MY DREAM COME TRUE

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
thos25

MY DREAM COME TRUE

Post by thos25 »

Hi, I am finally ready to show off what has been an almost 20 year quest. I found this car destroyed in a rail yard with a large red X sprayed on it to indicate it was to be crushed. The railroad folks said it was not theirs and they wanted it gone so I contacted a friend with a large wrecker and we literally lifted it to my house since it had no front or rear undercarriage. It also lacked EVERYTHING but the shell. After twenty years of foraging for parts throughout the U.S. for numbers correct parts this is the final result.
Actually the story starts in 1967 when my youngest brother bought a 64 CYCLONE that was the same CARNIVAL RED. His high school album is covered with superlatives about his CYCLONE as the coolest car in town. Well Uncle Sam came knocking for him in 1968 just as he had for me and my second brother earlier. The difference this time was he was killed in combat in March 1969 and never came back.
The CYCLONE remained in my moms garage for several months and I begged her to let me have it for my son however she just couldn't bear the sight of the car and sold it while I was away at college. I understood her then as I do today but I vowed I would get another CYCLONE someday. I just didn't think it would take almost twenty years to realize my dream. I have permanent license plates on it that read 19MAR69 the day he died and his spirit is alive and well in evey inch of the car you see.
I am sorry to bore you with this long narrative but I guess the moral of it is that with any project you may have don't ever lose sight of YOUR dream!
THANKS to all who may have labored through my rant!
Kind Regards, TOMImage
Last edited by thos25 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: MY DREAM COME TRUE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Tom;anyone that was bored by your story has NO SOLE!! I Thank You and your Family for your Service and Ultimate Sacrifice to our Country! I am also a Veteran,US ARMY 66-72,some how stayed Stateside during Vietnam.I bought my 65 Comet in Spring of 67 while stationed at Fort Riley,Kansas,from a 2nd Luey that was starting a family and wanted a station wagon!Your Comet looks great and you should be proud of all the work it took to get it to this point! Great Tribute to your Brother! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Tom I'm with Roy, a great tribute! anybody thats bored can turn the page.Would like to see more pics !
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Tom what an awesome car and a beautiful dedication to your brother! It's been a long time coming for you...now it's time to enjoy it! More pics and details when you are able.
Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

6T5 404

Post by 6T5 404 »

Tom,
I am a little late to the party, however, I echo what everyone else has said. Congratulations on a fantastic tribute to a deserving cause. You can be proud of your accomplishment.
Dave

Groover

Post by Groover »

Tom,

It is an inspiring story and an awesome car. We look forward to hearing more about you and where you drive it.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Wow, awesome story. Do you have any pictures of when you got it. Sounds like you really saved that Cyclone from being scrap.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Great story Tom! I love when people put such heart and soul into a build. Makes it that more rewarding when finished. I owned a 63 Comet S-22 for 19 years and the original owner sold it 37 years ago. We somehow connected on the internet and long story short i sold him his car back. He just completed the restoration this summer. The first ride he took it on was to my house. It is so beautiful. Nobody ever thought i would ever sell that car, but i knew what it meant to him and that it would finally get completed. I can't explain the feelings i had when it pulled in my driveway. Kudos to you on your tribute! Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Tom, quick thing I noticed. The flags on 65's have red checkered flags, 64's have black checkered flags. I am not picking on the car, it is a beauty. Just thought you should know.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

tinnocker

Post by tinnocker »

This is one time the story is better than the car. I love '64-'65 Comets and I can look at them on the internet and at the car shows but I can't come across a story like that one. I was in the service and was like Roy, never had to go to Nam but we all knew of those that gave their life for their country. It was a bad war that still leaves bitter memories in this country.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IT's hard not to get a lump in your throat after reading the LOVE and RESPECT in this story,and the COMET is great,thank-you for sharing and a big ,big thanks to your brother,,,we all know he's looking down and grining ear to ear....HONAR-LOVE-RESPECT,that just about says it ALL !!pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

whether by design or by chance, I like the black 64 flags ! goes with the tribute to your brother & his 64. You did a wonderful job on the car, it is beautiful !

I clicked on the pic & saw more pics, I keep forgetting to do that. thought I'd mention it for others like me who are,,, not used to computers.
I want to thank you & your family for your service & sacrifice.
btw, I think everyone will agree with me, you could not possibly bore us with any stories about this car .
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:whether by design or by chance, I like the black 64 flags ! goes with the tribute to your brother & his 64.
That's what I was getting at, admittedly not very clearly. A tribute, consiciously or not. A nod to the 64 from years ago.
Larry

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Tom you're not boring a one of us with the story behind your car - we are all Comet fans and everyone has a story. Thanks for sharing both your story and your car with us - takes a HUGE amount of love and dedication to do what you have done, and I know your brother is proud and honored. Enjoy that car!
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CAME back and watched the slideshow 3 times,you did good,REAL GOOD,not only on the comet,but for your brother's memory....thank-you pop
pop/glenda