Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by lavron »

I may have to come visit some time just to see your shop :P Maybe when the Comet is done and needs to make some shorter trips :roll:

Have Dwayne take a picture(s) of the shop sometime and post them up, you don't even have to clean it up before hand :P :lol: (not about your shop being messy but mine)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

Man your shop sounds awesome Pop!
I still sand blast outside...but I do it on breezy days for the auto-cleanup :D

Take care!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:Man your shop sounds awesome Pop!
I still sand blast outside...but I do it on breezy days for the auto-cleanup :D

Take care!

Joe
thanks to all ,,,we have worked for it...I have never mentioned I don't recall,we have a 6ft metal break and just awhile back we got a new bead roller.....we have been blessed....like I said,,we had a goal and we worked to meet that goal.....pop
pop/glenda

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

I just happened to be in Pop's neighborhood on Monday and got a personal tour of "THE SHOP"! :D He and his son Dwayne have amassed all the equipment they need to build and fabricate anything they need or want, and one of them knows how to use it all! :wink: I put on over 3200 miles the past week and his place was on my to-do list for the trip. The Cobra is looking good, but they have to keep hitting it hard to make the Gathering. Pop and Dwayne have enough projects in the fire to keep going for YEARS! I also met Johno (Poboyjo65) for a chat on the way to see Pop.
Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thank you CARY, we have always kept one project in the wind....right now we are in line to make the gathering with the cobra!!like I;ve always said,,,we never tire,,,we just kinda get burnt out on work.....we love to build a FORD,,,no brag just fact,,WE ARE GOOD AT WHAT WE DO !!!! MAINLY DWAYNE,,he knows more about an old ford then most people twice his age....that stems from the way I brought him up and that he was with me since he was born,,,,he was in diapers under a old ford with me,,,,we just love to build them,,,,,we won't spit in your left ear for anything other then a FORD,,,,GLENDA has to take her toyata camry to the dealership to have the oil changed and tire rotation done or any up keep...I won't waste my time on it !!!if it ain;t a ford...I have no use for it......now...on another note...it was a pleasure on our part and a great honor to have you and JOAN to drive out of your way to be able to come and spend time with us,,,,as soon as the cobra is done,,,,we will start on 2 of the bronco's we own and tell JOAN I will keep her in mind...for as soon as we can they will be for sale...we have 2 67 fst back mustangs we want to redo,,,,,altho we have a little up keep to do to GLENDA's 56 ford ,,,that 56 ford is the most important...it belongs to his mother,,,,it will come to the front first,,,,it was built back in the 90's..she has driven it many miles...it just needs alittle TLC.....again,,,thank you for taking the time to stop and spend a few hours with us....I truly love my little red comet and the pro street comet,,,but our heart lies in his 67 fst back I built him when he was 10 yrs old and GLENDA'S 67 fst back S code we bought her when she was 18 or 19 yrso…..thank you again,,,,,POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

just because no one has heard any updates on the cobra,doesn't mean any work has not been done,,we just don't get on here and mention it....yrs ago I had the fuel tank powder coated,,,it turned out just from sitting around for over 20 yrs ,,rust had taken over inside of it,we flushed it but it always seem not to help,so we got a brand new one and it already came coated,so that helped,,,we did not want to fight rust flakes ,,the entire fuel system is brand new....once this cobra is built,,and the bugs are worked out...we do not want to have to work on it anymore for along time,,,we need to go to something else...kinda like out of sight outa mind.....DWAYNE might post more and pics at another time....we have flat used this new bead blaster and last night ,he said he might buy a good buffer today before he comes out tonight.....thanks for reading take care and stay away from crowds and keep those hands SOAPY !!! POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

