What is the best rear axle to use in my 61 Gasser?

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Andrewt69

What is the best rear axle to use in my 61 Gasser?

Post by Andrewt69 »

I recently purchased a 1961 Comet set up as a gasser. I want to change the gears in the rear end but have no idea what kind of axle it is other than it's a straight axle with drum brakes & has 3.00 gears that have to go. Looks like an 8"
Wondering if would be easier to put a different axle in it with disc brakes. Anyone recommend an axle I can use for a replacement?

Thanks

Andrew
Attachments
61 Comet axle.png
61 Comet axle.png (98.39 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
Andrew-1961 Cats Eye Comet Gassser

SASSY

Re: What is the best rear axle to use in my 61 Gasser?

Post by SASSY »

Looks like the early 60s 9inch with the 2 dimples I had under the Model A I wad building. Is there a big dent just off center or is that factory?
A pic of the center section would help.
I'm pretty sure there a kits available to put rear discs from a late model Crown Vic for the early 9inch. Would be an good source for parts.
Was thinking of this kit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1973-Ford ... ect=mobile
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Re: What is the best rear axle to use in my 61 Gasser?

Post by popscomet »

If you can take a socket and a ratchet and remove all the nuts that holds the gear chunk in ….that is an 8in gear.....but if you have to use a end wrench to remove the bottom 2 nuts ,,,you have a 9in,,,,don't know what part those dimples play....don't down play the 8in,,,there are 8in houseings that have all the extra webbing,,they are very stout,,have one in my comet now ! ! I have ran a 8in with slicks and a 4spd several times and never tore them up....in fact it's the very same one that is under my 4spd comet right now......if a man tries hard enough he can tear up an ANVIL,,,,so good luck in which route you choose to take….3.50,,,3,70....4.11.....even a 4.56 rear gear are plenty street savy,,all this is POP's opinion....
pop/glenda