Loman's White 65 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
loman

Re: Loman's White 65 project

Post by loman »

Ran into a little snafu last week. This car had sat outside for 10 years after I bought it and probably longer from previous owner. We got it running and drove it around barn before it was parked at my grandmas. Then I bought a house with shed in 2004. We brought the car home and it has been inside ever since. A couple of times several years since the last time I would start it and put it in gear just to lube things up. Before i started working on it again, we were trying to push it and was having one heck of a time. So I took trans down to buddies and we were going to go through it and check it out and freshen things up. Well we couldn't get the input shaft out and it was rusty inside it. Seems there was moisture in it. So started digging through transmission pile and pulled out another C4. The 2nd trans needs the shifting arm swapped out since it had been cut to put a B&M floor shifter on it. I also have to swap the tail shaft because the screw that holds the speedo is broke off. I tried to get it out but couldn't.
Attachments
c4.JPG
c4.JPG (125.69 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
jasper trans2.JPG
jasper trans2.JPG (141.49 KiB) Viewed 3157 times

loman

Post by loman »

Last night I got the 289 painted and started painting some of the accesory parts for the motor.
Attachments
289.JPG
289.JPG (127.65 KiB) Viewed 3157 times

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

The auto trans that mystical object.
That is one of the things I know nothing about.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

loman wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:04 am
Last night I got the 289 painted and started painting some of the accesory parts for the motor.
Good color for the block :P I like it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

loman

Post by loman »

I got tailshaft and bellhousing changed. Shifting arms been swapped and new seals installed. I should have looked before but I didn't. The flexplate is all chewed up so guess I need to get new one. But I have a problem, my flexplate is 160 teeth. I Counted several times and 160 is correct. I never heard of that and all I see for it is a 157 or 164 plate. Anyone else run into this issue?

loman

Post by loman »

After some beer and googling yesterday, what i have figured out is the 160 flexplate was probably either from a 260 or early 289. In my case, it is the early 289. I also read that some people have installed a 157 in place of the 160. I borrowed a 157 tooth flexplate from a buddy and bolted it on and installed my spare bellhousing onto the motor and set on floor. Primed the motor, installed the starter, grabbed a spare solenoid and battery and hot wired everything. The starter engaged and turned the motor over several times so that is what i am going to try. Hopefully today i will have everything back in the car if time permits.

loman

Post by loman »

shifting arm and kickdown rod.jpg
shifting arm and kickdown rod.jpg (216.76 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
tailshaft swap.jpg
tailshaft swap.jpg (224.29 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
shifting arm and kickdown rod.jpg
shifting arm and kickdown rod.jpg (216.76 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
jasper trans 3.jpg
jasper trans 3.jpg (27.99 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
jasper trans2.JPG
jasper trans2.JPG (141.49 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
Here are some pictures of the transmission from the other week.

Turns out this past weekend after talking to the crew chief, he found a 157 tooth flexplate at his house. So i removed my buddy's flexplate and installed the one crew chief found. We bolted the motor to the trans and set everything back in the car with new motor mounts. Nice to have motor back in the car. NOw it is time to start buttoning things back up. I'm looking forward to getting all the loose parts around the shop back on the car. We want to change some things on 390 car, and i don't want to have parts from 2 cars scattered about the shop.
Attachments
shift arm o ring.jpg
shift arm o ring.jpg (225.34 KiB) Viewed 2949 times

loman

Post by loman »

Well we started the motor and got it running again. Put it in gear and trans wouldn't move. Then later on we noticed water in the trans fluid and trans fluid in the coolant. Had no clue that the radiator must have split between the trans cooler and engine coolant. So we took the motor and trans back out. Me and my buddy tore down the trans again and cleaned everything back out. We even disassembled the valve body and made sure everything was clean. I also had the converter rebuilt (side note on converter later). While motor was out I knocked out the freeze plugs and flushed that out again. So over the New Years I reassembled everything and put back in car. Fired motor up and added transmission fluid. Still using same old radiator buy I have the trans lines looped right now and not going to radiator. Put car in gear and everything is working. The car actually moved under its own power in and out of the shed for the first time in a very long time. I'll shove the car back in the corner and start working on race cars again, occasionally working on this one.

