63 single master bowl upgrade to dual

The Round Body, Finned Comets
galaxyflyer1

63 single master bowl upgrade to dual

Post by galaxyflyer1 »

Hello guys, I would like to do the upgrade without a booster. I'm staying with all drums for now. Wondering if the dual master with the 2 different sized bowels that are meant for disc (I'm assuming) would be OK? I did find a nice youtube video where a 67 Fairlane manual master (2 large bowels) and other parts were used to adapt to a 63 Falcon. I was looking for something simpler to install. Also, my understanding is that my fittings are 3/16"?
I saw this kit on Ebay, but not sure if this would be "plug and play".
Thank you for your help,
Bob

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145180773898
1963 S-22 Sedan

SASSY

Re: 63 single master bowl upgrade to dual

Post by SASSY »

I did a dual bowl for drums before I went to discs.
I ordered a master for a 70 Maverick all drums. Bolted in modded the lines and don't remember about the fittings but should be easy to sort.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

galaxyflyer1 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:59 pm
Hello guys, I would like to do the upgrade without a booster. I'm staying with all drums for now. Wondering if the dual master with the 2 different sized bowels that are meant for disc (I'm assuming) would be OK? I did find a nice youtube video where a 67 Fairlane manual master (2 large bowels) and other parts were used to adapt to a 63 Falcon. I was looking for something simpler to install. Also, my understanding is that my fittings are 3/16"?
I saw this kit on Ebay, but not sure if this would be "plug and play".
Thank you for your help,
Bob

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145180773898
Disclaimer.
This reply is my personal opinion based in previous experiences.
Upgrading to a dual master cylinder is a smart move.
There are no plug and play brake systems. Each vehicle, especially modified, have different components that affect braking systems. The ebay system you are looking at
has a combination valve and a master cylinder, I am not a fan of combination valves.
There is no way a non adjustable combination valve will work on different systems be it disc or drum or a combination of each. The Maverick master cylinder that Sassy mentioned will probably work for your stock drum/drum system, you will no doubt need to do some plumbing to connect it to your existing lines. Being that your master cylinder is mounted on the firewall, above the level of your wheel cylinders you will NOT need to install a residual check valve. ( 10lb valve) You now have a single line from the master cylinder to a distribution fitting that splits the front and rear lines, you will need to run a separate line from the master cylinder for the front and rear brakes, this can be done easily with off the shelf brass fittings, your existing brake lines can be reused if they are in good condition, if you have doubts of their condition replace them, especially the rubber lines. Do yourself a favor and invest or borrow a quality flaring tool, fabricating leak free lines the first time will make the project much easier.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

galaxyflyer1

Post by galaxyflyer1 »

Thank you Jim for taking the time for sharing your experience. So far it looks like I will be following the directions from this youtube video. Seems to be on point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV616mhtAQk
1963 S-22 Sedan

robib

Post by robib »

Going to a dual master is OK, but if you don't replace all the wheel cylinders as well. why bother with the master.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

robib wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:02 pm
Going to a dual master is OK, but if you don't replace all the wheel cylinders as well. why bother with the master.
I would say for the safety of the dual MC. because if you rupture a line with a single MC you wont have any brakes at all. but if you rupture a line with a dual MC it can only affect front or rear brakes but not both so you would still have some brakes, some is better than none. trust me it's a bad feeling when the pedal goes to the floor & does nothing.
Johno

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

robib wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:02 pm
Because there's nothing wrong with them?

warren1328

Post by warren1328 »

I have just ordered this conversion kit (drum to drum) from NPD
https://www.npdlink.com/product/convers ... rum/219072
Hasn't arrived yet, but I've done multiple conversions on my Falcons with bits scrounged from all over and refurbished.
This one looks to cover all the bases and seemed a good price.