Size of the rear diff

The Round Body, Finned Comets
KrAyVyN

Size of the rear diff

Post by KrAyVyN »

I had a quick question, I have a 61 and I was wondering what rear diff is in it, it's stock, and I was considering doing an 8.8 conversion. Or possibly putting a new ring and pinion set in it, but I don't know what size it is. Any help is appreciated.
Sure I can make a mustang with flowmaster's, a Camaro with a cowl hood, or a Charger with gawdy chrome crap,

It takes a TRUE car bulder to do something noone has ever seen before

Ratical

Re: Size of the rear diff

Post by Ratical »

V8 or strait 6, original? How many lugs 4 or 5? Also in the drivers door jamb is there and id plate? The numbers and letters on that may help us to help you. Im not sure on early comets.but this info will help our more knowlegable members help you.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Also is there a metal tag on the pumpkin? What kind of motorvation do you have, horsepower, etc? I ask only because 9" rears are strong and have the cool factor, but there's also additional weight there - in short a swap may not be worth the time/money if your not going to be stressing the rear. As you said, you might just want to go with a good gear set rather than swap the whole thing...

So if I talked you out of a 9-inch you can now sell it to me =)
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DON'T know how I over looked this,but I did,bone stock 61 comet will have that dinky little rear ,the rear cover comes off. WHAT you put in to replace it is strickly your busines,but an 8in would be easier than an 8.8,or better yet,fix what you have,if it's going to stay stock,but either way ,8in would be my choice..thank you,have a great day :D pop
pop/glenda

KrAyVyN

Post by KrAyVyN »

It is a 200L6, C4 auto with the stock rear. I think the pinion gear is 3.80ish, the car is down in southern Ohio getting paint and body currently and I should know the actual gearing when I get her back. She's a 4 lugger, I was unsure what the size of the diff is exactly, not many places offer replacements without knowing what you have exactly.
Sure I can make a mustang with flowmaster's, a Camaro with a cowl hood, or a Charger with gawdy chrome crap,

It takes a TRUE car bulder to do something noone has ever seen before

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Scrap the rearend. An 8 inch can take a considerable amount of power. One from a 65 mustang bolted right under my 62 comet. And for that matter the whole front end of the mustang bolted straight to my 62; I just used the strut rods from the comet which were actually beefier than the v8 stang rods and a little different. The mustang strut rods weren't adjustable for caster but the comet rods were, making it a better all around package.

LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

I've personally been hunting a 9" for mine but I now have a good lead on a 8" - may end up going that route - hoping it'll work out. The one thing for certain right now is that the (current) 7.25 rear IS NOT gonna handle the abuse that the 331 is gonna send its way.
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I used an 8 inch with 4.62 gears and a mini spool; drag raced it for 3 seasons launching with a 5000 stall converter and it it was mint when I removed it.

LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

BJB

Post by BJB »

popscomet wrote:DON'T know how I over looked this,but I did,bone stock 61 comet will have that dinky little rear ,the rear cover comes off. WHAT you put in to replace it is strickly your busines,but an 8in would be easier than an 8.8,or better yet,fix what you have,if it's going to stay stock,but either way ,8in would be my choice..thank you,have a great day :D pop
So that would be the 7.25" rear end. Our Falcons had them also but the tallest ratio was 3.20. I think you guys had real highway diffs to chose from like 2.83, 3.00 ( would love one of those) 8 and 8.8" are only on axles out of imported Mavericks etc but the importers want a lot of money for those.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."