got the fan shroud built tonight,,will mount rad with shroud morrow,,this rad lies in at a 51 degree angle,so hose's has to be extended with a small length of alum pipe,,the way factory runs lower hose is not the way we want to,thier way is cheese looking to us,,,so we will make it much better !!! we ain't far from wireing the entire car,,sent the side pipes to jet hot in OKLA CITY last week ,,takes 15 working days to get them back,,this week will have the drive shaft built.....slow but steady....
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we plan on being thru with the cobra in a few more wks,,,,except for paint and carpet,,,that'll come in due time......then we need time off,,,,so tonight we deciced to go drag raceing with OL RUSTY,the big tired 64,,gonna go to 31spline rear set up and more gear,,ought to put us where we want it to be,,,do that for a few wk ends,then put some TLC,in GLENDA'S 56 ford,,,make her happy and then start on the bronco's,,,,rebuid carbs and brakes ,,they are pretty much done !!...then it'll be time for the 2 67 fstback stangs,,,,,his and mine.....and maybe get MANDY's ,,my daughter's 67 fast back stang..that I gave her when she was 14yrso,,son in law has already replace floor brds fenders qtr panels ,,and has done a great job,,he even has put R/P front end under it from ROD / CUSTOM,,,,we'll get it over here at POP's shop and work on all 3...will post pic's if we happen to think about it....we don't think about pic's often....we just like to build FORDS....and to be very honest.....these stangs are our favorite to build.....my 64 red comet just happen to come in the picture yrs ago by accident,,we built it and it was a winner,,so it stayed with me...but it can't hold a light to my 67 S code big block 4spd stang that I bought glenda to drive when she was 18 yrso…….DWAYNE keeps OL POP fired up...he won't let me idle...he keeps me pumped up !!! later.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we started on building our own drive shaft tonight...the tube itself is 4 or so inches long...we got to looking in our stash of race car parts and we had it all....may have to have it balanced....but being so short ….may not !!! we'lljust have to see!! SON has built some real trick stuff on the lathe....the fuel log for the 2x4's is real trick out of alumn...I tried out the new buffer last night and got it to a real shiney finish....the carb filter nuts he built are real trick and shiney,they are alumn also ...have several pic's to post,,just ain't got around to it...but they will come in due time...had sent the side pipes off to JET HOT A couple of weeks ago,,,but because of all the shut downs their due date of april 10..may not happen...we may just jury rig an exhaust system to fire it up in about a week maybe 2....my family reunion has already been cancelled in june and I look for PF to do the same...or at least for POP/DWAYNE....so the only other due date we were shooting for was my 72 birthday on MAY 6....HECK FIRE !! I bought it june of 98....so really we are in no hurry...but we do want to finish it to in able us to go to another project....thank you more later...….pop and always my son ,DWAYNE....
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 am
have several pic's to post,,just ain't got around to it...but they will come in due time
Would love to see the home made parts that is like good vibes to see stuff like that for some of us that like to make stuff, even if we/I don't produce top shelf stuff it is good to see the next level :P
popscomet wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 am
my family reunion has already been cancelled in june and I look for PF to do the same...or at least for POP/DWAYNE
We too are in that same place, it might not be a matter of not going but not being allowed to, in all the food places shut down and the motel closed (tourism may be locked up)

Keep up the good work you guys.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

it's slow but steady,,,,,,this is the shortest drive shaft I have ever seen...4in tube,,,almost joint to joint.....right now we have this boy with us,,we don't get very much done with him in the shop...we have to entertain him ...he'll go back to his mother Wednesday///…..but that's the way we like it....he's more important !!! he's a piss cutter !!!....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

took a break last night,,,finished up dr shaft and painted and installed it this afternoon,,DWAYNE made and installed the fuel line from the regulator to the fuel log (which is son built)….getting closer to wireing...sure hope to get side pipes back soon,,but this silly cobra ain't as important as what is going on,,,it's just a release thing while trying to maintain some normalization,,trying to cope...all take care and keep your mouth covered and hands soapy a much as you can...pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

pictures are coming,,,trust me !!!!! there has been a lot done to this little cobra,,,somethings that will never be seen,like trick home built brkts and braces,,,,we are almost 100% done with all under hood...drilled holes and installed speed-o tach and gauges in the dash panel...POP don't like the way the seat sits,,,morrow night will start making it better.....believe it or not ,,we are on the down hill slid....JET HOT notified DWAYNE today,,the side pipes will be here Monday,,we are not really ready for them ,but it will good to have them already here when we are ready,,,still waiting on the ign switch,,one came with the kit,,but I have one on a tractor that looks like it...and that is not acceptable to our standards,,so we ordered one that has a key like my 64 comet....old school...that's what I want !!….so we are still chipping along,,,pictures are coming ...they are not as important to us as they are to some on here...…..when it's all done we'll post pictures,,,thank you ..pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

The side pipes came back from JET HOT yesterday afternoon,they are pretty,look like chrome,also had the extensions from header to side pipe coated also,,already have new SS bolts,,,so won't be long til they will go on. Serviced the transmission last night....slowly but steady this little cobra is coming along...DWAYNE took a few pictures last night...he'll post all at one time.…...thanks
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the rest of the plated and SSbolts came by mail today ...this cobra will be super well put together ,,,like I posted ,the side pipes came in Monday,and the ign switch with an old style ford key also...it won't be as long as it was before I'll get to test drive this rascal ,we look to do it in a couple of weeks,,hopefuly by MAY 6,,,,that's my BD and that's the day we have been shooting for......although my 4 yr grt grd son will be here in a few hrs and he slows down production when he's here...he'll be here for a week...he comes 1st....thanks...…..POP
pop/glenda