instrument panel light switch dimmer

The Round Body, Finned Comets
classiccomet

instrument panel light switch dimmer

Post by classiccomet »

Hi everyone! I realized when I took my '63 out the other day that the dash lights weren't working. So, I took it apart after work with a friend of mine. We replaced a burnt out bulb, a fuse, and reset some of the sockets so that the circuit was grounded. I managed to get the lights to work, but only when the knob was turned all the way counterclockwise with the interior light on. When the switch was in the other positions, it would not work. What could be causing this? Do I have a faulty switch? Could it be a re-wiring issue from a previous owner? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the switch that I could use to make sure the circuit is hooked up correctly? Thanks so much.
Last edited by classiccomet on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KrAyVyN

Re: instrument panel light switch dimmer

Post by KrAyVyN »

Not exactly sure how everything is wired up behind your dashboard, as you are implying that someone else had rewired it previously, but it sounds like your switch is going bad. Hard to tell without actually getting behind it myself.
Sure I can make a mustang with flowmaster's, a Camaro with a cowl hood, or a Charger with gawdy chrome crap,

It takes a TRUE car bulder to do something noone has ever seen before

classiccomet

Post by classiccomet »

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a 3rd option that I was missing. Someone has done some rewiring work back there, but you would think that if the switch does turn on the light on the interior setting that it would be a bad switch. I'll investigate more and keep my eye out for a replacement.

BJB

Post by BJB »

I have the similar problem with my Falcon which I believe utilises the same switch as the Mercury. My dash lamp will work occasionally and when I move the knob it will flicker. The lamp intensity is not really variable, it either works or it doesn't. I think I have a dud switch and will replace it.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

classiccomet

Post by classiccomet »

Mine wound up being a bad switch. Thanks for the help!