Pics of Pops Comet

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
poboyjo65

Re: Pics of Pops Comet

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well if you haven't already, go out there tomorrow & rake out those trunk seal gutters. that dirt is drivin me nuts after having to replace mine. I have a roof off of 65 hardtop in the bed of an old truck & every month or two I clean out the drip rails on it.

I just love the stance & the big rubber on this car! tell us a little about your plans for it, I think you said you're going with a 351w based motor, & mustangII frontend right? what about interior? Cage? racing seats or stock? will you go to the strip with it on weekends that the dirtrack is closed?
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WAS GOING 460 c6,,think we backed out on that ,,we have a sweet running 351w that we have put aside from early days of raceing,,so that and a 4spd is what me and son are leaning toward...it will get put on the lift in a day or so ,as soon as we change out rear end in my dirt car,,then the comet will get a power wash from top to bottom and inside,,the floor brds and qtrs are in great shape..SON said a 10 pt cage,,I pretty much gave it to DWAYNE,,BUT I AGREED to help build and help pay for it......this comet was a 260 green dot tranny,,,I bought it and a 64 cyclone complete with the 4spd, about 25 yrs ago,for 500.00,,they both sat for awhile and I sold the cyclone,,then I meet a guy at a car show,,he had the pro street rear end complete with tires and whls ,,,a friend of mine dad was a heck of a metal fab man,,and his dad told me he'd like to pro street a car,said he'd never done one,,so's I said well mr GAINES,,I have the car and the complete set up ,,he kept the comet for so long working on it,that I honestly forgot about it ,he lived 50 or so miles from me.....out of sight out of mind....yr or so later he called me and said come get it,it's done ! so that's when life got in the way and it was pushed back in the weeds ...son has talked about trying to get it done in time to take it to PF next june,,,it'll lean toward a race car,,look......me and son are thinking about not raceing anymore after this season,so's we can devote more time and money to my cobra and his 67fst back mustang,,after this pro street is done
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Can't wait to see this car done. I think you have bigger tires than my car.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

they are 33x19.5,,,,with 40 in wheel tubs.......
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:they are 33x19.5,,,,with 40 in wheel tubs.......
A better look at the beef out back.

Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

she needs alittle floor brd patches in a couple of places,,we just got it on the lift,,,,,needs washing top inside and bottom......but over all to have been sitting for 23 yrs in the weeds,,it's in good shape,,the rear qtrs. are great!!!....it's still up in the air....either a 4spd or an AT...rear gear is of no concern,,,we have so many dirt track gears we have a good choice....it'll be in the 5's or the 6's..which ever turns it the way we want it to turn ...we have most everything to build it..those tires still hold air for about 3 days...never would have thought that,but they do !!.....we have some more raceing to do before season's end,,4 nights I think...then we will go full bore ...we have a special gathering we want to take it to the 1st Friday of may...so that is our projected time frame...if life don't get in the way...POP
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Man!! if I had it to do over this is what mine would look like out back,, BEAUTY!! 8)
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THANKS FRED ! me and son are shootin to take it to PF next june,,,it won't be pretty to look at,,,but it will be hittin on all 8....then we will bring it back and take it apart and do what it takes to make it worth looking at.....
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:THANKS FRED ! me and son are shootin to take it to PF next june,,,it won't be pretty to look at,,,but it will be hittin on all 8....then we will bring it back and take it apart and do what it takes to make it worth looking at.....
OL POP NEVER GETS rid of anything..I build or start stuff ,have to stop for what ever reason,,but I hang on to it...I keep this stuff under the mind set,,,one of these days my kids may want it,,,,and sure e'nuff last week,DWAYNE and I was sittin out in the shop and he said..hey DAD..lets finish the pro street comet for PF next june....so here we go !!! AFTER AT LEAST 23 YRS....POP
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Awesome Pop!
That little car is gonna be badass!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:THANKS FRED ! me and son are shootin to take it to PF next june,,,it won't be pretty to look at,,,but it will be hitting on all 8....
Imo, tail lights, 460 done! Nobody makes'em pretty anymore, do they?
Honest, leave the body, make the engine bay, undercarriage and racecar interior cool, done.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

yesterday,was the 1st time I had ever seen the bottom side ,other then bending down and looking under it....we were well pleased with it,,,the posi unit seems to be working ok also,,,you could hear it while rolling and turning as we see sawed it on the lift,,as it has no steering other then a square tube from side to side to tie the frt wheels together,,,seems like this comet has never been hit,,core support everything is perfect,frame rails ain't bent battery location has a nickle size hole,shock towers everything under hood is the best of shape....the s towers are coming out,but never the less ,,under the hood engine bay is perfect.....JUST A LOT OF WORK LOOKING AT US..what little rust is on it ,really ain't much to fix,the bottom of both qtrs. are perfect......thanks ...POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pics of Mrs. Pop's car, AKA Mrs Glenda,& the reason Pop is always smiling. :)
Pop you & the boys did a fine job on this car!!!!!! :D

& a couple of Pop's 66 with cometheadish patina ! :lol: that's a sharp old truck POP!!!! :D

Last edited by poboyjo65 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Wow, nice Ford!! Really like the color combo.

Really, really like the tires on the back of the pro street lol

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

That sure is a pretty looking Ford
tomb's 65