Converter side notes. If you have any old converters laying around, don't get rid of them. Apparently cores for the old stock ones are getting hard to find. Luckily, they had a core when they did mine so all I had to do was give him my old one. Otherwise I was going to have to send mine in and have them rebuild and send back.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

loman wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:16 pm

Converter side notes. If you have any old converters laying around, don't get rid of them. Apparently cores for the old stock ones are getting hard to find. Luckily, they had a core when they did mine so all I had to do was give him my old one. Otherwise I was going to have to send mine in and have them rebuild and send back.
Good to know. I have a c4 & c6 one laying around,have thought about chunking them but they're half full of fluid & I didnt want to deal with it spilling everywhere. I'll just leave em be.
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

Got the rear brakes assembled this weekend and ran new line from master cylinder all the way back. Bought most things from Rock Auto except for the bendable brake line and wheel cylinders. I was also surprised that the new parts hardware kit didn't come with the the whell cylinder pushrods. The local parts store had trouble looking those up as well but we finally found them. I bought a new rubber flex line that goes from the axle to the hard line that runs back from the front. I bought it under the Comet section on Rock Auto but I didn't like it. it was shorter than the original that I took off. Also, I had the jackstands underneath the axles and not the body. When I went to install it, it barely reached. If the suspension was hanging I believe there would be a lot of pressure pulling on that hose. So I went back to the parts store and have a longer one coming. The Raybestos box is the part that was shorter that came from Rock Auto.
Attachments
brake hose 2.JPG
brake hose 2.JPG (137.99 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
brake drum.JPG
brake drum.JPG (109.99 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
brake hose.JPG
brake hose.JPG (83.53 KiB) Viewed 2552 times

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I had a similar situation with the rear brake hose on my Comet, mainly being it was practically touching the exhaust pipe on the driver's side where it passed over the axel. I replaced it with a hose for a 70's model F150 truck. Can't remember the exact year, but I think the new hose was 22" long. That gave me the extra length to route the hose away from the exhaust pipe. For good measure, I split a 10" length of gas line, placed it around the center portion of the brake hose and synched in place with zip ties.

Jim

loman

Post by loman »

Brake lines are now on the car and I got brake fluid to each wheel. Just need to get the crew chief to stop by and help me bleed them.

peterr991

Post by peterr991 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:29 pm
I had a similar situation with the rear brake hose on my Comet, mainly being it was practically touching the exhaust pipe on the driver's side where it passed over the axel. I replaced it with a hose for a 70's model F150 truck. Can't remember the exact year, but I think the new hose was 22" long. That gave me the extra length to route the hose away from the exhaust pipe. For good measure, I split a 10" length of gas line, placed it around the center portion of the brake hose and synched in place with zip ties.

Jim
looks perfect, very nice color :)

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

loman wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:50 pm
Brake lines are now on the car and I got brake fluid to each wheel. Just need to get the crew chief to stop by and help me bleed them.
If you replace the factory bleeders with these: http://www.speedbleeder.com/ you will be able to bleed the system by yourself. I have them in my Comet and also installed them in my friends ‘33 Ford hot rod, they work perfectly. By far the best money I have spent on brake tools. I have a vacuum bleeder and a pressure bleeder, with the speed bleeders installed I do not use them anymore.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

loman wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:16 pm
Well we started the motor and got it running again. Put it in gear and trans wouldn't move. Then later on we noticed water in the trans fluid and trans fluid in the coolant. Had no clue that the radiator must have split between the trans cooler and engine coolant. So we took the motor and trans back out. Me and my buddy tore down the trans again and cleaned everything back out. We even disassembled the valve body and made sure everything was clean. I also had the converter rebuilt (side note on converter later). While motor was out I knocked out the freeze plugs and flushed that out again. So over the New Years I reassembled everything and put back in car. Fired motor up and added transmission fluid. Still using same old radiator buy I have the trans lines looped right now and not going to radiator. Put car in gear and everything is working. The car actually moved under its own power in and out of the shed for the first time in a very long time. I'll shove the car back in the corner and start working on race cars again, occasionally working on this one.

someday I may need to build a bent 8and slush box just for the experience, but you guys know me maybe too common :lol: would definitely need you guys if I ever undertook such a project on the cheap.don’t know what I would enjoy more, have to find a good car to start with maybe a late model Comet,pre ‘74 if I could find a good cheap one, have to determine what my end goal would be for such a car. More likely to get my hands on a 60/61if I could talk my uncle out of it, not sure that would be a V8 project or a 4cylinder ranger car with modern drivetrain for my wife and I to make trips in when feeling lazy, I am afraid I would always choose the ‘64 :lol:have to get it “complete and on the road first,then my thoughts of building something else may disappear completly :lol:
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058