4100 choke stove

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Don65

4100 choke stove

Post by Don65 »

Hey all, got a choke question.
I'm trying to rekindle interest in my 65 Comet that has been sitting for years. The biggest problem is the pos Edelbrock carb on it. Solved that with a rebuilt 4100 that showed up today. SS Lines had the fuel pump to carb, and vacuum advance lines. That leaves the choke stove. My 289 has shorty headers with no provision for a choke tube. Options include this kit,
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-55111-HEL ... WS4T6G7E6E, or maybe the electric coil off the Edelbrock will fit the 4100, but that is a long shot. Looking for other ideas. How would you go about fitting the choke stove tube?
Attachments
Picf0002.jpg
Picf0002.jpg (72.35 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

poboyjo65

Re: 4100 choke stove

Post by poboyjo65 »

Save your 10 bucks. I tried one of those & it was useless. Ceramic coated headers may have had something to do with that but I dont think it would have ever worked worth a crap. I ended up using an electric choke kit from holley on my 4100. it works pretty good almost too good. it almost opens it up too fast, but after experimenting with the stove kit that didnt open fast enough I decided to keep using the electric . I fiddled adjusting with the fast idle step down lever so that it was using both stepdowns & idle & so it all work like it should with less time with the choke running rich, after learning how long to let it idle on each setting for long enough each morning,without kicking it down too soon,in which case it would die.
manual choke is another option ,,,they make a retro fit kitwhich by the way will bolt on where the choke therm is & look similar ,, if you wanted to go that route.

edelbrock choke went backwards or something ,I cant remember for sure what but it wont work on a 4100.

here is one like I used;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Choke ... .l4275.c10
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Like Johnnie said you can get a manual choke kit for the 4100. It’s a repop of the Hipo manual choke.
It bolts on no problem but you have to put a hole in the firewall for the cable and you have to plug the small vacuum port that’s located at the choke housing for drawing in warm air.
I have the manual choke kit and it works pretty good. I used epoxy to plug the vacuum port.
Speaking of...John did you have to plug that vacuum port for the electric choke conversion?

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:Like Johnnie said you can get a manual choke kit for the 4100. It’s a repop of the Hipo manual choke.
It bolts on no problem but you have to put a hole in the firewall for the cable and you have to plug the small vacuum port that’s located at the choke housing for drawing in warm air.
I have the manual choke kit and it works pretty good. I used epoxy to plug the vacuum port.
Speaking of...John did you have to plug that vacuum port for the electric choke conversion?

Joe
I cant remember how I finally left it ,I'd have to look Joe. I remember experimenting with it.tried lots of variables. those bigger 4100's are tuned for bigger motors,I think mine was for a 352. but mine is a 347 so that s closer to a 352 than a 289. I do remember the float level affected the way it ran a lot so experimented with jets,powervalves,floats levels & the base spacers. I want to think I left that open but sucking thru the air filter,otherwise it ran rich but that may not have been how I left it,but I tried it. it's a great street setup, but it seems to starve at the top,,,I'd like to get a 750 holley dp sometime just to try @ WOT :twisted: :lol:
Johno

Don65

Post by Don65 »

Appreciate the quick reply's. I see it's thumbs down on the stove kit. The manual conversion is my last choice. Had a couple of those on Holley 600's bitd, and didn't care for them. At this point I'm thinking I might as well stay elec. like the Edelbrock has. Found this kit. https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Electr ... _3878.html Anyone use this and have a review? It will be at least 3 months before the salt is off the road and I get to this project so I have plenty of time to sort this issue. Low speed fueling is my top priority. I'm running a hi-po toploader with the low first gear, with a 2.80 rear end. It's like riding my old 2-stroke motorcycles around town. Needs a few more rpm and clutch. Even with the jet/metering rod kit I just never found the happy place with the Edelbrock. Besides, the 4100's just look better lol! Thanks again for the help.

Regards, Don

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea Don I think that is the actual kit that I got from Mikes. It's like the one I posted above,, & after looking at it I see it comes with rubber caps to close off the vacuum ports that Joe mentioned,I just didnt remember that part. But I think you'll be pleased with that kit. I tapped mine in to the wiper delay governor's hot wire,because it was on the firewall ,,same side as the choke & is power on with the ignition. so if you have the delayed wipers it's a good source for power
Johno

Don65

Post by Don65 »

Got the elec. choke coil on the way. Got another question. The stock set-ups use a 1" spacer plate under the carb that the egr plugs into. I'm running a Weiand Stealth manifold and didn't put that spacer under the Edelbrock. It has a port in back I put a brass tee in for the egr and vacuum brake booster lines. Does that 1" plate make a big difference on a street car?

