64 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: 64 Comet Build

Post by popscomet »

WE put ol rusty on the lift last night,checked everything to see if all held up,and it did !! looked great,,DWAYNE said it steered good and was smooth going down the track,,,so as of right now,weather permitting it'll go back a week from this sat.when they reopen ,track is taken this sat off,,,,POP is thinking about takeing my red comet so we can get a picture of both side by side raceing to the finish line ,if I can get someone to snap a couple of pictures .... 8) this will be the only time I plan on takeing the red one,,,if the bug bites POP,,I;ve got my 1984 mercury capri 5.0 5spd,,that I have ran up there yrs ago...it's just been in moth balls for years,,,so if the itch happens,,,I can scratch it 8) :shock: pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the new coil over springs came in yesterday,,so tomorrow we'll swap them out,,they are not as stiff as the old ones,,hopeing for better weight transfer on take off...time to whittle on this thing,,,pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

springs all changed,,gonna piddle with it this week,,,hopeing to get to the track next sat...watched the long term weather forecast for next sat..right now it's pointing toward 70 degrees,,,but this is ARK,,it might snow it out or rain it out,,you just never know here.....undependable !!!!....like a blue tick hound I had,,,when it barked I didn't know if it was on a deer scent or a raccoon or chaseing a chevy truck,,he was crazy as our weather can be.................pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:41 am
it might snow it out or rain it out,,you just never know here
Or do both on the same day :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Yep, looks like couple more decent days for putting miles on Sassy then the rain is setting in. Working next week so today is the day!
Looking forward to a pic of the two 64s at the line.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we took OL RUSTY back to the drag races today,,,for the 2nd time,,,was faster,,8.17 in the 1/8th,,10.40 102mph in the 1,000ft ,,,we will keep chipping away at it makeing minor adjustments and changes as we go,,,alittle at a time til we get all out of it the old thing has to offer up...so far we ain't hurt it ,,,OL POP,, was going to take the red comet also,,but the other night we found a bad frt brk whl cyl and it wouldn't take a honeing and a rebuild,,,so it stayed at home ,,,one day LORD willing,,both 64's will go and we can get a picture of both side by side takeing off at the tree,,,,pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DWAYNE, was looking back thru the time slips from sat and found one where ol rusty turned a 10.37 that was overlooked,,so we done better then we thought in a 1,000 ft....we are in the right direction...time ,pratice and alittle tuneing,,,the old car has it,,we just got get it out of it.......pop
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

A few videos from last test n tune last Saturday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5SxaaG ... EgPom-Hp-j

10-24 Timeslip.jpg
10-24 Timeslip.jpg (95.35 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
11-7 timeslip.jpg
11-7 timeslip.jpg (96.01 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks for the update and the videos! 8)

Old Rusty reminds me of my old Cyclone but he's faster.
Mine was rusty Dark Metallic Turquoise from Port Neches, Tx.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Son and I are going to do something we are not guilty of doing before,,,we had a race built C4 reverse valve body shipped in today,,I went and picked it up at a friends race car shop today,,,,,we are takeing the 4 spd out of ol rusty,,gonna feel odd as always before a AT was taken out and a 4spd went in,,,,stall converter and shifter bell houseing be here in a day or 3.........hope we like it......pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

popscomet wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:57 am
Son and I are going to do something we are not guilty of doing before,,,we had a race built C4 reverse valve body shipped in today,,I went and picked it up at a friends race car shop today,,,,,we are takeing the 4 spd out of ol rusty,,gonna feel odd as always before a AT was taken out and a 4spd went in,,,,stall converter and shifter bell houseing be here in a day or 3.........hope we like it......pop
You gotta do what you gotta do Pops. Ain’t nothing wrong with a built C4.
Man that 64 sounds badass going down the track! Music to my ears. Watched the vids 20 times haha. And the old worn out paint just looks right :wink:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:57 am
,,,stall converter and shifter bell houseing be here in a day or 3.........hope we like it...
What stall converter and shifter did you pick, Pop?
I'm sure ya'll like it. Not a 4 speed but faster times.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

The Performance Automatic transmission came in Wednesday and their SFI rated bellhousing arrived Thursday. Gonna go with a Winters Performance shifter "gated" for the reverse manual valve body. I've sent the required information to 3 different converter manufactures that we deal with and just waiting on what they say about converter diameter and stall speed.
PA_C4-1.jpg
PA_C4-1.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
PA_C4-2.jpg
PA_C4-2.jpg (21.09 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A good friend back home, Steven runs a C4 in a 64 Falcon behind a 377W, runs 10s all day, street drives it a lot. I think you guys are gonna enjoy this combo!
Ya, the third pedal,,,, ah just try it up against the firewall for now! Lol
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YEA !! we'll enjoy it,am sure....it's just a different thing for us to do,,,,pop
pop/glenda