Best set up cooling wise for LA Traffic. Fan or no fan?

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
65CometWagon

Best set up cooling wise for LA Traffic. Fan or no fan?

Post by 65CometWagon »

It's time to replace my radiator.
My current set-up is a six blade fan, shroud, and a four row radiator.
I was never happy with the temp while sitting in traffic--hot day or not--or even going through a drive through.
My assumption is a four row is better for long distance driving through the desert, that extra row sitting in traffic is an extra row to cool.
I have enough suction. A dollar bill gets sucked into radiator.
thoughts?

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Best set up cooling wise for LA Traffic. Fan or no fan?

Post by A/FX »

Your current setup should work fine. Are you using the correct thermostat? Is it a high flow unit? A four core radiator will cool no matter what condition your are driving in if everything else is correct. Is your six blade fan a flex unit or does it have stationary blades? Are your heater ports on the water pump and intake manifold connected to the heater? Or are they at looped together, or plugged?
I am using a radiator from U.S Radiator, http://www.usradiator.com/radiators?cat ... HFLk4CB8Pr

https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/pr ... thermostat

The listing is for a stock style radiator, I am using a four core, high performance fin design made for a big block Cougar, a stock Boss 302 fan, a shroud, and a Robert Shaw high flo 170 degree thermostat. I also have and recommend an over flow tank.
My personal opinion is that I will do anything to not use an electric fan or an aluminum radiator, the factory did not use them on any of the big engined cars in the 60’s or even the 70’s so it is not that the traditional parts don’t work.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

One of the first things I'd check is the thermostat. It may not be opening fully. I've had two cars in the past that had problems with overheating, so I pulled the thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water on the stove. One opened about a quarter of the way, and the other didn't open at all. I replaced the stats in both cases and solved the problem. I don't see how the fourth row in the rad could impede cooling. As long as the rad is clean on the inside and the fins are not damaged and full of bugs on the outside, and it has good air flow through it (your dollar bill test), it should out-perform a rad with fewer rows. The efficiency of a rad is a function of surface area and air flow. I think if you change your current rad for one with fewer rows, and do nothing else, your problem will only get worse.

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think we had a discussion on this at one time, you might try and search for it, as far as cooling goes thinner is better for a radiator however the thinner the rad gets the more surface area is required so you would need a bigger radiator which would mean a modification to the core support, probably not a good idea.

I did go with a 2 row aluminum radiator on my build, eventhcugh it is just a six, I used the big block Ford '68+ radiator and I modified my core support, I can't say how it cools because I haven't got to the point of starting the car but I think in my situation it will be more than enough, again it is all about surface area, thinner flows better but needs to be larger thicker has an equal amount of surface area with more rows in a more compact size but is a bit harder to pull through, in both cases it should be negligible (I had to go with a thinner radiator because I don't have the depth)

Anyhow I think the advice given so far is good.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

65CometWagon

Post by 65CometWagon »

thanks guys.
First thing I am going to do is order a new thermostat.
I can literally put my fingers through my radiator so I think a new one is in order.
I've always ran a gano filter--so I am not all clogged up.
thanks again,
E

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I used an OEM type radiator for a 70 429 CJ Torino and did enlarge the core support,used the Torino mounting brackets .The Torino shroud fit perfectly...upside down.Got a 6 blade fan from Summit. This ended the cooling problems I had with this car for years.Never went over 190,no matter the traffic or air temp.This was a 600 hp big block. 65 Caliente

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

I too had issues with running hot in traffic / drive thru. Quality aluminum Radiator, 6 blade fan and shroud helped but still ran a bit hot. Found the biggest issue as the vacuum advance was improperly set at idle. By making sure the vacuum advance at idle to 10-12 degrees above base timing, the temperature is at or below normal operating temperature.

So if you have an adjustable vacuum advance set it up as mentioned and you'll be good to go.

I can't get it to overheat for nothing now.

Comet Bruce
Last edited by bmmaurer on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I agree with the above POST a 110%, always have,,,,most everyone wants to throw a bigger rad fan and shroud at the problem,,,another thing that never gets mentioned is what condition is the block in ??,,,I have torn down old blocks that the cooling system was so stopped up and clogged that makes it plain to see that this block was hard to keep cool...POP's old 64 is bored 60 over ,,has stock size rad and 5bladed fan and no shroud,,I have the original shroud,,,but by the time I got it,,it was already built and ran so cool I have never took the time to put it on,,,my old comet has been driven many miles in hot weather and has been on 2 power tours,,the same stock water pump has been on it way over 20 yrs,,,,,POP has wanted to mention this before,,everyone always throws a bunch of timeing at a motor,,,,why?...it's a street motor !!! but,I just keep it to myself and let the ones that are smarter then POP and read all these forums answer ….I stay out of it.....a 5 gal bucket will hold 5 gals,,,so remember what your motor is and it's intended purpose is and tune it for that very purpose and leave it alone !!,,POP tries to stay out of most things ,,,some may agree with and some may disagree,,,keep it to yourself when it comes me....thank you and hope all has a cool day !!! pop
pop/glenda