"Ruby" my 62 Mercury Comet

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
1962Comet

"Ruby" my 62 Mercury Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

Hey All,

I just joined the forum and I'm excited to dive into my Comet project. Picked it up this last weekend from my mother-in-law. My father-in-law passed away a month ago and this was his restoration project. I was fortunate enough to be asked if i was interested in the car and I jumped on it. I've been thinking about getting a car to restore when my kids are done with college (one just finished and the other is a Junior) so the timing is about right. I'm hoping to make many friends here and learn a little at the same time. Here are a few pictures of "Ruby" (named by my father-in-law), my 62 Comet.

Dan

"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." Doh! how often does this happen?
1962 Comet - 2-Door, 170 cu.in. with 6,950 Original Miles.
https://www.dplivingston.com/picking-up ... -62-comet/ <-- follow my 1962 Comet Restoration.

popscomet

Re: "Ruby" my 62 Mercury Comet

Post by popscomet »

You already got the part of making new friends,took care of,.you joined !! welcome, sorry about the way you got your comet,,but your father-in-law is probaly smileing...just ask and you shall receive,,,,any thing you can come up with concerning a comet..this site is the DEAR ABBY or ANN LANDERS on a comet.........POP
pop/glenda

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Dan
Welcome. You have to load your pictures to a site like photobucket then link them here.

1962Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

Thanks for the replies. Didn't know links were the way to post photos. Now I know. Here's my baby

Dan
https://www.dplivingston.com/picking-up ... -62-comet/ <-- follow my 1962 Comet Restoration.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

very nice,does the inside look as good as out side,cars like that run for ever,good luck....pop
pop/glenda

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Man! That thing looks cherry especially for NY.

1962Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

Pop, Inside is very nice except for the vinyl floor. All cracked. Did these come with carpet or vinyl or was the carpet over the vinyl, as I see no signs of having carpet?

Juddp, It was originally a Fla car, but it's been stored since 75 or so in PA & NY.

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DAN,it did not come with carpet,as nice as it is today,when new it was just transportation,cheap to buy,cheap to operate,so rubber floor covering was what you got. does it have an automatic or standard trans ?..pop
pop/glenda

1962Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

popscomet wrote: does it have an automatic or standard trans ?..pop
Pop, thanks for the info. It's an automatic. Is replacement vinyl available or do folks just put in carpet? I'm making my list of parts I want for Christmas!

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DAN,I'm sure you can get the rubber mats for it,some one with that year of comet will get on here and say for sure.Don't think any of them even came with carpet in that model back then...again thats a nice car.....enjoy.....pop
pop/glenda

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Dan, nice looking Comet! I am pretty sure that carpet from a 64 or 65 will fit perfectly in your car. Just make sure you order it for an automatic car. RCMike should know for sure. I think he has carpet in his 63.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

1962Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

Pop, I've looked around the last few days for the replacement mat without any luck. I figured the purists would not accept a carpet but I may have no choice.

Boss, funny thing is I've been going through my father in laws reciepts and it looks like he purchased some carpet but I didn't see any when I picked up the car. I'll have to check with my mother in law.

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DAN,the purist part is all well and good,,but its your car,do it your way,it'll be nice either way..do you have the hub caps ??what about a bumper jack?? what kind of shape is the motor and tranny ? take care....pop
pop/glenda

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

My car has carpet, it am assuming it was put in when the previous owner had his local boat guy redo the whole interior in the white vinyl back in the 80s.. I think I have seen the carpet for sale on MACs maybe..
'63 Comet Hardtop

1962Comet

Post by 1962Comet »

popscomet wrote:DAN,the purist part is all well and good,,but its your car,do it your way,it'll be nice either way..do you have the hub caps ??what about a bumper jack?? what kind of shape is the motor and tranny ? take care....pop
Pop, yep, hub caps in the trunk along with the Jack. Still taking inventoryof what is here. Motor and tranny should be in decent shape as they have very few miles on them. I was able to start it up anddrive it onto the trailer without much trouble.

RCMike,
If I can locate the carpet my father in law purchased, that may be the way to go.
Dan