Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:18 pm

Trying right now to get a young fellow here to put my right rear tire back on the Comet, it is sitting up under there my wife wanted to put it back on but she lacks the steam to lift it up, and I don't think
I can get down there and I only have one fully functioning arm right now :? I havent checked a price yet but was wondering if a pair of Procar seats would be cheaper? they have a sub $400 seat
See Ya,
Mike
Mike I have a sawed off shovel that I use to get tires on. like a lever with a built in fulcrum. I have learned how to make it go left or right & of course up & down . it works best when I have the car so the tire doesn't have to come up very far to get on the lugs.

The procar seats I put in my 76 truck sit a whole lot better than my comet buckets.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:36 pm
lavron wrote:

Trying right now to get a young fellow here to put my right rear tire back on the Comet, it is sitting up under there my wife wanted to put it back on but she lacks the steam to lift it up, and I don't think
I can get down there and I only have one fully functioning arm right now :? I havent checked a price yet but was wondering if a pair of Procar seats would be cheaper? they have a sub $400 seat
See Ya,
Mike
Mike I have a sawed off shovel that I use to get tires on. like a lever with a built in fulcrum. I have learned how to make it go left or right & of course up & down . it works best when I have the car so the tire doesn't have to come up very far to get on the lugs.

The procar seats I put in my 76 truck sit a whole lot better than my comet buckets.
Thanks I will give the shovel trick a try, will let you all know how that turns out
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

lavron wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:30 am
poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:36 pm
lavron wrote:

See Ya,
Mike

Thanks I will give the shovel trick a try, will let you all know how that turns out
I did not have to do the shovel thing but will file that tidbit away for a future time. one of my neighbors stopped by and offered to put the tire on, which he did. now i have all 4 tires on the Comet 8) still need to take it off the jackstands but might leave it raised for now in case I can get out there and do some block sanding therapy :?
SeeYa,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

OK here is what happened the last few days after selling the Tracker. Ordered an OPtima battery from Oreillys ( thanks for the links AFX, it is supposed to be here Tuesday, I am pretty sure it will fit ok, if not I swill make the required modifications to make it fit :roll: I tried to order some paINT FROM EASTWOOD BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME I could not get it to check out so I ordered from Summit instead, it was actually a littlde cheaper ad I already have th epoxy primer from Sumit as well, Have to check and see if I have thier filler primer :P

My goal right now is to finish the area under the rear bumper so I can bolt it back on and then get the filler panel under the front bumper finished as well so I can get that done too and get the front bumper on the car and clear some storage space in the shed 8) and get front turn signals installed Have to see how I hold out :?

looking at the scoops Comethead posted a link too [urlhttp://up22.com/scoopw3.htm[/url] PR 51 says for an early Mustang 65-66 so maybe my hood will has a similar profile I have to go out and measue to make sure it is tall enough to clear the current carb The triples will be lower so if this one will cove the other r the others should work fine as long as there is enough length I like this one is lower profile.Too low profile need 5" to cover current carb

Ssee Ya,
Mike

Thought I would update this with how the battery mounted in there
I have a plstic tray mounted to the left side of my trunk in front ( I know for weight it should be back and on the right but I will have a removable panel on front of the trunk (firewall)and no back seat so the battery will remove to the inside of the car. I tuned the battery so the terminals faced forward ro keep it low enough profile to slid under the air tank hanging below the rear package tray ,it fit good, the blue thing you see just in front of the battery is the 200-250AMP circuit breaker. I still need to get the battery tender hooked back up so the trickle charger can have the battery to specs all the time ready to fire this fine lady up at will :lol:
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'm getting the feeling there will be another Comet on the
road this summer,,,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

If physically I can do what the mind wants me to :lol: alot of trouble getting up and down right now I was able to crawl up and down before might be able to get down getting back up is the issue :lol:

I hope eveyrhing goes my way so if I post some mundane little things they are still victories :wink:
I wnt my Comet on the road so bad even if I only get to ride shotgun for now (hopdefully not too long, it was built to fit me 8) When I sit in the seat, the pedals are in perfect placement and the shifter falls right in my hand :wink: doesnt mean others cant drive it , there are adjustments but may not be a perfect fit for anyone else :roll: Time again to say I am going to look for some cheap windshield and rear window rubber seals so I can at least get the windows in temporarily
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

https://youtu.be/fcSjTxPm[url https://youtu.be/fcSjTxPm-m8][/url] my. Uncle came up and helped me get. The. comet down on the floor and put the new Optima red top battery in, fit like it was made to go there so no mods required.
I had a lot of confidence around she would fire off my wife was filming I was in the drivers seat and my uncle stood by :o Will my wife give. A thumbs up? Will the mighty six roar to life?watch the video to find out! Will post later on what battery I bought

Checked the clearance while I was out there on the current air cleaner and I may need a 5” tall scoop. To clear it :shock: I guess 5” not as tall.as I thought

see Ya,
mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Today was actually a work day. On the Comet. A bit short however. With heat index near 100 I did get the left Frankenpatch welds ground with a 120 grit flap wheel and a thin layer of bondoglass applied and cheese grated before it got entirely too hot, doesn’t look too bad s0 far, pictures will be forthcoming as soon as I process them, my phone ran out of juice before the final pics of course :roll: but ready now for a thin coat of polyester filler and a bit more sanding when the weather permits may not be much but I feel pretty good to get something done no matter how small :wink: :wink: :wink:
see Ya,
mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Dr. Frankenstein, it's ALIVE!!! :D
Sounds like some condensation from the temp changes but I know you're happy to fire her up again. Little things are big victories to me. Any accomplishment is well noted and appreciated. Keep on keeping on!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Progress is progress! :wink:

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

When we were out yesterday (Saturday) my wife decided to air that right rear tire up and then took the time to soap around all the suspected leak spots(on her own) found out the valve stem was. Leaking where it bolts through the wheel. So that will need addressed. My wife just might become a good hand in the shed if she keeps this up :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

grab the stem and try to twist and pull it...might be able help seat it better....might work might not...then re soap it
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Not the best video but maybe you can tell what is going on[url]https://youtu.be/1spfBRq4vG8/[url]
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well I'm not quite sure what is happening there but my guess is your keeping your wife company while she cleans up your work area,,,,lol :mrgreen:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Off topic, Mike but I found that pic of Grandpa Bob's 1918 Model T Touring for ya. Here he is with his pipe in mouth. Puffed on that thing until he was 92. Didn't stop tinkering until he was 90. I must have gotten the monkey wrench/ pipe smoker gene from him :wink:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi