Stroker choices?

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Lou's Comet

Stroker choices?

Post by Lou's Comet »

Ok getting ready to get back on the Comet and finish it. One of the main items I need is a engine. Going with a 302 based stroker. Was looking at Ford strokers, Coast high performance, and Ford racing. Leaning toward a aftermarket block, like Dart or Ford Boss. Any input or experience on the dart vs boss block would be appreciated.
Still haven't decided on size 331, 347, or 363.

Originally I wanted to build a higher rpm 331, solid lifter flat tappet cam. AFR heads, duel 4's. Now I have been rethinking it. Maybe just go with a roller engine and keep it under 6200. Though having a small block that could spin 7 k would put a smile on my face

Still just getting ideas so any input is welcome.

Car is a top loader with 4:11 rear and 29" dia tires. No power brakes or steering.

Thanks Lou

poboyjo65

Re: Stroker choices?

Post by poboyjo65 »

Great to hear you're gonna get back on it! Love my 347! lots of go! my cam is all in @ 5600. but it is a low & mid range torque monster & feels like it is winding up higher than it is. the way it pulls down low I can shift anywhere near 5g & it just climbs back up quick. perfect for a street car. I think if I was going to take it to the track I'd want a cam made to wind a little higher but I'm getting too old for all that. :roll: :roll:

btw, I love my power steering & lower ratio! before,with the stock big wheel & 20:1 ratio it was like driving a bus ,all that turning & arms moving,big hands hitting the windows while turning. :roll: It is the most favorite thing I did to the car! even more than big tires! :)
Johno

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

if you go aftermarket block go with Dart, you cannot go wrong with Woody at Ford Strokers my 304 CI I spin HYD Roller to 7200 -7500 on the street with TopLoader 4sd and is street driven, 2x4, AFR 185 RENEGADE head ED Curtis .600in Lift cam everybody loves it when I roll into Car show with it.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Barry, I so wish you would share a few pics and build of your car,, sounds awesome!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou! Happy to read your in the FINISH IT! mode!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

barrys65cyclone

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:41 pm
Barry, I so wish you would share a few pics and build of your car,, sounds awesome!!
Fred
I am to stupid to post picture I am to old school

Barry

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

It's awesome to hear your wanting to finish your car Lou. What ever you choose to do I'm sure it will be great choice and a great build.
Tom
tomb's 65

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:18 pm
Great to hear you're gonna get back on it! Love my 347! lots of go! my cam is all in @ 5600. but it is a low & mid range torque monster & feels like it is winding up higher than it is. the way it pulls down low I can shift anywhere near 5g & it just climbs back up quick. perfect for a street car. I think if I was going to take it to the track I'd want a cam made to wind a little higher but I'm getting too old for all that. :roll: :roll:

btw, I love my power steering & lower ratio! before,with the stock big wheel & 20:1 ratio it was like driving a bus ,all that turning & arms moving,big hands hitting the windows while turning. :roll: It is the most favorite thing I did to the car! even more than big tires! :)
Borgeson? I was thinking my box was 16:1 ratio. We did the Borgeson box in the 57 fairlane did a few years ago. Works nice. Something to think about. Thanks John.

As far as the stroker cam... my problem is I am not sure I am too old for that! LOL

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

barrys65cyclone wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:05 pm
if you go aftermarket block go with Dart, you cannot go wrong with Woody at Ford Strokers my 304 CI I spin HYD Roller to 7200 -7500 on the street with TopLoader 4sd and is street driven, 2x4, AFR 185 RENEGADE head ED Curtis .600in Lift cam everybody loves it when I roll into Car show with it.
Thanks Barry. Did you have your 304 done at Ford strokers? Sounds like your engine is very similar to what I am looking for. The Ford boss 363 has a cam with 600 lift. Not sure I want the boss block, from what I read it needs specific heads to work with the design of the block. Not sure I would like that. I am leaning toward the Dart block, and will prob need to give Ford strokers a call. Also looking at AFR for heads.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 pm
Lou! Happy to read your in the FINISH IT! mode!
Fred
Thanks Fred. I just need to get back into the mindset? Been awhile since I even thought about the comet. But I have cleaned all the junk off of it and got it moved out to the work area in garage which is a start. And making new list(s) of needs and wants.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:06 pm
It's awesome to hear your wanting to finish your car Lou. What ever you choose to do I'm sure it will be great choice and a great build.
Tom
Thanks Tom.
Bought the paint for it. Right now body just needs blocked with 600 and it is ready to paint. Looking at engines because of the waiting list and timeframes of getting a engine done.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:55 am
poboyjo65 wrote:

Borgeson? I was thinking my box was 16:1 ratio. We did the Borgeson box in the 57 fairlane did a few years ago. Works nice. Something to think about. Thanks John.

As far as the stroker cam... my problem is I am not sure I am too old for that! LOL

Lou
not too old to wind them up ,never gets old,just too old for all the work involved in racing. :lol:
Yes borgesen.they make a 14:1 box now ( :roll: ),which is about what my 16:1 borg box is with the shelby quick steer kit added. right at 3 turns lock to lock. if your car was a PS car it probably is 16:1 ,& wont be fun to maneuver at slow speeds. I can maneuver around with one open palm leaving my right hand ready to shift.it's a pleasure to drive!
Lip ripper put a borg in his early falcon ,I think his is a 14:1 box & he said he really likes it .
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

You should check out the September Hot Rod magazine. There's an article about building a carburated 331 stroker achieving 456HP at 6400rpm.
Tom
tomb's 65

barrys65cyclone

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:01 am
barrys65cyclone wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:05 pm
Thanks Barry. Did you have your 304 done at Ford strokers? Sounds like your engine is very similar to what I am looking for. The Ford boss 363 has a cam with 600 lift. Not sure I want the boss block, from what I read it needs specific heads to work with the design of the block. Not sure I would like that. I am leaning toward the Dart block, and will prob need to give Ford strokers a call. Also looking at AFR for heads.

Lou
No I did my own but I would not hesitate to use Woody at Ford Strokers !

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:40 pm
Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:55 am
poboyjo65 wrote:

Lou
not too old to wind them up ,never gets old,just too old for all the work involved in racing. :lol:
Yes borgesen.they make a 14:1 box now ( :roll: ),which is about what my 16:1 borg box is with the shelby quick steer kit added. right at 3 turns lock to lock. if your car was a PS car it probably is 16:1 ,& wont be fun to maneuver at slow speeds. I can maneuver around with one open palm leaving my right hand ready to shift.it's a pleasure to drive!
Lip ripper put a borg in his early falcon ,I think his is a 14:1 box & he said he really likes it .
Can you use the factory Z bar with the borg box? Thinking there was a reason I nixed the idea before.

Lou