‘64 Falcon Track Project

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
comethead

Re: ‘64 Falcon Track Project

Post by comethead »

I think I’m agreeing with the thermostat stuck open too. At that low temp the water shouldn’t even be flowing through the radiator at all. Should be bypassing back into the block until it heats up. I plan on draining the radiator and block soon to flush it all out. Good time to remove that thermostat and check it or just replace it.
Ive had this set for years but never used it. https://www.moroso.com/water-outlet-res ... -kit63440/
What do you think about restrictors? Any experience with them? I could delete the thermostat completely and just use the metered water flow with a restrictor. But I’m not sure.

Thanks again guys!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I never ran a stat just a big washer but forget size.
Brian Guggenmos has the motor now,, might still be in there,,lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Fred! I think I may go that route too.

Joe

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I have been using a Robert Shaw high flow thermostat for years on a number of engines. They may cost more but they work. How many cheaper units plus hassle and labor can you install and not work properly?
Jim
https://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/produc ... thermostat
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Good job driving, Joe 👍 She sticks and handles well after you get her warmed up.
Heck, you're reeling 'em in now. Looks like time for promotion to Crazy Class :lol:
Thanks for bringing us on the ride! It's fun just to watch this business. :D

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

comethead wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:08 am
Dag blast it Jim I can’t please you!!!! :lol: :lol:
The GoPro mount I have doesn’t have a vertical adjustment. But I know Amazon has one that does!! I did try to get around the mirror but couldn’t this time. Im still learning all the tech stuff haha.
Yeah, I know, I'm a pain. But I keep bobbing and weaving trying to look around that mirror. :lol: I was looking for someone to high-five when you got around Mr. Pantera. 8) I don't know about a restrictor. It would be a fixed flow that couldn't compensate for any significant changes in ambient temperature from one race day to the next, season to season, if that occurs out there. And I saw some footage of you driving it on the street, too, which the restrictor couldn't adjust for. I'd pull the current stat and see if its stuck partially open. Maybe replace with a 190 stat.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Before you start pulling it apart & changing things Joe I would test that gauge. check the motor with a known good gauge, like a hand held infrared one. watch the gauge when you first fire up the cold motor . I had a bad gauge once ( read too hot) that I finally noticed it got hot really fast, way hot, & way fast,like before the t-stat had a chance to open,so when I noticed that I knew it was reading wrong. yours could be failing on the other extreme. See if it takes too long to warm up. could be reading less than what it actually is.

Hey thanks for sharing the vids with us! :D
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:31 am
I have been using a Robert Shaw high flow thermostat for years on a number of engines. They may cost more but they work. How many cheaper units plus hassle and labor can you install and not work properly?
Jim
https://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/produc ... thermostat
Thanks Jim I’ll check those out.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:53 am
Good job driving, Joe 👍 She sticks and handles well after you get her warmed up.
Heck, you're reeling 'em in now. Looks like time for promotion to Crazy Class :lol:
Thanks for bringing us on the ride! It's fun just to watch this business. :D

Joe II
Haha thanks Joe. Next event I’m gonna try to run with the higher class just to see where I stand. Im aware of the cars and my limitations so Im not trying to convince myself that I can run with the real race cars. Well I guess I could but there would have to be car upgrades and a class or two on high performance driving. Im not ready for that just yet.
Another thing is I’ve watched the stupid Willow Springs crash videos on YT (I probably shouldn’t :lol: ). There’s a ton of them. Kinda keeps things in perspective too. Gotta ask myself why I do this, what I’m expecting from it all. Ive wrecked on the street and it hurts…my kids still need me lol!

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:07 am
comethead wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:08 am
Dag blast it Jim I can’t please you!!!! :lol: :lol:
The GoPro mount I have doesn’t have a vertical adjustment. But I know Amazon has one that does!! I did try to get around the mirror but couldn’t this time. Im still learning all the tech stuff haha.
Yeah, I know, I'm a pain. But I keep bobbing and weaving trying to look around that mirror. :lol: I was looking for someone to high-five when you got around Mr. Pantera. 8) I don't know about a restrictor. It would be a fixed flow that couldn't compensate for any significant changes in ambient temperature from one race day to the next, season to season, if that occurs out there. And I saw some footage of you driving it on the street, too, which the restrictor couldn't adjust for. I'd pull the current stat and see if its stuck partially open. Maybe replace with a 190 stat.

Jim
Thanks Jim! Good call on the thermostat. I do bolt mufflers and license plates to the car and drive to local car shows when I can. So I need to weigh that too. I have the winter to get this sorted out.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:51 pm
Before you start pulling it apart & changing things Joe I would test that gauge. check the motor with a known good gauge, like a hand held infrared one. watch the gauge when you first fire up the cold motor . I had a bad gauge once ( read too hot) that I finally noticed it got hot really fast, way hot, & way fast,like before the t-stat had a chance to open,so when I noticed that I knew it was reading wrong. yours could be failing on the other extreme. See if it takes too long to warm up. could be reading less than what it actually is.

Hey thanks for sharing the vids with us! :D
Thanks Johnnie! I’ve always wanted one of those IR temp gauges. Now I have a reason to get one :lol:
The change in temp did occur from one event to the next. So at one point it ran warmer in the 180-190 range. Im going to check the gauge and sender first then move on the the t-stat. Thanks amigo!

Joe

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:28 pm
Haha thanks Joe. Next event I’m gonna try to run with the higher class just to see where I stand. Im aware of the cars and my limitations so Im not trying to convince myself that I can run with the real race cars. Well I guess I could but there would have to be car upgrades and a class or two on high performance driving. Im not ready for that just yet.
Another thing is I’ve watched the stupid Willow Springs crash videos on YT (I probably shouldn’t :lol: ). There’s a ton of them. Kinda keeps things in perspective too. Gotta ask myself why I do this, what I’m expecting from it all. Ive wrecked on the street and it hurts…my kids still need me lol!

Joe
I hear ya. Crazy Class, roller cam & aluminum heads will really eat into your wallet, bust your tire budget. May bust your head open :wink:
Nothing wrong w/ lapping the field :lol:

Couple things watching your latest vid; Pantera looks like it needs an overhaul. Entering turn #4 looks like a bear :shock:

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Post by comethead »

Last video of that 20 minute session https://youtu.be/0Vy_uzjGySE?si=E-f0p8QHqB9aT47S

I was able to drive every session/both days for my group this time. A first! :D

Thank you all for watching.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:39 pm
comethead wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:28 pm

Joe
I hear ya. Crazy Class, roller cam & aluminum heads will really eat into your wallet, bust your tire budget. May bust your head open :wink:
Nothing wrong w/ lapping the field :lol:

Couple things watching your latest vid; Pantera looks like it needs an overhaul. Entering turn #4 looks like a bear :shock:

Joe II
Yeah I’m happy where Im at for now. It’s a big improvement as far as confidence and ability from the early track events I did.
And the Pantera was so cool. It may be an original survivor? Couldn’t really tell but I know its been well used!

Turns 3 4 5 and 6 are challenging. It’s that horse shoe shaped part of the track. It’s the slowest part but elevation and camber changes and tight corners make it tough. The car likes those corners. Seems like that’s where I reel in the heavier cars :twisted:

Man that whole road course is a tire killer too!!

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

One of my buddies Omar posted this video of the day at the track. Lots of cool cars! Nice to see it from the perspective of a spectator. Sometimes I get so caught up on running the car I forget to see the cool car show happening.
https://youtu.be/jUwiXM08yTY?si=Bp4qG-Tt2R5Lv4w0

Joe