Ford 429/460 BB

390 & up cid Monster Motors
Lou's Comet

Ford 429/460 BB

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looking for a 429 or 460 crate engine and found this one at Summit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe- ... /make/ford

Was wondering if anyone had any dealings or heard anything good or bad on ATK High performance. To be honest never heard of them till I was looking.

Or if anyone knows of a different company that has short or long block 429/460 crate engines. I looked at CHP they list them but when you navigate to the page it is blank. Also looked at Fordstrokers but they didn't have any 385series engine options.

Thanks in advance!

Lou

Lou's Comet

Re: Ford 429/460 BB

Post by Lou's Comet »

Never mind on the ATK, just search reviews on them and not very good. If anyone knows of another company that sells 385 series engines, 429/460 or bigger would be interested. Thanks again

Lou

comethead

Post by comethead »

Lou are you getting some evil ideas for the Comet?!? Or is that big ol motor for another project ?
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

comethead wrote:Lou are you getting some evil ideas for the Comet?!? Or is that big ol motor for another project ?
Another project, 69 Mustang fastback. Comet is getting a small block.

Lou

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Lou, BF Evans Ford,BF Evans Race Parts, Livermore,Ky 270 278 2376 Lem Evans Ask for Lem He truly knows the big block and will build you whatever you want. He is a down to earth guy with no BS,easy to talk to.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I spent 12 years as an outside sales rep for CARQUEST. When Jasper decided to screw us and go direct to the shops we first went with ATK. The very first engine we sold had problems, so did the 3rd. We Dropped them for Marshall/Blueprint, same junk.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

loman

Post by loman »

vicegrip wrote:Lou, BF Evans Ford,BF Evans Race Parts, Livermore,Ky 270 278 2376 Lem Evans Ask for Lem He truly knows the big block and will build you whatever you want. He is a down to earth guy with no BS,easy to talk to.
X2 on Lem. I bought my cam and lifters for my stroker motor through Lem based on his recommendations.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Guys,
I will give Lem a call,

Ripper, pretty much what I was thinking after reading some reviews. Seen they had Edelbrock heads on them in the pictures and thought they might have better builds than Jasper/ Blueprint. But doesn't seem to be the case. Going to be a higher end build and not going to use a questionable engine. If need be we have a 429 out of a69 TBird that we can have built. Thought if we got a crate engine would save some time and be easier..

Thanks!! Again

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou, after following your build and comments on different posts,, wish I was capable of writing the cheque on the car with the 460 build your work is AWE!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

If I were to buy an engine, it would be a Jasper or a factory re-man.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:Lou, after following your build and comments on different posts,, wish I was capable of writing the cheque on the car with the 460 build your work is AWE!
Thanks Fred! Means a lot coming from you. But don't feel bad, I obviously can't afford me either, or my car would be done.
Lip Ripper wrote:If I were to buy an engine, it would be a Jasper or a factory re-man.
Jasper has a pretty bad rep around here. Although I didn't think about factory reman. I use to work at a ford dealer I will also call them to see if a 460 is available. I still get ford employee discount :) Thanks Ripper

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Lou,the T Bird motor has a good block and the heads can make good power. Grab a crank and pistons and you got yourself a 460.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Guys!! Called Lem, real nice guy, he doesn't sell short blocks or crate engines. He only has a race block available and prob more than what we need for this build. Also called the Ford dealership and 385 series BB crate engine is no longer available. So going to rebuild the 429 T Bird engine.
vicegrip wrote:Lou,the T Bird motor has a good block and the heads can make good power. Grab a crank and pistons and you got yourself a 460.
Yea seems like the route to go. Took engine to local machine shop and just got back estimate. $3,500 to do block and heads. Eagle forged rotating assembly, asked for scat but they said none on stock and they don't have a production date for any future ones. Will end up with 468ci and about 10:1 compression. Next need to pick cam, intake and such. Just going to be street car so milder cam, was looking at the thumper cam to give it a hot rod sound but haven't done a lot of research on it yet. Couple years ago put one in a X brand build and it runs real good. Actually surprised me Didn't think it would preform as well as it did. Also thinking performer dual plane intake. But any suggestions more than welcome and as always Thanks

Lou

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Glad you're getting things figured out. Eagle is good but...an old stock 460 crank is capable of 1000+ hp and the C9 rods can do 600 if you limit rpm to around 6 grand. In my opinion,the rotating assemble your getting is a waste of money unless you're shooting for big inch and big power. Hopefully,your machine guy has the C/R figured out because with those 72 cc heads,you could end up with a race gas only deal real easy. On the intake (also in my opinion) the performer is made for snow plow trucks. Maybe go with the Performer RPM or the Torker 2 which is my fav because you get great street performance with something that will fit under a stock hood.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

vicegrip wrote: On the intake (also in my opinion) the performer is made for snow plow trucks.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
A neighbour down the road has a 460 in his snow plow equipped pickup, I'll check n see what he runs :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about