Brighter Headlights Relay System

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
albert

Brighter Headlights Relay System

Post by albert »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-MERCURY-CO ... 1321000909

Has anyone evaluated this system or bought it. What other alternatives have you used to get brighter headlights or upgrade to newer brighter headlights. As I age I do not like driving at night and the factory wiring with halogen sealed beams is not good enough. Appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Comechero65

Re: Brighter Headlights Relay System

Post by Comechero65 »

Fancy setup on ebay, does that guy Ray still have his comet? The relay setup would surely work and makes headlights so much brighter and takes the load of the headlight sw.

I built my own relay setup and it works great. Included a horn relay in my design since ford did away with that relay.
Ron

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Albert you can add your own relay(s) and use thicker gauge wire, which as Ron said takes the load off the HL Switch. Also give you brighter headlights and the capabilities to run higher wattage bulbs without worrying about the HL switch.

Ron you using one relay or two for the headlights?

I haven't got to the wiring on mine yet but plan on using relay(s) and heavier gauge wire for the headlights. Not sure if I am going to use one relay before the dimmer switch or two after the dimmer switch. Depends on what the dimmer switch can handle. Haven't really looked into it that far yet.

Anyone here know what a factory floor dimmer switch is rated for?

Lou

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I have had Halogen headlights on my Comet for as long as they have been out,never any issues!! Before anyone says they only get used a short time,they have been used for hours of night driving!! I also had them on older FoMoCo trucks,never any issues!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I have had Halogen headlights on my Comet for as long as they have been out,never any issues!! Before anyone says they only get used a short time,they have been used for hours of night driving!! I also had them on older FoMoCo trucks,never any issues!!! ROY.
A lot of people run Halogens in old cars without issues! Usually when they have problems the circuit breaker in the headlight switch is weak or going bad. Then after awhile the headlights start flashing on and off when circuit breaker heats up. But with a good switch they will work.

But on our old cars a lot of time the headlights don't get full voltage, wiring, design, switch, etc. drops voltage. Lower voltage headlights not as bright. TO test take a voltmeter and check what the headlights are getting. Leave the headlights connected and turn the high beams on, with a voltmeter check high beam feed wire on the back of the bulb to see what the volts are. Then compare it to readings at battery or alt. Check at idle and higher rpm. If it is the same then relays prob won't help. But if it is lower, and most are then the relays will help and your light will be brighter with relays.

I would like to run one relay and put it in front of dimmer switch. Headlight switch triggers relay and dimmer gets batt feed/voltage. Not sure if this will work as well as two relays after the dimmer, one for high and one for low. But I don't want any wiring in engine compartment, or as little as possible. So I will run the wires for headlights, front turn signal and parking lights from inside car to front inside each fender. Wires for left side in left fender and wires for right side inside right fender. And feel one relay in front of dimmer would make it a little simpler. Will prob wire it with one then test it. If doesn't test well then change it to two.

Lou

Lou

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDi ... 5faca6bf6b

Here is a very bright option. I went with this and am very pleased. And the led should be a low enough draw the factory wiring should be fine.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:Albert you can add your own relay(s) and use thicker gauge wire, which as Ron said takes the load off the HL Switch. Also give you brighter headlights and the capabilities to run higher wattage bulbs without worrying about the HL switch.
Ron you using one relay or two for the headlights?
I haven't got to the wiring on mine yet but plan on using relay(s) and heavier gauge wire for the headlights. Not sure if I am going to use one relay before the dimmer switch or two after the dimmer switch. Depends on what the dimmer switch can handle. Haven't really looked into it that far yet.
Anyone here know what a factory floor dimmer switch is rated for?
Lou
I use two relays one for Hi and one for Lo. My headlamps are halogen but don't use any more wattage than the old bulbs.
Dimmer sw probably not rated for much more than 4 lamps. That's why it gets hot and burns out.

Here's mine headlight relays and horn relay i added.
Ron

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

albert wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-MERCURY-CO ... 1321000909

Has anyone evaluated this system or bought it. What other alternatives have you used to get brighter headlights or upgrade to newer brighter headlights. As I age I do not like driving at night and the factory wiring with halogen sealed beams is not good enough. Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Looked at it a little closer. Not bad, like how they have separate output feeds for the left and right sides. Also nice they have the complete harness from the relays to the bulbs including grounds and light sockets. Would like to see 12 ga instead of 14 ga used for the harness. I think it would work ok and looks like easy install. Can't see in the box to see how it is wired or fused tho. I feel it is a little pricey, But feel you are paying more for the ease of installation. I also feel you could do it better on your own cheaper. But would take a little more work installing it.

I like the RIK-4 Kit, about halfway down the page.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/prod ... ducts.html

The relays in this kit have dual output terminals ( 2 #87 terminals ) so left and right lights would have separate feeds from the relays. Kit comes pretty complete with everything (they "say" extreme duty parts) except the wire. I would use this kit with 10ga feeding the relays, ( separate feed wires for each relay with fuse for each) and 12 ga going from relays to the lights. I think you would see a definite improvement in the halogens you have now.

You also want to run heavier ga grounds with the new wiring, 12 ga.

If wiring the setup seems like too much, I could draw you a schematic for the setup to make it easier

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Comechero65 wrote: I use two relays one for Hi and one for Lo. My headlamps are halogen but don't use any more wattage than the old bulbs.
Dimmer sw probably not rated for much more than 4 lamps. That's why it gets hot and burns out.

Ron
I agree with the dimmer being questionable. I found relays with two output terminals on them, so that will help me with running separate wires for each side. I will just use two relays after the dimmer switch to be safe.

Ron you got a nice setup there. Very clean installation. Not a fan of 1 feed wire and 1 fuse for 3 relays. But you did a very nice job with it.

Lou

albert

Post by albert »

Thanks for all the suggestions they are great. I am trying to keep the Comet engine bay looking as clean as possible and somewhat stock looking so I don't want additional wires and relay boxes exposed. That's why I liked this unit because it is such a clean and easy installation but the other suggestions are certainly cheaper and would work nicely as well. Thanks again
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I used an old reg enclosure to install my relays. This is what the enclosure looks like with the cover off.
R :D n

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Comechero65 wrote:I used an old reg enclosure to install my relays. This is what the enclosure looks like with the cover off.
R :D n
That's just down right cool!! Love it!

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ron your attention to understated detail is amazing!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

SASSY wrote:Ron your attention to understated detail is amazing!
Thanks Fred. That's just the way I do things. If i'm doing something I do it right.
Ron

albert

Post by albert »

Now Ron, that is clean and looks factory................you should sell those on e bay and make some $$$