Andy’s 62 S-22

The Round Body, Finned Comets
bowsawkid

Andy’s 62 S-22

Post by bowsawkid »

I have a 62 S-22 that I bought in ‘77 for $200 but it has sat outside at my ex-wife’s property for 40 years and she had to get it moved so she asked to come and get it so have to get it running and driveable but the original turquoise paint is 95 percent gone and it is mostly surface rust , I’m 70 years old now but I can do the mechanics no problem as I’ve been a professional mechanic all my life but not much of a painter but I was thinking of spraying the body with POR-15 any thoughts ?

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Andy’s 62 S-22

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

por-15 has no UV protection. It is good for underbody protection, not good for the outside sheet metal. Do you have any pictures? How did the body stand up to sitting outside all those years?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

power band

Re: Andy’s 62 S-22

Post by power band »

been a professional mechanic all my life but not much of a painter but I was thinking of spraying the body with POR-15 any thoughts ?

also similar mechanic - but no body work type's $.02:

POR 15 is an encpsulator more than a paint. It sticks well to rusty surfaces that are grease-free but does not look like paint. It can be surfaced so paint will stick but adds more work to prep. I used POR 15 extensively on surface rusted underparts and engine bay on my Comet. Without additional treatment, it is hard and shiny and the nice black needs additional "Chassis Coat" from POR or the nice black will turn weird milky translucent with UV from sun.

"modern" car paints are simpler in general to apply and almost universally start with a 2 part (2K) Epoxy "primer/sealer" over any body work filler, old paint and other 'primers'. My '61 was taken to bare metal with flaws, sprayed with a good epoxy/sealer and repaired flaw by flaw with the epoxy sealer sanded back off repair areas until another epoxy sealer/primer then high build primer and finally paint ...

The 2K Epoxy Primers are available in basic primer colors as well .

have fun

Image . Image

Image . Image . Image

'Corinthian/Wimbledon White' - Single Stage Acrylic Urethane