PSA: '65 Speedometer Grommet/Seal/Insulator (C6TZ-17261)

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

PSA: '65 Speedometer Grommet/Seal/Insulator (C6TZ-17261)

Post by kevinshi »

Public Service Announcement:

After searching far and wide I was unable to find what seemed like the right seal to use on my 65 Caliente for the the speedometer cable at the firewall. As far as I can tell there are no grommets available for the 65 Mustang (much less Comet/Falcon). There are grommets made for the 67+ Mustang but not, from what I have found, 1965.

I did however stumble on a the below product image for a 1965 Mustang Speedometer Cable assembly that is offered by Virginia Classic Mustang. You will note that a seal has been pre-installed.

For my '65 Caliente I have successfully installed (more or less) the speedometer firewall seal that suppliers have widely tagged for use with the 66-77 Bronco, and the 66-72 F-100/250/350, which is commonly listed as part C6TZ-17261 (such as here).

I suspect one of you know what was originally used at that location. I vaguely remember there being this kind of seal on my cable when I remoeved it ages ago (it was very deteriorated - crumbling apart as I pulled the cable). The Mercury and Ford (Falcon) Car Master Parts Catalogs do not list a part number entry for 17261.

FWIW the Bronco/Truck seal works nicely on my car and seems like a reasonable facsimile of the one used on the VCM assembly. I had to split it (like a hot dog bun) because I don't have the tools to remove/refit one of the terminals (which are too big to pass through the grommet on their own). But when installed that split is compressed back together quite firmly.

Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

comethead

Re: PSA: '65 Speedometer Grommet/Seal/Insulator (C6TZ-17261)

Post by comethead »

Thanks Kevin!
When I replaced my C4 speedo cable for a 4 speed Toploader cable (longer) I re-used the original foam cylindrical seal like the one pictured. I too had to slice it open to fit it over the reproduction cable.
Appreciate all the research you’re doing and posting here for future reference

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed