Z-Bar / Equalizer Bar "Q"

390 & up cid Monster Motors
1967Comet

Z-Bar / Equalizer Bar "Q"

Post by 1967Comet »

I'm in the midst of putting together a Mercury 410 (1966 out of a Park Lane originally: now 30 over, with Aluminum heads, Tri-Power and Sig Erson cam) for my '67 Comet 202. It currently has a little 302 with a top loader. I have the bell housing, transmission (top loader), motor mounts, radiator and a bunch of extra goodies, but no Z-Bar for a big block. Still not going to put power steering on it so when I find headers (so dang expensive) no worries about the power steering brackets.

I've found them in price from $300+ to $58'ish .. my question is: Do the '66 and '67 work interchangeably? I've found both and although they look similar I can't tell from a picture if they are the same part. I've also found them for Mustang (both 66 and 67). Are they the same? DOZZ-7528-C is a common part number I'm finding (listed for both the Cougar and the Mustang). I know most of my chassis is basically the same as a mustang but I don't want to order the wrong part.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you all much.
Look slow, Go Fast and Act Surprised
1967 Mercury Comet 202 (Wimbledon White)

fairlaniac

Re: Z-Bar / Equalizer Bar "Q"

Post by fairlaniac »

The '66 & '67 Z-bars are almost identical and either can be used. The difference is the pin end in the engine compartment from the pedal. The pin is on the opposite side where the equalizer bar hooks up. I think the geometry was better with the '67 design. A lesser expense is to purchase a one piece z-bar from Crites Restorations. It is much stronger and less parts but you need to undo the motor mounts and tilt the engine to install or what I did if you have a rag joint steering. Disconnect the column, pull it back into the interior and you can work it with the frame side mount.

A FE engine side z-bar pivot will be different than a small block pivot.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

fairlaniac

Re: Z-Bar / Equalizer Bar "Q"

Post by fairlaniac »

A picture to help with my explaination.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd