62 comet, Miata Drivetrain Build

The Round Body, Finned Comets
SASSY

Re: 62 comet, Miata Drivetrain Build

Post by SASSY »

Pretty damn BRIGHT for a Dimmwatt!!
Beauty!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

Hey guys. Attacked the e brake today....actually last week, but got pics today.

I used the original bell crank mechanism only moved it rearward. I did this to gain ground clearance. It now lives under the rear passengers seat on the drivers side.

I had to drill new holes through the frame as the mounts for the miata sub frame blocked the original hole

This is the best image i can get of the bracket i made to hold the rearmost end of the cable housing. Its in the tunnel above the exhaust. The original position was through the trans mount frame rail. That got cut out so this needed to be welded in.

Here is thhe new mech.

Same parts with the addition of the return spring from my stash of goodies. The bracket was welded to the exhaust hanger mount that i built. Its a bolt in unit. You will also notice both miata cables are on one side now. This bracket is also bolted in, and connected to the exhaust hangar bracket via a small tube. Its hard to explain. I also needed to introduce a bend in the lever to clear the exhaust. Also flattened the return spring mount....all original but modified comet parts...

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Right on , looks good
Looking forward to seeing it on the street!
Afterall eferyone knows how much I like the odd ones!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Munssey

Post by Munssey »

oh man, this is a cool build! I cant wait to see how confused the guys at the parts house look when you point under the hood and say "yes, I need a timing belt... can you help?" :D

6T5 404

Post by 6T5 404 »

Munssey wrote:I cant wait to see how confused the guys at the parts house look when you point under the hood and say "yes, I need a timing belt... can you help?" :D
If they are anything like the guys at the parts stores around here they would not come out and look anyway. If it isn't on the computer it just doesn't exist.
I actually had one of them ask, "Who made the Comet? Oldsmobile?" I guess I am just getting old.
Dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Dave,back in the late 90's,GLENDA drove her 56 ford and I drove my comet on the MOBILE ONE FORD power tour,nothing but FORDS,I loved it,anyway,we wound up in BOWLING GREEN,KENTUCKY for the car show,the judges came up to my comet,2of them,as they were walking around it,they both looked at me and 1 said ,COMET ? who made this,I've never heard of one,,of course that went thru me like a dose of salt water thru a old widow woman.!,,,I said if you don't know what it is ,then how in the hell can you judge it ?,you'd think a JUDGE at a car show,would be alittle more savvy,.....our counter people at the parts store here are not any better then those you deal with.I actually asked a counter BOY at O'REILY's one day for a muffler bearing for a 57 buick v8 stick shift with dual exhaust,,,after a min or 2 of him flipping pages,I said..forget it ,I'm just messin with you....but he bite...hook line and sinker......POP
pop/glenda

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

Muffler bearings do exist

Technically speaking, a turbo does muffle sound and it does have a bearing.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YES SIR,BUT NOT ON A 57 BUICK,and besides,he didn't know that,,,,thanks for pointing that out,I own a 86 couger 2.3 turo-bo 4cyl,so I guess I own a muffler bearing !! COOL POP :lol: :D
pop/glenda

6T5 404

Post by 6T5 404 »

POP,
More years ago than I would like to admit I was Service Director (Service Director = GOFER. Titles are like A$$HOLES; some are just bigger than others) for a FORD dealership.
I made the mistake of sending our parts runner (a young man that had just graduated from an Ivy League college that was learning the auto business so he could take over his daddy's operation in another state) to the parts store for a brass magnet to clean the brass shavings out of an engine we had just overhauled. That parts store caught on to what was happening pretty fast and sent him to another parts store. He called me about 3 hours into the trip from a town three towns away to tell me that he was going to have to go to Columbus to get one because there were none in the area. I told him to forget it. We had gotten everything out with some duct tape and he could just come back to the store.
To this day I don't know if he ever found out we were messing with him or if, when he took over his father's business, he had the part department stocked with duct tape to remove those brass shavings.
Dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DAVE,when I was 19yrs old,worked at a lumber yard,the leadman sent me to as he said,FETCH us a medium bay stretcher from another department,I was sent all over that lumber yard,trying to FETCH a bay stretcher,I walked my legs off,finaly an ole black worker came up to me and put his hand on my shoulder and said ,son they is a messin wit you,they ain't no such a thang ,as he could tell I was kinda of pissed,he said,son let it ride,don't let em know your pissed,and I never did,had a ball working there,me and those old workers cut up and laughed all the time,when I went on to bigger and better things ,they hated to see me leave,,,sorry,won't post here anymore..pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:sorry,won't post here anymore..pop
Scared someone will take a dimm view of watt your babbling about? :mrgreen:
HEy Dimm hope you can handle them Arcansaweions.
Checked in to see if they were any new pics of your progress and seen what you
have had to put up with,,,,,couldn't help adding to it :mrgreen:
ferd

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:
ferd
POP ain't scared of but 2 people in this world=== GOD and ms.GLENDA,but don't tell her I said that.....POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:
SASSY wrote:
ferd
POP ain't scared of but 2 people in this world=== GOD and ms.GLENDA,but don't tell her I said that.....POP
how much older are you going to get before you learn how to spell your name ,,,FRED,,, :mrgreen: :P
pop/glenda

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

No worries gents

I dont really care if i get thread jacked. It keeps the thread alive!

As for an update....well i got two things done. I installed an overflow bottle... Against my better judgement, but at the request of my wife, i installed a window wash bottle. The firewall isnt as clean, but it doesnt look too bad

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'd say you used your better judgment, keepin the wife happy! Its amazing all the mods you've made, great job ! Are you gonna leave that cordless drill in the trunk for her to let the spare tire down? :lol:
Johno