65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
lavron
Site Admin

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by lavron »

I want to switch to composite headlights when I get that far, LED if I can find cheap ones :P also going to relay mine. Quads seem a bit harder to find than singles, there is more offered in the larger headlight at better prices but I will find something :roll:

I am interested in what you come up with, I still have old sealed beams, of course, and have forgotten how dim they are I am sure, I can remember that it is pretty hard to see at night. I am switching all my lighting over to LED, I figure that they use less power = less strain on the electrical system which has to help something :roll:

Glad to hear most things are starting to shake out, can't wait to get there myself.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:I want to switch to composite headlights when I get that far, LED if I can find cheap ones :P also going to relay mine. Quads seem a bit harder to find than singles, there is more offered in the larger headlight at better prices but I will find something :roll:

I am interested in what you come up with, I still have old sealed beams, of course, and have forgotten how dim they are I am sure, I can remember that it is pretty hard to see at night. I am switching all my lighting over to LED, I figure that they use less power = less strain on the electrical system which has to help something :roll:

Glad to hear most things are starting to shake out, can't wait to get there myself.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike -

In going to dig into it a little more before I jump, but I definitely need to address the night driving. Since 3 out of 4 drives will most likely be to work, that's a lot of 5AM straining to see! Again, it's ok now, but could be better. I'll let you know what we come up with.

Dsn
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Nothing on the lights yet, but another "revision." If you fellas recall I ran the exhaust to the mufflers then dumped turn-downs down and out towards the side, just in front of the pinion. After longish cruises I would lay a hand on the pumpkin and it would be quite hot, and I couldn't decide if it was the gear or the exhaust doing it. Whipped up these offset tail pipes last night as a test; after 15-20 miles this morning the rear was cool to the touch, so there's our answer. The offsets I stuck on are just cut and flipped u-bends, and I stopped them just shy of center of the axle tube, so yes, I can jack the rear with then in place. They'll take some tweaking to look better, but off on a 45 mile ride to a local cruise in today, so they'll get dialed later.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I see that and under if I could run my exhaust under the rear axle instead of over. I guess one issue would be needing to have a provision for detaching them if I needed to remove the rear end.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

What a blast! Put almost 100 miles on the old 65 today and ended up at the Main Street Cruise In in Cleveland, TN. Figure the odds of showing up and finding a spot in the shade! The little 65 grabbed a little attention, so that's always fun. No issues with the old girl, even with tons of stoplight to stoplight traffic.

Might even be comfortable enough to make that 100 mile run to PF soon. ;)

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

bigdan wrote:Might even be comfortable enough to make that 100 mile run to PF soon.
I hope so! I'm looking forward to meeting you and the 65. :D

Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Well, nothing on the 65 for the last week. Had an opportunity pop up to grab a small lathe/mill for the shop so I jumped at it - nothing fancy, just a Smithy 1340. Maybe I can step up to a bigger machine later, but this will do for now.

Other than that, just putting miles in the old girl!

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

A little update . . .

Growing pains continue. Almost 700 miles on the 65 now so she's getting comfortable being on the road and seems to be a hit wherever she goes. That being said, now it's brake issues.

For clarification, I'm running the Kelsey-Hayes 4 piston calipers up front, and an aftermarket 9in/ small bearing single piston caliper in the rear.

So, 80 mile round trip last weekend to a local cruise, all good until about a mile from the house started smelling brakes. Got it in the shop and found the rear LH caliper dragging and no rear caliper movement. I'll cut to the chase; after tons of troubleshooting, all 4 calipers operate correctly as does the e- brake. Not sure of why it started now, as we had all 4 corners bleeding, but it appears to be a master cylinder issue. Since the master was part of a kit, decided to go with a known quantity and ordered a disc/disc master that should be here Friday. Frustrating, but these things happen. I'll update as soon as we're on the road again!

Thanks for looking -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thanks for the update Dan, I like hearing of break-in trials actually, lets me know some of things I may have to look forward too :roll: :P Hopefully brakes won't be one of them, my '64 has had brake issues from the day I brought it home and was the reason it was parked the last time, I would have probably been wise to buy all in one solution known to work together but I am too cheap I guess :oops:

I am glad to hear she is getting some miles on her.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:Thanks for the update Dan, I like hearing of break-in trials actually, lets me know some of things I may have to look forward too :roll: :P Hopefully brakes won't be one of them, my '64 has had brake issues from the day I brought it home and was the reason it was parked the last time, I would have probably been wise to buy all in one solution known to work together but I am too cheap I guess :oops:

I am glad to hear she is getting some miles on her.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike - I'm sure there are those that put a car on the road for the first time without issue, but I'm not one of them! Since the master cylinder was an unknown, I ordered the wilwood disc/ disc master I should've used in the first place. Of course the first one was missing the push rod (really?) so that put me down another day. But, it finally got here so maybe tomorrow I can get to the install.

As for my old master cylinder, I took it out to the gravel and gave it a good pump. The rear fitting shot fluid 20 ft. The front barely dribbled, so I'd guess that was the issue.

More later -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So an update. Fought the brakes all week trying to get them done before that Saturday morning cruise to PF. As luck would have it, the first master showed up with no pushrod, so that forced us back another day. I bought the Wilwood master for a 65 Mustang, and surprisingly enough had to shorten the pushrod, so that took a little calculating, mock up, etc. to get that right. I got it bled late Friday evening with no time for a test drive, so that sunk my hopes of a PF run. I finished fiddling with it Saturday morning, though, and at least made it to a local cruise, so it wasn't a complete busted weekend.

End result? Amazing. Completely different car. I've built several manual brakes cars and none compare to this setup. With the 4 piston up front and the singles in the rear, also probably with the help of the 275's, I now have predictable brakes that stop NOW or smoothly. :mrgreen: So, I guess it's time to turn the timing up a bit and make it fast now! (Fast-er, that is :wink: ).

Thanks for looking- keep posting those gathering pics -

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hate that you didn't get to make it to the gathering in PF, but glad you got 'er fixed. I was looking forward to meeting you, and going over your car top to bottom. We had a great time at PF, with folks from all over. Squeeze out any remaining bugs, and we'll hope to see you next year! :D

Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Hate that you didn't get to make it to the gathering in PF, but glad you got 'er fixed. I was looking forward to meeting you, and going over your car top to bottom. We had a great time at PF, with folks from all over. Squeeze out any remaining bugs, and we'll hope to see you next year! :D

Jim
Thanks, Jim. It was my plan all along to make every attempt to get to PF, but these things happen. On top of everything else, I was promoted at work and that brings with it more hours on the job, so that's taken away from the 65 also. I'll get there eventually, though.

Thanks again -

Dzn

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Congratulations on the promotion! :D

Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Congratulations on the promotion! :D

Jim
Thanks!