63 seats

The Round Body, Finned Comets
riverbum

63 seats

Post by riverbum »

a friend has a 63 falcon convertble that he completely customized the interior in, and told me i can get the bucket seats for $60. does anyone know if they sit as low as a 65-68 mustang seat? i am having head clearance issues with the bench seat in my 65

RCMike

Re: 63 seats

Post by RCMike »

Wish I knew.. I have a bench..

Sorry.

Mike
'63 Comet Hardtop

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

If not get them anyway... you'll do great on ebay if the're in good shape

Comet Bruce

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

i can get the seats and the console for about $125 and all are in pretty good shape. is the falcon console similar to the comet console? i probably wont use the console, but i am sure i can help someone else out that needs one

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Same console and will bring at least $100 on ebay

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

bmmaurer wrote:Same console and will bring at least $100 on ebay
Man ,.have I thrown and gave so much money away in the past,,!!pop
pop/glenda

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

pop, i have the car up on jack stands right now while i was getting the brakes bled. i put the driver's side seat in, after i drilled a few holes, and looks like i have better head clearance. the guy decided to hold on to the console for a week or two to see if the guy helping him wanted it first. should have a bottle of argon delivered next week and the shop is wired up and a 50 amp receptacle installed for my stick welder and my good friend pulled his miller bobcat out of storage to keep at my shop. i still like the idea of a vintage road racing theme. i will be working some long hours in mobile starting sunday, so i wont have much time to do anything this weekend or next.

i do have a question though, were the road racing cars of the 60's required to keep the back seats? i'm thinking about making a clean transition at the back carpet to a couple bead rolled panels to cover where the back sea is now. this will make a clean fit for the roll cage and wont have to worry about having to bend the diagonal bars around the seats. i can shoot them straight to the rear frame rails

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Don't know for sure,but it seems to me they had rear seats...but I like the way your leaning better,,,kinda like a2plus2 fast back mustang with rear seat folded down,thats one of the things about the AMC--AMX, no rear seat,thats when bucket seats look thier best..be careful hanging off that bridge...pop
pop/glenda

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have seen them both ways, but at the last vintage road race I went to none of the cars had back seats.
Here is a picture of a 64 Falcon road race car that conforms to current vintage road race rules.

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

notice,,how long door lock button is,is there a special reason?...no rear seat sure helped when installing roll cage....pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

If you go the vintage road race theme then the drivers factory bucket seat will have to go:

65 Shelby GT350R

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

it should be pretty easy to pull off without the back seat, but i will keep the front buckets for a little comfort. i can drop racing seat in if i decide to put it on the track. not sure what the the rules and specs are for a road car, so i guess i need to get over to commerce, ga and start looking at what is required and reading up on the requirments. i may never go to a track to race, but i would rather do it right the first time and not have a bunch of re-do's. thanks for the pictures and the tips

Falconred

Post by Falconred »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:I have seen them both ways, but at the last vintage road race I went to none of the cars had back seats.
Here is a picture of a 64 Falcon road race car that conforms to current vintage road race rules.

Those shoulder harneses worry me, the attaching points are high enough but they are so far back that I am afraid that they might sill allow some spinal compression in an accident. The cross bar in Comethead's car looks like a better arrangement. I don't know how your seats are made so I don't know how they would effect the belts. Just don't want anyone hurt. Look in most rule books and they will show the belts going over a cross bar close behind the seats.

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

i will have my roll bar right behind the seat and the top of the seat will be resting on the cross bar. i will be in your neighborhood for a little while tomorrow. headed to dawsonville to pick up an extra transmission for the comet