Whats the Difference? Help

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Allaboutgq

Whats the Difference? Help

Post by Allaboutgq »

Ok heres my delima. I just bought a 1963 Comet. Or at least I think its a 1963. My title says 63 my door data plate and indicates also that it is a 1963. This car has however been restored and it might be a 1962. I have the fender gunsights, my hood has the mercury across the front in block letters rather than the script, Mine is also an s-22. However it has the s-22 badging at the rear not the front like the pictures in the brochure. How ca I tell for sure what year my car is?? Is there anywhere where the vin is stamped on the frame or somewhere. I almost think its a 62 thats been converted to a 63.

If you wanna take a look at it yourself its here

63merc.blogspot.com

Thanks
Matt

Hillbilly Comet Man

Post by Hillbilly Comet Man »

Looks like a 63 with a 62 front cap.63 was the first year for the Comet Convertible.The Vin should be on either the drivers side inner apron or drivers side shock tower brace.If its a 63 on the inner apron.I have seen other cars that have used carry over parts before.Nice Car,Heath
19'62 2Dr. Sedan, Black with Red interior.
1962 Comet S-22,Champagne w/beige and white interior
Black 1993 Ford Lightning

Allaboutgq

Post by Allaboutgq »

Thanks Heath I appreciate the help. I was looking for other places where the vin was stamped. I realized after I posted the thread that 63 was the first year of the convertibles. So that pretty much rules out being a 62. But I think that you are correct about it haveing a 62 hood.
thanks again
Matt

bmmaurer

Re: Whats the Difference? Help

Post by bmmaurer »

Hey I was also trying to but this car at the same time you were a few years back from this guy Steve in Texas. I made him an offer but you had already contacted him.

I didn't know much then about the Comet model but do now that I own a '63 S-22.

Everything about this car indicates it's either a prototype convertible made late '62 (since the convert. came out in '63) Which would make it very rare, or that someone took a '62 S-22 and chopped the top and put a '63 convertible mechanism on it.

The gunsight fender ornaments, the '62 grill, the placement on the S-22 ormaments, the 4-spoke steering wheel, the hood letters, ALL indicate '62 S-22.

Is there a VIN # stamped on the inner driver's fenderwall at hood level. If so what does it say.

I'm have always been interested in what this car really was, Either one a kind super rare or just a modified '62.

Comet Bruce

willybowden

Post by willybowden »

Are there photo's? Would love to see it. Have a 63 also S-22 hardtop.

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Here's the photos

http://63merc.blogspot.com/

Comet Bruce

Hillbilly Comet Man

Post by Hillbilly Comet Man »

Hey I checked out the pics.I would love to look over the car in person,To satisfy my curiosity.Things that I do notice is that it has the correct 1962 Comet S-22 steering wheel, a 1962 Comet front cap sheetmetal.The S-22 emblems are mounted at the rear like the 1961 Comet S-22.We also know that the Convertible was not available till mid 63.I would like to see a pic of the Inner apron on the battery side,The drivers side shock tower brace,the wheel well area behind the front tire and the glovebox door.That would help me make a decision also.Nice Car,Heath
19'62 2Dr. Sedan, Black with Red interior.
1962 Comet S-22,Champagne w/beige and white interior
Black 1993 Ford Lightning