Ignition problems-1962 Comet with a 260 V-8

The Round Body, Finned Comets
bettiegirlsrbest

Ignition problems-1962 Comet with a 260 V-8

Post by bettiegirlsrbest »

I have a 1962 Mercury Comet with a 260 V-8. I have had the car for a few weeks, it was a first turn of the key starter. I had it out going around the block. I came to a stop and the car died. I have not been able to get it started since. The engine turns over and acts like it wants to start but no dice yet.
The things I have checked are as follows: TDC is right on the 1 on the Dis cap, Plenty of fuel being pumped by the fuel pump, carb when throttled has plenty of fuel going down the throat of the carb, the spark is good, compression on all Cyl's is about 90 for each Cyl, the plugs and points are gapped to specifications.
The things I have replaced are the Dis Cap, points and condensor, the coil, spark plugs and wires, the starter solenoid, pos and neg battery cables.

When I advance the Distributor/Timing as far as it will go the car will start but won't stay running and sounds nowhere like she should. What I have been told my other web postings is perhaps the timing chain is stretched or maybe she jumped time. If so what is a good way to make sure before I tear into the engine. Thanks for your help

comethead

Re: Ignition problems-1962 Comet with a 260 V-8

Post by comethead »

bettiegirlsrbest wrote: Plenty of fuel being pumped by the fuel pump, carb when throttled has plenty of fuel going down the throat of the carb
Some ideas:
Could the carb use a rebuild? Is it flooding the motor? Spark is there...is it strong enough? Any vacuum leaks around carb base or anywhere else? Maybe if you throw a new coil in there just for troubleshooting.

Let us know how it goes.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

bettiegirlsrbest

Post by bettiegirlsrbest »

THe carb is original and seems to be giving plenty of fuel. I haven't checked for vac leaks around the carb yet. I replaced the coil and the spark seems plenty strong. I will post what I find out once I finish troubleshooting. Thanks for the help.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Plenty of fuel is good, too much is bad.
Good luck and post any more info as you go.
Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed