Intake Gaskets

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Lou's Comet

Intake Gaskets

Post by Lou's Comet »

Ok been getting ready to assemble my engine. Bought Fel pro 1262 intake gaskets. What was recommended on AFR site for my heads. I have AFR 185 Renegade heads and using a edelbrock Performer Rpm intake. This is what the 1262 intake gaskets look like when positioned on my heads

Opinions?

I think they will work, plus there is no water crossover on the rear of my intake so only dealing with the front, but, really what's up with the gasket and water passage? Do I trim the piece that is protruding into the port? Get a different gasket? 1262R3 looks like it will fit better.

Thanks for any and all advice
Lou

Joe Travers

Re: Intake Gaskets

Post by Joe Travers »

That gasket is for the early 351W w/ larger intake ports.
I've used them when swapping early 351W heads onto 289s years ago before aftermarket kicked off. They are safe to use.
I'm running same heads & intake on my engine.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I don't know,Lou...those gaskets do fit the ports perfect but even if you trim the coolant passage,the exposed aluminum on the head is going to corrode. If it were me,I would try to find something that fit a little better. Also,some people have had issues with the print-o-seal design of that gasket.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I’m sure they’ll work, but personally I wouldn’t use them. I replaced my rocker studs and when I put the heads back on I used fel-pro, these are what I bought, but I don’t have hi-po heads….

https://www.cjponyparts.com/fel-pro-int ... 20Products

I see some folks on another Ford site with very similar setups are using 1262S3s, the R3s like you mentioned might be a better all around fit.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks everyone. Today I called Fel-Pro and AFR. They both said to trim the part protruding into the water port flush, and that the gaskets will work fine. And that is the correct gasket for my application.

The guy at AFR new right of way what I was talking about. Told me they have used them for years with no problems. So I am going to use them.

Thanks for the response's

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I need to pull my intake soon to check things out, get rid of those cork end gaskets.

I've always hated those things. Ones on the engine now squirted out a little and I have a seep on the rear. :?

Puddle up the Permatex.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:40 pm
I need to pull my intake soon to check things out, get rid of those cork end gaskets.

I've always hated those things. Ones on the engine now squirted out a little and I have a seep on the rear. :?

Puddle up the Permatex.

Joe
Yea I don't plan on using the cork end gaskets. Never did like them.