289 and edlebrock linkage help

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
64Hula

289 and edlebrock linkage help

Post by 64Hula »

Hello, SO here I am with another question, PO said the linkage was to short and the throttle linkage needed to be longer, it cruises fine but has no secondary. What linkage to I need to get my power back? I am stupid with this stuff so links or pictures would help soooo much.
6464.jpg
6464.jpg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 3384 times

poboyjo65

Re: 289 and edlebrock linkage help

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks like you still have factory linkage on a aftermarket carb. Lots of guys go with a completely different set up,,, some use a aftermarket pedal & cable. some use junkyard parts from other fords. I used a 70's ford truck v8 straight linkage but I had to alter the pedal,cut & reweld the rod,bending & tweaking. if you decide to get away from the stock apparatus , ask what others are using. but other wise it would need to be someone with the same carb as you with stock set up. maybe if you made the linkage to the carb adjustable so you could make it as short or long as you need.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that linkage looks home made to me...looks as if it has been brazed together with a torch and brass rod....jmo
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:that linkage looks home made to me...looks as if it has been brazed together with a torch and brass rod....jmo
come back to look again....it has been made longer ,,cut in half spliced back with a threaded qtr in bolt in the middle,which don't hurt anything if it works,,,pop could be wrong,,,but it sure appears that way to me.....jmo
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I agree with Pop. I think you've got two ends of an original linkage with a piece of all-thread rod welded or brazed in between. Maybe the linkage wasn't made long enough or has the wrong bends and you're not opening the throttle all the way. Disconnect the carb end of the linkage and rotate the throttle by hand and note a clock reference to determine how far it is rotated at full throttle. Reconnect your linkage and press the pedal to the floor and note where that same reference point clocks to. If it doesn't rotate to full throttle position, that's your problem.

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I think you need to make the rod shorter. Or find a shorter rod. If the rod was shorter your gas pedal would be higher and in turn give you more travel which may open the secondaries.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lou's Comet wrote:I think you need to make the rod shorter. Or find a shorter rod. If the rod was shorter your gas pedal would be higher and in turn give you more travel which may open the secondaries.
that is true for sure,,,,,,,,but I have seen the carpet was at fault !!! had a rubber floor mat one time ball up...
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:P

this is mine, simple .
& adjustable. I can make it shorter or longer.
quick disconnect,either end.pops off with a screwdriver. the carb end has a push lock clamp that snaps on a ball . I like all that :D
If you just had the carb end of one of these linkages with same thread as your linkage .

Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

This is Pops 289 with 2 4bbl edelbrocks . I'm sure he can tell more about these pics but looks like he still has the factory apparatus on back of intake that yanks the linkage to carb.

looks like adjustment can be made at the back of the linkage in these pics.

& his bottom linkage pulls the back carb . all of his linkages look to have adjustment on the ends that connect to the carb ,with locknuts, like mine. I'm sure Pop will correct me if I guessed anything wrong or explain his set up better,,,but seeing these pics of different setups might help you, sure wont hurt. I think in someones effort to make yours longer they took the adjustment out & guessed wrong on the length. or possibly the bent part straightened out some,making it longer, too long to get full travel.I think it needs to be a straight rod> [IMO].
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the straight rods are tenshion rods from the windshield wipers from a railroad locomotive,,I cut them and rethreaded ,the ball and socket end came on them and they are adjustable...I had this linkage set up when the comet had an AT in it,,when I went 4spd,,I just removed all the kick down for the C4 and stayed with the factory brkt ...it has been working for 20 plus yrs,,,,and does not have a stiff gas pedal,,,,,has WOT anytime you want to,,,,best I recall I had to take a small drill bit and barely enlarge the hole in the carb lever to bolt the ball and socket on...hope this helps someone come up with a workable plan of their own
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:he straight rods are tenshion rods from the windshield wipers from a railroad locomotive...hope this helps someone come up with a workable plan of their own
Have to start searching for some locomotive windshield wipers now :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I firgued someone might wonder where they come from,any straight small rod will work,I just happen to have access to those,,me and son have used them several times on race trucks,,,on our dirt cars we would not use a solid rod,we used a cable,because we saw to many motor mounts give away and side ways engine torque would cause the acc not to come back to idle,,,so we went to a cable....saw way to many hung WOT's,,hit the wall run into another car run off the track,,,just always had dependable return springs as in 2,,,,
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop I've had single cable throttle cable hang on a motorcycle. the cable frayed up inside the housing,so having a cable isn't a guarantee. later most of them went to what they called a push/pull double cable. but actually both pulled,,,, one on the twist grip to pull open the throttle & one to pull it closed. but I've also had one of these hard linkages on a car hang. that's why I pinned my motor mounts. still any throttle can hang no matter what you do.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:Have to start searching for some locomotive windshield wipers now :roll: :P
Check that scrap pile you keep going to behind your shed. You may have some. You've pulled all kinds of stuff out of pile to make something else you needed. :lol: :lol:

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Pop I've had single cable throttle cable hang on a motorcycle. the cable frayed up inside the housing,so having a cable isn't a guarantee. later most of them went to what they called a push/pull double cable. but actually both pulled,,,, one on the twist grip to pull open the throttle & one to pull it closed. but I've also had one of these hard linkages on a car hang. that's why I pinned my motor mounts. still any throttle can hang no matter what you do.
thanks for the info,,,,have you ever dumped the clutch at such a high rpm and had so much traction that you broke a motor mount ??….on a everyday driven street car?
pop/glenda