Regards, Don

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Don65 wrote:Got the elec. choke coil on the way. Got another question. The stock set-ups use a 1" spacer plate under the carb that the egr plugs into. I'm running a Weiand Stealth manifold and didn't put that spacer under the Edelbrock. It has a port in back I put a brass tee in for the egr and vacuum brake booster lines. Does that 1" plate make a big difference on a street car?

Regards, Don
I had problems sealing the 4100 to my edelbrock intake. I had to buy a plate. although you can order one ,I got it from oreilys . it was this one;
https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2732/10002/-1

The way the 4100 is made, it never seemed to work right without the factory spacer for me ,(when I tried the adapter plate alone.) I assumed it was because of the slots cut into the bottoms of the 4 holes of the carb & all the other slots on the bottom of the carb . then the factory spacer had slots & recesses on its bottom, I had to use the thin edelbrock adapter plate under it to make it seal up right to the intake.

you can barely see the adapter plate under the black factory spacer . after I got all that right it needed a re-set/tune.
Johno

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I have used that choke stove kit with ceramic coated headers W/O issues , I not tack weld a "U" shape tube to header much cleaner looking install, on spacer issue on weiand intake with 4100 you will be fine as it has wide mounting pad for carb unlike Edelbrock intake, as far as 4100 goes when I ran mine on 400hp 289 wih Toploader 4Spd and 3.40 gear I could pull 24.5 mpg on highway @ 65 mph and it had great drive ability now with dual Holley 4V's not near as good MPG LOL

Don65

Post by Don65 »

I decided to go with the elec. choke coil. It and the vac/fuel pump lines are here so should have everything I need to start with. Going to try it without the spacer plate first. Be awhile before it warms up enough to get in the garage and put it together. I'll be back when I get it on and let you know how it works. Thanks for the help!

Regards, Don

Don65

Post by Don65 »

The groundhog was right this year. Early spring with a nice day here so I got the carb on, and here's how it went. First thing was it felt weird grabbing inch tools lol! This, my old Schwinn's, and old Lawnboy are all I have left that need them. Next, there was no way to snake that new fuel line behind the p/s pump so had to pull that bracket. Got it all together, dribbled a little gas in, and it fired right up on fast idle.
Then I see I didn't get either end of the fuel line tight enough, and shifting the p/s pump caused a drip at the pressure fitting. Tightened those 3 again and all good. That electric choke coil works good and opened in a couple minutes. I don't have a vacuum port for a gauge so set the idle needles by ear. Idle was a little lumpy, but I have a slightly bigger than stock cam in it. As soon as it cools off I'm going to re-torque the intake manifold and check the timing. The carb is re-built by AutoLine out of Canada I got from Rock Auto. It has a tight primary throttle shaft. I can already tell this is going to work better than that POS Edelbrock. When it was idling I went to the back and my eyes didn't water from un-burned fuel. The one thing it didn't come with was the air cleaner stud, and the thread is different from the Edelbrock. I think a guy at work can fix my up with one, then I can get it out for a test. The stock throttle linkage is long gone, and I'll have to shorten the custom coat hanger unit as it was opening up about 2/3's lol! Grab your eye bleach, it's pretty ugly under the hood!
Attachments
IMG_1231.JPG
IMG_1231.JPG (145.1 KiB) Viewed 3250 times

comethead

Post by comethead »

Lookin good!! :D
The repop stock 65 Mustang accelerator rod will work if you get tired of the custom coat hanger.
You have to cut it to make it fit.
Glad it all worked out.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Don65

Post by Don65 »

Hey Joe. Thanks for the heads-up on the Mustang linkage. Didn't know that was available. I'll keep that in mind for plan B. Plan A is to get rid of that stock bell crank abortion all together. It needs 2 bolts to hold it securely, but the Weiand manifold only has one bolt boss and eventually it's going to loosen and shift. I think a cable unit like like out of a Fairmont might be the way to go. Early days yet on this project, but it's looking up. All the intake bolts were loose and needed at least 3/4 turn to click the wrench. Still need to find that air cleaner stud. and check the timing.