Time for an update on the '61

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Unclescamino

Time for an update on the '61

Post by Unclescamino »

Time for some updates!

Well when I first got my comet running it had some idle issues. I tried rebuilding the carb and a tune up. It helped but didnt' go away. I started pulling plug wires and found that when I pulled #6 it didn't change the idle at all. So I do a compression check and got no compression at all. The next step was a cylinder leak down test and I found that all the air was rushing out the exhaust valve. Well I wanted to rebuild the head anyway because of leaking valve stem seals. I take the head out and have it rebuilt and shaved off .025 inch to make up the difference of the thicker gasket. Install the new head and it runs alot better.
Still wasn't idling right though so I check found a new 1908 Holley online and ordered it. I put it on today and the car runs amazing. I am surprise that this little 170 has so much power.

Anyway now that I got the most of the engine work done and I know its going to be a good running car I am going to get started on the body work soon. Over winter I want to tear it down enough to get it all in white epoxy primer. I also want to redo the interior. Next spring I hope to get it painted and then slowly work on getting all the chrome done.
1961 Mercury Comet 2dr, 170 Merc-o-matic, white with red and white interior.
1979 Chevy El Camino SS, 350 4-speed 3.73posi
2000 VW Beetle TDI 52mpg work car.