Engine not stopping with key out...

The Round Body, Finned Comets
junkmurray

Engine not stopping with key out...

Post by junkmurray »

Well I thought I posted this yesterday, but did a quick check this morning and didn't see anything so I'm "re-posting" (at least in my mind). And if this is a duplicate - apologies in advance.

Took my 63 S22 Hardtop for a stretch of the legs on Saturday, got home, turned the key off (and removed it) and the engine didn't stop. In order to get the engine to stop I reinserted the key, turned it "on" / wiggled it / wiggled steering column and somehow the engine stopped after a few minutes of me doing all sorts of combinations of messing with the key and steering wheel / column.

I recently installed a new battery and new starter solenoid but know that can't be the issue since not an issue starting. This is the first time this has happened, although in order to start the car I always have to push the steering column to the right (transmission linkage issue that I've learned to deal with).

I'm guessing that this issue is an ignition switch wiring issue but would appreciate any comments and suggestions. I noted there was a similar question 6 years ago or so, but no responses to that member's question so hoping for some advice this time.

Kind regards.
Tim
63 S22 Hardtop 260

blowerbob

Re: Engine not stopping with key out...

Post by blowerbob »

Hey Tim. Check to see if the car will shut off if the two small wires on the starter relay/solenoid. if it shuts off ok replace it.
hope that helps
Bob

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I would guess you have a ignition switch going bad. This is assuming your car still has switch in dash and hasn't had the steering column changed to one with ignition switch in it.

The solenoid has nothing to do with shutting engine off. Neither does steering column. And if it was some shorted wires I doubt wiggling key would un-short the wires.

You can test the switch but if it doesn't do it all the time might be hard to catch, but my money would be on the switch.

As far as having to push on column to start car have you tried adjusting neutral safety switch?

Lou

blowerbob

Post by blowerbob »

the solenoid if it has 2 small wires one is ignition and one is for start. if the one marked i stays hot that will cause it not to shut off. i have ran into this before. if you only have one small wire its not your problem
Bob