Mercury Truck

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Mercury Truck

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:43 pm
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:26 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:18 pm

Found a good '64 project locally but I'm too worn out to tackle it. Besides, I'm not too hip on straight axle suspension. Much rather twin I-beam.

Joe
Just slap a crown vic front suspension in it.
Hmmm.........have to surf YouTube on that one. I'm not resto-mod guy but I own one. Go figure. :wink:
Update: No thanks, would rather pick up another Ranchero than slam a truck.

Joe
It only slams it if you want it slammed. 2 wheel drive trucks are not very high anyway. Whole suspension just bolts in and drives great, as long as you get it all lined up right. You set the ride height. then maintenance is easy using stock crown vic parts.

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A friend did that on a 57 Ford pickup.
The front track is too wide causing very poor wheel choice.
I followed another build where the builder narrowed the the xmember and used a Mustang rack which is almost 3" narrower
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:08 pm
A friend did that on a 57 Ford pickup.
The front track is too wide causing very poor wheel choice.
I followed another build where the builder narrowed the the xmember and used a Mustang rack which is almost 3" narrower
Poor wheel choice comes down to taste I guess. 94 up mustang wheels work good with this setup due to their offset. For front wheels most don't want a deep dished wheel anyway.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 pm
Here is a link to the swap.

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-a ... sion-swap/
Thanks for the link, Boss. There's a guy @ the local meet did a '67. I believe he used a donor car because it has a 4.6L under the hood.
Next time I run into him, I'll ask about this.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Spent several hours Saturday at a car show with this truck and the owner. Our parking next to each other was a happy coincidence. :D Great guy who has had a bit of an adventure getting this truck and processing it through our California DMV system. It's a 1966 through and through ( I was wrong on tag stating 1968). A rare find...see below for details.

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Merlin Motors, was downtown in those days,, corner of 2ave + 24th St. Family owned and still in business today but moved to the north end industrial area along the highway. Strong supporter of the local Mustang club.
Saskatoon SK. My hm town, lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about