Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
popscomet

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:32 am
Man,,, I thought I had a few projects on the go!
Pedal to the metal!!
Fred
after the mustangs,,we may pretty well call it done,but I also have a true 1964 mustang built on the 17th day of production that I have had somewhere around 35 or so yrs,that I use to drive yrs ago...it may be for sale...POP never gets rid of much,never have,,,am like a hoarder when it comes to fords and parts,,,,it may be a gift or it may be a sickness :shock: POP ain't sure :lol:
but am getting to the point and age where I get tired faster and son is having to do more then his share,and that bothers me,,after this collection is all done of his and mine,,,we'll just piddle ...no more WORK !! Me and GLENDA want son next door to us,daughter is I mile away.We are waiting on ground to dry out to get a dozier next door on this 5 acr place next door to us we bought last year,,,then work will start on his place,,,house,shop what ever it takes,,,son lives 20 odd miles away on our old home place ,POP bought when I was 19 yrso and both kids grew up at.....tiresome drive everyday and night,,cause he's here everyday and night,,,seldom ever misses....and now we all have CHASE,,,MY 4.5 yro grt grd son,and this boy is very close to his PAW PAW DWAYNE!!!! he's already a gear head,,no telling what's in store for him...and for us with him....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:32 am
Man,,, I thought I had a few projects on the go!
Pedal to the metal!!
Fred
plumb forgot my 1owner 1978 f350 dually flat bed,,,,it started smoking like a pine knott on dr"s side,,,already have a alumn 4bbl intake for it,,,paint is bad on it's top,,but it has less then a 100,00 mi on it,granny 4spd 3.73 rear gear,,pwr st and brakes and factory ac,,,,drives as good as most PU's,,very nice interior,,I had taken the head liner out to replace a outside cab light..it has a 400ci engine,I already have put 6 new tires,,replaced the pwr brk booster,and new dual exhaust with tail pipes,,had the engine rebuilt,,,but something happen all of a sudden it started smoking ,,hope it sucked an intake gasket,,,so that is on my to do list....my plate is full right now...I may have to come out of retirement just to find e"nuff time to rest :?
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

FOLKS,this cobra has an awsom little 289 2x4 alumn heads set up on it for sure,,,and that gear drive has just the right whine to catch your ear.....video of it running in shop is coming,,,,,,took break in oil out of it tonight,,,,oil pressure is great,,,,so far so good...….POP has waited a long time for it to happen.....and my son is making it do so...….thanks POP !!!!!
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

with the cobra sitting on stands,,,I have put almost 15 miles on it,,,shifting thru the gears,,,,,so far so good,,,,no leaks,,,good oil pressure...the SS puke bottle came in the other day,,,it will be mounted soon ,,,we have not really done much here lately after we fixed the heating problem,,CHASE, grt grd son,,has been here but he went back to his mother today,,,so we don't have to entertine him,,,,but we also kinda needed to step away,,,,pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have noticed the different whine between the 2 gear drives I have,,,the pete Jackson in the comet really waits on the oil to warm up then it is really heard,,,,,the edelbrock acu-drive in the cobra start whineing right off the start....
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I DROVE IT !! I DROVE IT !!!!! just before dark,,trust me it is a hand full in 2nd gear,,,like on ice !! drives great,,,dom't make no matter what gear....it will go....POP is still grinning...felt so good having the wind in my grey hair...my son DAWAYNE DONE A SUPER JOB this cobra is a SNOTT GOBBLER,,,,,, GOT TO FINE TUNE THE DIST,,,kinda lazy,,,on the first hit !! but trust OLE POP,,,this thing will go...it will lit the tires up in 1st 2nd 3rd....ran out of room for 4th and 5th... it won't take long before POP finds out how low they hang////as far as222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pops the excitement you shared in the post is so great.
I'm very happy for you to have that little Cobra cookin!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Pictures or it didn't happen :P :P Movie would even be better :!:

Seriously I can tell you are happy, I can see the smile through the computer wire.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks ,,she's cooking all right!!,,,,next month will be 22 yrs ago when I bought it,,just bought it for the heck of it,,never was really pumped up over it,,we were into so many other motor sports and hunting fishing camping and just other stuff in general and the cobra sat in the shop,,,last year in January we dug it out and started on it,,but wasn't excited over it,,then son had his heart problem and then my eye problem,,,then this year we said ,,lets knock it out ,it's time for it to be done,,,s o I"ll go kart around up and down the street then we'll put the body on and head and tail lights,,,those tires on it are 22yrs old still look brand new til yesterday ,,I got rid of those little rubber tits sticking out :) but they gotta be replaced soon,,the RR acts like it has a flat spot,,,,I don't trust them ,,I look for one to blow anytime after they get hot....but it felt good backing it off the lift and driving out of the driveway,,,,thanks again....DWAYNE will post pic's in a few days and maybe a short video ,,,,the white stuff on my head AIN"T snow,,,, :shock: pop
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Great to hear an old man having fun with his toy. With the weight ratio to HP that thing should fly.
tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

tomb22 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:58 am
Great to hear an old man having fun with his toy. With the weight ratio to HP that thing should fly.
tom
these cars are traction limited to start with....and guys are putting big big HP engines in them,,,much more then this 30 over 289 in mine...I can only wonder about a 2x4 427 in one back in the day of mr SHELBY !!!! thanks ,,,pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the sky is blue and beautiful,,has been all day,so I fired up the cobra and took it for a go-kart ride on my dead street,,,400ft from drive,,a pop up shower cloud passed over and I got my 1st soaking,,,by the time I could find a suitable drive way to turn around in and get back to shop,,,it stopped raining and sky returned as clear and blue as a robin's egg !! ARKANSAN weather is as fickle as a woman !! :shock: :? :D but that's OK ,too.,,,,,I know for sure this cobra will keep your attention driving on wet pavemrnt…..thanks pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:05 pm
400ft from drive,,a pop up shower cloud passed over and I got my 1st soaking,,,by the time I could find a suitable drive way to turn around in and get back to shop,,,it stopped raining and sky returned as clear and blue as a robin's egg !! ARKANSAN weather is as fickle as a woman !!
We had the same thing today Pops, but I wasn't driving a Cobra go-cart around :P

Last week we had a stormy rainy day and as I was getting ready to go back out to the shed my wife said to me "You aren't going out there in this storm are you?" I said "Sure I am, as long as stay far enough forward in the shed I won't get wet!" There are some things a guy just has to do. :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:05 pm
a pop up shower cloud passed over and I got my 1st soaking
That just means you've got to drive it some more to dry it out. :D :lol:

Your first-drive post reminded me of my grandson telling me what Santa had brought him. SO EXCITED!!!!! :lol:

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL,I sounded like a kid cause I was pumped up !!!! :lol: about like that first kiss from GLENDA when I was 16 yrso....and that was a thrill to die for :lol: 8) :lol: after the rain shower passed over,,,I go karted it one more time pulled in the drive way,,she was on the porch grinning from ear to ear and holding up her thumb...hollarin lookin good ..lookin good.... 8) :D :D
pop/glenda