63 Comet dash assembly question

The Round Body, Finned Comets
mopar 346

63 Comet dash assembly question

Post by mopar 346 »

I saw on another thread were there was a 63 dash assembly for sale, it made me question whether or not the dash unbolts as an assembly or if it was cut out. I always thought they were part of the car, the car was being parted out so it could've been cut out. So my question is, does it unbolt???

Thanks in advance, Kevin
Careful your character's showing!

poboyjo65

Re: 63 Comet dash assembly question

Post by poboyjo65 »

Nope !!! about 400 spot welds ! maybe a person could cut & have the seam for the donor dash under the dash pad ,,,vs in the windshield pinch where it is attached. then only minimal spotwelds to drill out on the sides. or you might be able to cut down there too & have the donor dash overlap & cover the remnants of the old one.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Ran across a guy earlier this year that hacks dashes from early Falcons and Comets for restorations. Was advertising on Craig'slist in Houston. He's based out of Washington state and has some rare stuff. May be the same guy. Bought a piece from him and he's legit. Have his e-mail address somewhere if anyone is interested.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

mopar 346 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:09 pm
I saw on another thread were there was a 63 dash assembly for sale, it made me question whether or not the dash unbolts as an assembly or if it was cut out. I always thought they were part of the car, the car was being parted out so it could've been cut out. So my question is, does it unbolt???

Thanks in advance, Kevin
Yes, I cut it out and it can be yours for $300 pickup in Florida, Minus speedo cluster and bezel

Comet Bruce

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

bmmaurer wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:36 am
Nice piece, Bruce and well worth the price of admission. Perfect replacement for a radio hack job.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Thanks for the info all, it was Bruce's thread. I don't actually need the dash, but Aunt Lou is getting to the point were I need to go back through her and I will need to paint the dash this time and of course redo the cluster and install the new dash pad. As some of you know I have a few brand Xs and many have dashes you can unbolt and put on a stand to redo and then roll it into the car as an assembly, while others are welded in and you have to be a contortionist to assembly the dash. When I saw his pictures I got all excited that I might have misjudged the Comet situation, unfortunately I did not. :(

My interior came from the guy in Washington and he does have a lot of good stuff.

Have a great evening!
Careful your character's showing!

power band

Post by power band »

saw on another thread were there was a 63 dash assembly for sale

.. very possibly they were referring to the early Speedo cluster(s). Popular items on E-Pay etc..

for early dash enthusiasts 8) :
... although the Comet has many components same as Falcon, the early Comet Dash is not dipped in center like Falcon! .

The Jet-Age MEL cockpit and speedo clusters of early Comets' complement the swept wings and fender mounted gunsights.

have fun