65 Comet with 390

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: 65 Comet with 390

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:48 pm
POP has run more then 1 carb for several yrs,2 4's,,3 2's,,,,,but my engine always was more crisp with 1 4bbl carb,,,,I just like the whow factor of a few carbs sitting on the top of the motor........pop
Exactly I may experience the same thing but like th idea of distributing more fuel the length of the long motor for maybe better balance the one barrel does work well however and it is a toss up to switch, but then there is that cool factor of multi carbs :lol: especially on a six, some stuff for show I guess are needed :wink: never be a go fast car anyway but I just want to try something different for a change :lol: :lol:
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I was pleasantly surprised to check my mileage on the trip this past weekend and find that I got 17mpg and 16mpg with the Cyclone. The dual Quads do not seem to hurt the mileage when driving at highway speeds. I have two Holley 390cfm on a low rise vintage Shelby intake, I drive sensibility and rarely break 75mph. The only reason I even care about fuel mileage is that I usually travel with friends who have cars that have modern engines with FI, sometimes I think they “remove” fuel from their tanks when we stop at a station.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:14 pm
I was pleasantly surprised to check my mileage on the trip this past weekend and find that I got 17mpg and 16mpg with the Cyclone. The dual Quads do not seem to hurt the mileage when driving at highway speeds. I have two Holley 390cfm on a low rise vintage Shelby intake, I drive sensibility and rarely break 75mph. The only reason I even care about fuel mileage is that I usually travel with friends who have cars that have modern engines with FI, sometimes I think they “remove” fuel from their tanks when we stop at a station.
Newer cars are just transportation to me n me so they need the creature comforts and good mileage. I guess putting a 22 gallon tank in the Comet I am not looking for a gas sipper, but who knows :roll: maybe, I will never have to stop for gas on tr.ips and make people wonder if I am getting some kind of phenomenal mileage but if I had to fill up all the mystery would be revealed :lol:maybe several 100# of fuel will give me better rear traction and I won’t keep leaving black marks until I burn some fuel off, the rear airbags are just holding about 25# of air wth the tank empty the fronts run 75# so there’s is some balance issues I may need to address at some point, currently I think. Having some spacers made for the front bags , maybe an inch 1/2” top and bottom so I could let a little air out of the fronts and keep rides height the same, but need to see how it feels on the highway with the current setup first, the front bags are 5.5”dia. Bags BTW the rears are 6” with a lot of lift (11”)
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

loman

Post by loman »

With the ignition box switched over to a MSD 6AL2, we went racing on the 1/4 mile for first time with dual quads 2 weeks ago. The best pass was only a 12.51 but with tunnel wedge intake and small cam and 450 mech secondary carbs that may be all its capable of.

Yesterday, we switched to 600 vacuum secondary carbs. We will try that and see what that does next time out. Also, next time out will be at 1/8 mile track again.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

loman wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 am
Yesterday, we switched to 600 vacuum secondary carbs. We will try that and see what that does next time out. Also, next time out will be at 1/8 mile track again.
I'm betting they'll work better. Run linkage 1:1 and use purple springs for baseline tune? Don't need a hellacious cam to make a lot of power with those heads.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

loman

Post by loman »

This past weekend with the 600 cfm vacuum carbs, the best pass was a 7.72 in the eighth. I'm guessing that would be a 12.30- 12.35 range pass in the 1/4. It had a slight stumble at the initial launch the first couple of passes and then it didn't do it any more. We are trying to decide what we will change next if anything before the next race.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

What spring are you using in the vacuum canister, Loman?
I believe most of the old factory drag carbs ran purple ones.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

loman

Post by loman »

I'm not sure what spring is currently in it. We never got to adjusting on secondaries this week. Something we may look into for next time along with a jetting and timing change.

loman

Post by loman »

Over the winter, pulled the motor and checked bearings. We changed valve springs also, hoping to fix some gremlins we were chasing but that as is far as we got this winter. The motor is still partially disassembled and out of the car and its race season. :( . I have been fighting a back issue the past 6 months and I finally went under the knife the other day so it doesn't look like there will be much racing this year, if any. I can only hope for next year. :oops:

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

loman wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:28 pm
Over the winter, pulled the motor and checked bearings. We changed valve springs also, hoping to fix some gremlins we were chasing but that as is far as we got this winter. The motor is still partially disassembled and out of the car and its race season. :( . I have been fighting a back issue the past 6 months and I finally went under the knife the other day so it doesn't look like there will be much racing this year, if any. I can only hope for next year. :oops:
Take care of yourself man. Been fighting back issues myself for last year w/o much help from doctors.
Let's hope for better days to come.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

To much whiplash comin' off the line? :shock: Hang in there. :wink:

Jim

loman

Post by loman »

Made it to the track the other week for the first time this year. It seems the different valve springs was the cure. I only got 3 runs in but the car revved up to 6000 without blinking. It managed a 12.19 with about 80 lbs of weight added to the car. Without the weight that would put it around 12.11 or so. Not good enough for the 12.00 bracket so i'll slow it down to the 12.25 bracket or 7.85 in the 1/8th. My back is still hurting so not sure when I will make it out again.

loman

Post by loman »

I posted earlier that I broke an axle on my black car. Well 2 or 3 weeks later. The 8" ford gave up the ghost in my other car. We knew there was a good chance that the 8" would not last and it took 3 years of abuse behind the FE.

loman

Post by loman »

Luckily this breakage happened at the end of the year. I ended up 9th in points. So overall good year. I'm now taking the 9" ford from my donor truck that i got the 390 and c6 from and narrowing to put in the blue car. I'm going to use my 31 spline spool that I took out of the black car.

loman

Post by loman »

While dealing with the axle debacle for my other car, 2 weeks ago I finally got axles ordered for this car. Was told they would be special order because they are long and might take some time. WTF, they are stock length axles. The rearend I narrowed is out of a 68 F100 truck. The passenger side I didn't even narrow. It is stock. The drivers side I removed around 4" from it. I didn't minitub the car or anything. I am just simply replacing the 8" with a 9". Depending on when I receive these and if I have the same issues with these, I'm in danger of missing the first race of the year. :oops: Might have to call another axle manufacturer and check their lead time.