Ant's 65 Comet Build

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
ec164

Re: Ant's 65 Comet Build

Post by ec164 »

Nice looking Comet Ant!!!1 Sits nice, I like the color combination and wheels, Cool.............Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Al

thanks! I can't wait to get all the bugs worked out then I'll start on the body.

Ant

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Ant - Thanks again and looks great man!!

JH
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Ant your car has a great stance! Looks good.

ants875

Post by ants875 »

thanks guys for the compliments!!

Ant

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

GREAT looking COMET..love those whls,,had a set almost identical on my S code 67 FB s'tang back in the late 60's,in fact I think there may be a couple of them at the old place in storeage if someone hasn't stolen them,,,POP
pop/glenda

ants875

Post by ants875 »

So I got a couple things done on the comet today:

First of all I got the oil changed, finally got 500 miles on the motor, oil looked good and I had the machine shop cut the filter open to check it. ALL WAS GOOD!!!!!!!
I did check the thrust clearance and it was .006 only curious thing about that was last time I checked I thought it was .008 but I'll take that it has not grown larger.

Then I finally got the 9" installed that went smother then I thought it would. Driveline fit perfect. Had a couple issues with the brake lines on the drivers side for some reason the flare did not come out right so I just made a new line for that side and it was good to go. Biggest pain was changing the proportioning valve, that is one job I hate on these cars!

Drove it home after work diff sounds great and brakes feel perfect. This is the first Detroit locker I've ever had so I did not know what to expect, some claim they are noisy but I did not hear or feel anything. In fact through the last turn I let the car coast and it felt fine so I'm super happy with every thing.

By the time I got done I was so tired and hungry I was shaking so I didn't get any pics but will later.

Thanks again Roy for the advise and the parts!

Ant

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Awesome man, glad you got rear, etc. swapped out. And REALLY happy to hear no thrust issues!! Why'd you need to swap the proportioning valve?

JH
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Good lookin car Ant, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

loman

Post by loman »

Your car looks great. I like the 2 tone combo. It's good to see you are able to finally enjoy your car after everything you had to overcome.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Let me see here, freshly built 347, freshly broke in,manual trans, new beefy locker rearend, spring time,,,,, I think I smell a couple tires burning! :D
Johno

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Rocket989 wrote:Awesome man, glad you got rear, etc. swapped out. And REALLY happy to hear no thrust issues!! Why'd you need to swap the proportioning valve?

JH

The 8.8had disc brakes and the 9" has drums so I got the right proportioning valve for disc/drum brakes. I know I kind of went backward on the brakes but they are 11"drums and the cars seems to stop as well as it did with the disks.

Thanks everyone for the complements!

Ant

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Took the car out yesterday and put about 50 miles on it all told and it ran great. It sounds to me like the whole car was quite and smoother with the 9". Really makes no sense why that would be, maybe I'm just kidding myself. Either way I'm happy with the way she ran.

Ant

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well have you really got on it yet? I'm thinking with those little tires you'll need to get it up to about 3rd gear before you can open it up all the way with out spinning??
Johno

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Of course I've opened it up! It goes like a bat out hell! I'm not sure it spins tire anymore then any other muscle car I've owed. Tires are not that tiny they are 245/60/15 in the back which I'm sure are bigger then stock. Of course I have not dumped the clutch from a stop usually get it rolling then stab it and when I grab 2nd she likes to slide for a ways but that is the fun of these cars.

Ant