Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:09 pm
I so very much needed to see this.especially that last pic! :D my flange was wavy & not put together right in places with one side of flange higher than the other. I had been trimming it & getting the waves out a while back. Now I know how I will check it all . So Thanks again. been in the back of my mind trying to figure out how I could do it better than just eyeballing it. All the other updates are cool too, might borrow some of them. really like those hoses, did you take notice what they were for? or have a part#?

How far is your breather going up in the snorkel Lou? all the way? Are you going with some sort of rubber flap to seal it off from engine heat? I was looking at a radiator support to hood seal post a while back ,cant remember where, but I thought something like that on the hole in my hood would let me get rid of the bigger breather base & foam seal that I have now that stays on carb & It would look so much better with some kind of seal on the hood.
Thanks John,,, the hoses are Gates 19038. My air cleaner just touches the underneath of my hood. But I want to have enough room for the cleaner to fit inside the snorkel in case I decide to add a spacer. Not going to seal up the cleaner to hood,,will put a piece of some type of rubber "U" Chanel around the cut edge of the hole. To have a finished look.

The flange for the windshield did throw me off for a little while but once I straightened it the glass fit nice.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 8:32 pm
Looking good Lou! It’s the little details that make a difference.

When I was building my Comet I wanted to keep the heater but the rubber hoses interfered with the valve cover. I decided to move the hose tubing location, I soldered copper tubing to the core and moved the holes in the firewall. I used threaded 90 degree fittings and two Dayco 80398 heater hoses. The hoses were longer than I needed which was good. ( they may work well for some of you who need an option, they have a molded 90 degree end)
The hoses run along the valve cover near the intake, so they are not real visible.
I do not have a seal between the hood plenum and the air cleaners but the air cleaners do protrude into the cavity of the hood. I have about 1/2” of clearance around the air cleaners.
Jim
Thanks Jim. Yea I was thinking of your car when I was trying to get the hoses to fit. Was going to drill new holes and do something similar to yours. Except move the holes closer to the blower motor. Can't really run my hoses down the intake, my fuel line runs on that side of carb . Found these hoses and worked well enough for me.

So 1/2 around air cleaner works? That's awesome! I was thinking I would need 1.5" +. Now I can do like .75" and have room for some trim around it. Thank you,

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Caveman49 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 9:00 pm
Looking real good Lou, the heat shrink makes it nice and clean, how does it hold up?
Thanks Lee. I bought the better heat shrink so I hope it holds up. But don't really know for sure. But it is easier than painting and I don't think it will chip like paint does.

Lou

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It all looks great, Lou! 8) Very creative use of heat shrink. I've only used it for electrical projects, but it can obviously be used for lots of stuff if you think outside the box. :lol:

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:26 pm
It all looks great, Lou! 8) Very creative use of heat shrink. I've only used it for electrical projects, but it can obviously be used for lots of stuff if you think outside the box. :lol:

Jim
Thanks Jim.

Yea once you think of heat shrink as a universal covering it opens up many uses. Started with the lanyards, but have found a few other uses for it on my build!

Also took your advice on the screen for the rad, kept thinking of what you said and decided not to use it. Maybe later after I see what temp she runs at. But for now put it on a shelf

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 7:05 pm

Yea once you think of heat shrink as a universal covering it opens up many uses. Started with the lanyards, but have found a few other uses for it on my build!

Lou
I'm surprised you didn't cover the whole lanyard,,,or at least up past the part that looks to be rubbing on the hood trim. :?

btw, did you use sealer in the windshield rubber? if so in each of the prior attempts ? thinking I may set it in dry at first just to see if the bottom will have any trouble like yours. only ones I ever did were trucks & we never put any sealer in there.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 8:19 pm
I'm surprised you didn't cover the whole lanyard,,,or at least up past the part that looks to be rubbing on the hood trim. :?

btw, did you use sealer in the windshield rubber? if so in each of the prior attempts ? thinking I may set it in dry at first just to see if the bottom will have any trouble like yours. only ones I ever did were trucks & we never put any sealer in there.
The lanyards have a clear rubber type coating over the cable already. No I didn't use any sealer on the windshield, never used sealer on the trucks neither.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Been trying to finish up the cooling system, and some detail stuff on engine.

Went back and forth on shrouds. Finally ended up getting the original metal type, with the appropriate brackets. When I test fitted everything there was a gap between the shroud and rad at the top that I wasn't happy with.

Decided to make a filler piece to seal gap up and hopefully pull more air thru rad. I used rubber to seal it, actually commercial rubber floor coving. Cut it to fit and used staples and a little weatherstrip adhesive to attach to shroud.

When done it seals it pretty nice. And doesn't look out of place.

When I installed rad in car I also had a gap between front of rad and rad support.

Used the same procedure, rubber, adhesive, and a few staples. Sealed the gap and it matches the shroud seal.

Got the fuel line mounted to block, started mounting heater hoses to pass side apron. Got to finish up rad hoses and some small stuff, the should be able to fire it up . Couple picts of how engine looks so far. Will paint the next oil filter black so it blends in.

Lou

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Looking real good Lou. Nice work on the rad, blends great, and should function well. Like the stance!
Motor Safe,
Lee

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Lee,

Hoping it helps, don't want cooling issues!

Lou

comethead

Post by comethead »

Dang Lou your car and details are flippin’ amazing!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

comethead wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 1:59 am
Dang Lou your car and details are flippin’ amazing!

Joe
Thanks Joe....having a lot of fun with it.

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

You are a unique person in that you have detailitis but still get stuff done.
Great work!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:20 pm
You are a unique person in that you have detailitis but still get stuff done.
Great work!
Thanks Fred.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Darn, Lou! Getting close to the finish line and looking much better than new :D
I'm anxious for you, looking @@ that signature pic!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi