Dual fours on my Cyclone

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
DesertRat

Dual fours on my Cyclone

Post by DesertRat »

My newly purchased 1965 Cyclone A code has an aluminum intake with Cobra cast into the front of it and two Edelbrock four barrel carbs. No vacuum secondaries and no choke assemblies. I haven't driven it much but it seems to start, run and drive fine so far. Does anyone know what this is?
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Dual fours on my Cyclone

Post by A/FX »

DesertRat wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:29 pm
My newly purchased 1965 Cyclone A code has an aluminum intake with Cobra cast into the front of it and two Edelbrock four barrel carbs. No vacuum secondaries and no choke assemblies. I haven't driven it much but it seems to start, run and drive fine so far. Does anyone know what this is?
The intake could be an original Cobra manifold from the ‘60’s or it could be a newer reproduction, if you remove it and it has “Buddy Bar” cast into the bottom it is a ‘60’s original, Buddy Bar foundry did all the casting for FoMoCo and Shelby back then. Either way it is an over the counter manifold, Ford did not offer an AFB (Edelbrock) style carb, they used Holley’s, the flange bolt pattern is different between the two. The AFB style carb is a reliable carb, most guys who cannot dial in a Holley resort to using them.
I have never owned an Edelbrock carb so I cannot tell you much about them, I have used Holley carbs for decades.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

A/FX wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:41 pm
DesertRat wrote:
The intake could be an original Cobra manifold from the ‘60’s or it could be a newer reproduction, if you remove it and it has “Buddy Bar” cast into the bottom it is a ‘60’s original, Buddy Bar foundry did all the casting for FoMoCo and Shelby back then. Either way it is an over the counter manifold, Ford did not offer an AFB (Edelbrock) style carb, they used Holley’s, the flange bolt pattern is different between the two. The AFB style carb is a reliable carb, most guys who cannot dial in a Holley resort to using them.
I have never owned an Edelbrock carb so I cannot tell you much about them, I have used Holley carbs for decades.
Jim
Thanks! I thought could be the case. I am guessing it is a newer reproduction. I can tune Edelbrock carburetors but I have never owned a dual setup. I am sure that I wont leave it that way. I'll go back to a single 4V.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

DesertRat wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:13 pm
A/FX wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:41 pm
DesertRat wrote:

Jim
Thanks! I thought could be the case. I am guessing it is a newer reproduction. I can tune Edelbrock carburetors but I have never owned a dual setup. I am sure that I wont leave it that way. I'll go back to a single 4V.
I would try to keep the duals, the wow factor is so much better than a single carb. I have run tri power, singles, and now dual Holley’s, it takes some fiddling but the results are worth it.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

My first 65 Cyclone had a 289 with a moderate cam. Don't remember the specs on it now, but it had a bit of a lope at idle. It also had dual 4V Holleys. I had the linkage set up to run on the front two barrels of front carb to half-throttle, then the other six barrels rolled in together. It was fun to drive. :twisted: Like Jim said, the dual carbs definitely presented a wow factor when the hood went up in a crowd. My current 65 with a 302 has a single 500 cfm Edelbrock, which serves me just fine, but if I had a dual 4V, I'd have to keep it. 8)

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Back in 95 or 96,I installed dual 500 edelbrocks..edel,performer rpm cam ,the carbs have a manual cchoke,which I wired open right out of the box,,,I ganged them together,,it starts idels off both ,,works great...also put in a pete Jackson gear drive,,,I never have to touch it,,have put many miles on this 289,,still drive it today,,put about 50 miles on it today !! I am so impressed with it that the cobra replica me and son are now buiding,has a 65 289,with edelbrock alumn heads,2 500 carbs and a edelbrock ACU-DRIVE gear drive ,performer rpm cam.....the only draw back to the edelbrock carbs if it sits for a few days ,,motor will have to crank over a few times to pick it's prime back up..other then that their OK...start it everyday or 3 and they seem fine.....2 4's are way better to look at then just a single carb set up.....do what you want to ,it's yours,,,but I'd leave it as is,,,good luck....pop.....that wow factor is hard to beat on an old car...……..
pop/glenda

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

dual fours ARE impressive,Eds not quite as much as Holleys.The Eds are probably drilled for square bore and Holleys will probably fit if you're so inclined.

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

vicegrip wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:24 am
dual fours ARE impressive,Eds not quite as much as Holleys.The Eds are probably drilled for square bore and Holleys will probably fit if you're so inclined.
Yes I have had both and tuned both. I use a wideband on my engines now to help tune and it makes it easy. My current daily driver is a 1967 Barracuda coupe with a commando 273 and 500 CFM AVS2 tuned with my wideband.
Looking at the Cyclone, it looks like the Edelbrocks take up less room than holleys would but its early in the process. I need to read all the information on the relevant threads and gain perspective about which way to go. Right now I will just change the oil and coolant and verify the thing is viable.