San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
SASSY

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by SASSY »

I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks for the link! Got some stuff on the way now!
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

I got my window weatherstripping in, and I also picked up the window divider channels, although I haven’t fit those in yet. Still have to do some bracing and brackets for the two front windows, but I have them on their tracks and functioning with temporary plexiglass. The original mounting holes on the doors were dished, and since the hole was moving I had to massage that out flat for the new holes. Moved the metal with a big ball peen and finished with a handheld planishing hammer to get it flat. Also cut and welded one of the A pillar caps smoothed it and painted it and it’ll look factory when tossed back in.

Image I realize it doesn’t look flat, but it is!

https://i.imgur.com/iKuemWZ.mp4
Video of the passenger window working.

https://i.imgur.com/fN4YKYy.mp4
Video of driver window working.

I still have to work on getting the back windows to track correctly. They want to “walk” on my a bit. I was hoping they could lower too, but I think I’ll need to make a new channel but the bottom of the X scissor channel to ride in longer for that to happen. And cut off the limiting pin. Just gotta play around and see what’ll happen.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

She was running pretty rough, so I decided to pull apart the carb and clean it. When I got into it, I saw all kinds of mistakes. The electric heater choke was disassembled and laying loose inside its housing. There were hammer and chisel marks inside the carb. There was RTV or gasket maker used in conjunction with a paper gasket to the intake manifold heater/spacer.

I ordered a new Autolite 1100 off eBay, and bolted it in with a fresh gasket. I was amazed. She has always comfortably cruised at 60-65mph on the highway. On a downhill maybe up to 70mph, but that’s it. She’d be screaming mad at that speed too. I chocked it up to it being an I6, and 60 years old. But wow, with the new carb she gets up and goes. I cruised around with her well over 70mph, and even took her all the way up to 85mph. What a massive difference. And that’s just with a little 1 barrel. Haha. Nice to see her awake and alive!

I’ll pull the plugs and read them, and got to do a little bit of fine tuning, but overall she is a much happier car now. She was “running well” when I got her, so I thought that was just the status quo. Boy was I wrong. Haha.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Good to read you have it running great and the windows! Nice detail finishing.
Have you thought anymore on the visor?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

R&S,
Great to hear that your carb work greatly improved your Comet performance! Looking forward to do similar to mine.
Your work has transformed that car! I like it!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks y’all!

I’m definitely going to make a visor and then decide whether or not I want to run it. I’m digging out my metal shaping tools(mostly harbor freight stuff) so that I’m ready to give it a shot!