gas tank install--what sealant?

The Round Body, Finned Comets
forden

gas tank install--what sealant?

Post by forden »

Looking for advice on mounting a new gas tank. Need to know what kind of seal to use between the tank and the flange? Got one suggestion of silicone on the flange, a strip of felt, then another layer of silicone between felt and tank. Original shop manual says "caulking cord" (that tar/rubber stuff they used to use) but I'm guessing that's outdated for what's out there now.

Anyone done this with good results? What did you use?

Thanks
-----------------------------------------
1963 Comet 4-door

eckenber

Re: gas tank install--what sealant?

Post by eckenber »

Had plumbers putty on mine when I removed the tank. Don't now if it was factory.
1970 Ford Fairlane 500 429scj -drag pack option
1986 Mustang GT, heads, cam, intake, vortech super charger
1964 comet calente -in progress

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

they still make something silimar to caulking cord. messy but its a urethane strip that goes under removable or should i say bolt in windows. it dosent dry firm and stick like winshild urethane. and comes in a roll.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

COMET KID

Post by COMET KID »

IF you put a sealant like silicone .. you may never get it out.. you can some stuff that they have many names for.. but it is a tarry rope like sealant.. it is almost shapeable.. they use it in body shops and other places.. you should not use anything that you think may not ever come off.. and yes something like plumbers tape would work as well.. check out your local supply store that handles body shop items.. the names are like.. DUM DUM.. ETC

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

I bought some at Auto Zone when I flushed my tank, think it was $9.00 for a 12 or 15ft roll.

forden

Post by forden »

Thanks guys

I found a Mustang forum recommending 3M strip caulk--which I think is pretty much the same stuff you guys are recommending, black and super sticky, used for mounting/sealing body parts. I got some for $15 though most places don't carry it.

The BIGGER problem is the 16 gal tank I ordered from Mac's hits the muffler when installed, so I am looking at having an exhaust pipe bent to clear it, AND the filler neck on the tank is 1 1/2" off center from the filler pipe. Wishing I had just dropped the extra $$ on the OE 14 gal. tank at this point. May return this one and do that.
-----------------------------------------
1963 Comet 4-door