San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
RideAndShoot

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks Jim. Yeah, moving and then after moving bought a house and moved again took over. House always needs work and that took priority. Happy to be back at it. I think I fixed the image issue, if not let me know.

I worked on the passenger side corner cap all morning and got it dialed in and ready to mount too! I had cut the inner parts on the band saw yesterday. Just filing, sanding, and polishing today.

Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome Back!
Love the parkin lights. Something I thought of many times but just never did it.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea wondered what happened to you. I believe that's a 50 shoe box ford hood ornament. cool signals ! & all the other mods are too! :D
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks Sassy and Johno! Johno, you’re absolutely right! That makes it easy to find a new piece of lucite now, thanks!

I bought one of those stupid LED under dash lighting things from Amazon because I wanted just a little part of the LED adjustable lighting strip. I always planned on mounting it under the lucite to make it glow. Well I got that handled and wired up this afternoon after finishing the passenger corner cap. It came out awesome and glows like crazy! I can change it to any color, or have it fade through colors too!

https://i.imgur.com/7BrDMk1.mp4
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I kinda like the cracks in it with the light on! especially the blue color they stand out better! :D
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Cracked is fine for now, but I’d like to see what a new piece looks like in there. At least I’ll have both then. Lol.

Got the grill sanded up, polished, and clear coated. Got it mounted back on the car and got to it with the new corner caps. Super stoked on how it’s coming along.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Original owner had brushed on primer(rust brown) onto the roof, then I rattlecanned in primer black. It was a really lumpy and stripey texture from the brush. I spend quite a bit of time this week sanding it down as flat as I know how. I hate bodywork. It’s boring and I don’t have the patience. But I some Satin Black sprayed on last night. Looks 10 times better than it did. This is the best pic I could get with the rain today. Pretty happy with it for a long-term temporary paint job. Also got the windshield trim on. I found a second set of the corner caps on eBay, so I’m cutting one set up to make them fit the bottom corner so all 4 window corners will match.

I’ll try to get some better pics of the roof if we have some nice weather over the weekend. Gotta start on the rear glass trim too.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Well, got some more tasks done. My turn signal switch in the steering column had a nub broken off. So when I used my right blinker, I had to hold the turn signal stalk up into position the whole time. Replaced that tonight. Also got some more done on the windshield trim, as well as started on the passenger windows trim. Because it stretched the door frames when I chopped it, I knew I’d have to stretch the trim. I got it cut and fitted together, with the filler piece snapped snuggly in place. Just have to TIG it together. I’m not great at TIG, especially stainless to I’ll have to do some practice on the scrap trim first before diving into that part.

Also got some sanding blocks and paper so I can start getting some bondo on all the body trim and door handles I shaved off.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

More progress tonight. Since I’m shaving everything, there will be no keyhole for the trunk. I have a safety cable that is ran into the the car which is how I’ve been popping the trunk, until today. I fitted the bracket for the solenoid and used rivnuts to secure it to the trunk lid. Attached the pull cable, and wired up the switch. Decided on putting the switch in my glovebox. I let the safety cable still attached in case the solenoid ever goes bad I can still access the trunk. I’ll be using it a lot after I relocate my gas fill into the trunk. Works well and pops solid!

https://i.imgur.com/elR1mmR.mp4

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Alright, I’d appreciate some input from y’all. I’ve been kicking around the idea of a winshield sub visor for a long time. I whipped this mock-up up out of Masonite to get an idea of the look. It takes away from the sleekness of it a bit, but I think it adds some style for sure. I would roll the leading edge over, and probably weld 1/8”-1/4” round bar around the back edge and make some rain gutter brackets. I’d probably end up doing a swoopy and pointy stainless trim piece for the center of it. It think it adds some lowrider vibes, while still looking like it might be a factory option. Thoughts?

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

It's got the Aussie look for sure.
I think the front of it needs to be lower, it'll cut the sun more and the wind less.
Be cool on your car!
Edit
Built it strong or the first time on the freeway,,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea seems to fit. :D I'm with Fred on needs to be a little lower & straight/flat in the center,like the lower window trim. maybe a little tad more wrap around the sides.
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks guys! I haven’t started making the visor yet, but I’ll definitely play around with more lean.

Got some more progress done too. I got the drivers side window trim fit and mounted. I also got the rear window trim cut and fit.

I made templates for the new side windows for the passenger side. I got the window tracks working, but they’ll need some more tweaking and adjusting. I want to try and adjust the rear cranks so that the back side windows go all the way down. Though I don’t know if that will be possible, I gotta try!

Also took the fam to a little car show over the weekend. Good times.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Driver’s side wing window/window track chopped, trimmed, and fitted. Wing window functions as it should, and track is parallel to door. Wing window template from passenger side fits the driver’s side, so I must’ve measured pretty darn close!

Anyone have a good resource for all the window rubber/felt/fuzzies/weatherstripping? I’m going to check out Summit Racing tomorrow to see if they have what I need. I need the vertical weatherstripping to verify the windows will track properly, and roll up and down smoothly.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lookin good!
Melvin's for the parts. I'll get a link later if no one else does.