HelloThere!

The Round Body, Finned Comets
vintageibm

HelloThere!

Post by vintageibm »

I am new here and to the comet ownership, I picked myself up a 63 four door from a salvage yard as a freebie. It also came along with three other parts cars after spending some time in the salvage yard running around fixing all the missing parts on mine I then hauled it to storage were it will sit for a few years until I can afford to work on it. How are these cars for rusting out, were are the common places? I check the wheel wells fenders rocker panels bottom of doors floors and they look very solid any other places I missed? Something I read somewhere is they don't make any body panels for these comets, is this true? One of the other parts car has complete motor and trans unit but someone toke off the hood and the carb and V cover. So am sure the motor is full of water could that motor be used for parts say if my block turns out be bad ect?

I uploaded the photos here http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/vintageibm/
Thanks in advance,
Eric

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: HelloThere!

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks like a pretty solid starting point for a nice little project. I would pour a bucket of water into cowl area in front of the windshield. Then watch the front floor area for the water leaking into the car. That is what usually causes the floor to rust out.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Hillbilly Comet Man

Re: HelloThere!

Post by Hillbilly Comet Man »

All of the cars I have have rust issues in the front lower hood lip and a couple have rust under the rear trunk lid lip.Most have the usual wheel lip rust
19'62 2Dr. Sedan, Black with Red interior.
1962 Comet S-22,Champagne w/beige and white interior
Black 1993 Ford Lightning