1965 Comet Caliente (little red)

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Sugarmaker

1965 Comet Caliente (little red)

Post by Sugarmaker »

Folks,
Thanks for letting me come aboard and share.
Some back story:
My wife Cheryl and I double dated in a friends 65 Comet 4 door when we were kids (1969). That was a long time ago!:) The friend, dating my wife's sister, became my brother-in-law! That light blue Comet is long gone.
Fast forward through life 50 years!
A year or so ago I stopped to see a guy who had a nice 4 door 49 (I think) Merc setting in his drive. We visited and told me he had just sold his 40 Ford coupe the day before! I asked to see it and while restraining myself from drooling on the sold black 40, I saw this red comet in the other corner of his garage. I asked what he was going to do with it and he said he was not ready to sell it and he had many, many folks wanting to buy it. I liked it, and continued to talk to him every 6 months about the red 65 Comet. Last Sunday (Christmas Eve 2023) the owner and I came to agreement and my wife and I hope to pick it up in the next week or so.
I am brand new to the Comet but not to Fords, as Cheryl and I also dated in my grandfathers 65 Ford Falcon. We later owned a 1955 Ford Crown Vic for 30 years too. Most of our cars and all of the trucks have been Fords including our latest truck, a 1932 Ford ton and a half dump truck. (Can be found on the Ford Barn forum)
I know you guys want some pictures. And I will get some up as soon as I can. I just want to make sure this all happens as planned. I keep pinching myself!
(This is a warning!)
I tend to share a lot of info (content) and post a lot of pictures!Also I will have many questions about the 65 Comet cars! We have a friend close by that had a Cyclone, and is a Ford guy, plus another guy we met in Ohio that is very knowledgeable on these too. So help is close by too.
(FYI, the Sugarmaker name is from several other forums that I post on. We make Maple syrup in Northwestern
Pennsylvania hence the "Sugarmaker" handle.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Last edited by Sugarmaker on Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

poboyjo65

Re: 1965 Comet Caliente (little red)

Post by poboyjo65 »

we love pics & content bring it on! :D welcome on & good luck with it ! lots of help on here too, before you buy parts or anything mention it on here & get the low down on comets/parts with no sugar coatings :lol:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D If you had any mechanical familiarity with that 65 Falcon you mentioned, you're 90+% of the way there. We can help you fill in any gaps. What model is the Comet? What do you plan to do to it? We want to know all about it, and pics are a must. Here's how to post them: http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=16011. We'd like to hear about/see your 32 dump truck, too. There's a forum at the bottom of the main page called "All in the Family, Comet's Ford Sisters": https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32.

Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Other than the hood the Comet we are near receiving looks like yours in general but not a Cyclone. I am sure there are many differences we will find.
I will post some shots of the 32 to give you folks some pictures to view tonight.
I was too young to do much with the Falcon except drive the crap out of it. It was a 6 cyl, three on the tree. Top speed was 90 mph down hill with tail wind! Don't ask me how I know! It also would only do 60 in a country quarter mile, in second gear!
Wonder why the clutch went out in that and I had to tell Grandpa about it not moving !
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Last edited by Sugarmaker on Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Johno,
You guys will get lots of comet questions! Thanks for the welcome.
I will try to check in, and try to learn about these. Like drinking from a firehose!
Your blue Comet looks awesome!
Ok will try to answer your questions:
1. What model is it - It is a two door Caliente, red exterior, White interior and bucket seats, 289 and automatic transmission.
2. My plans are to the best inspection on it I can for all safety aspects and maintenance issues, Then take the wife for many many nice rides.
I have become almost too old to start a restoration project and have time to enjoy it too So this car is closer to a turn key driver, we hope!

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Folks,
Additional content and some non related pictures:
Our 32 Ford truck: Sorry our shop is always a mess, The truck is setting in the living room.

By the way it is done except for a windshield wiper rebuild someday in the future!

Besides the syrup thing (another forum). We have acquired several Allis-Chalmers tractors also (and another forum):):

And great grand kids:

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks like John Walton sr.'s truck!!! :D A little bit newer & beefier but sure is similar!!! If I had it I'd name it john walton & called JW for short. I love it! :D
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Great story, love the truck
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Thanks guys,
The truck has been couple year project in my spare time just to get it operational and moving well down the road. Cheryl and I like it but the "lil red Comet" should be a little more comfy for some extended trips.
A friend sent me this a couple days ago and it seemed appropriate for the season too:

Happy New year to all the Comet folks and families.
Hope things are good in Comet land!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You need to plan to make one of those extended trips to the Comet Gathering in Pigeon Forge, TN. We get together the first weekend in June every year. Check it out.
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 19&t=17309
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 19&t=17089
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 19&t=16476

Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Comet Folks,
We are almost to 2024, For Cheryl and I the beginning of a new time with a new Comet toy. I am really looking forward to this car coming home within a couple of weeks!
I will put up a couple pictures here for you to review. You guys will probably see a lot of things that I dont.
I did have a question about brakes. Is it a good idea to consider front disc brake conversion on these? This is not a hot rod and probably will never be. A friend said he has used the drum brakes and has not had an issue.

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

She's a clean looking car. 8) I like the color, too. :lol: A lot of guys have converted to discs. CSRP makes a nice conversion kit that a number of us have used. Discs are just safer than drums. Less susceptible to fade. At the very least you should consider converting to a double bowl master cylinder. The original fruit jar MC puts all your eggs in one basket. If anything happens to a brake line, you have zero brakes. The dual master separates the front brakes from the rear, so you can still stop.

Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim,
Thanks for the brake info. I may check that out. Did not know there was a single brake reservoir. Humm. Will see what the existing drum brakes look like. I see several kits for disc brakes Looks like I would have a couple thousand in new brakes and master cylinder at least. Have no idea of the past maintenance on the car? It is pretty much original, so things like brake lines, and fuel lines are a concern too.
Underside is not pretty, so keep your expectations real low , I post some pictures. This is not planned to be a restoration/ show car project.
Thanks for the invite to the Comet show. I did not get the distance yet but that's a good haul for us from up by lake Erie. We also have a Early V8 show for the the 32 scheduled for June 17 this year. And we have several antique tractor events too. But it would be great to get to a Comet specific show also in the future.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim, folks,
I did look at the map from our place to the only place in the world with many Comet each June, its a 9 hour ride. We took our 32 truck to Nashville in 2022 for a grand national show. Just have to stay in the left lane exiting Cincinnati! So this event is not totally out of the question. We have an old, open car hauler that we would use to haul the 65 that far. Family in Columbus Ohio could divide the drive time, and get a visit in with them too. We will think about it. Cheryl did not say no, but she doesn't say no to very much, and has spoiled me for 55 years!! (We don't even have a car yet and planning an event, Yea I have a problem)! Not sure another red 65 would be allowed in PF??? Might exceed the limit or some state law??
Happy New Year!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Love the color :D
Tom
tomb's 65