65 Comet with 390

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
loman

Re: 65 Comet with 390

Post by loman »

Received dual quad intake on Friday. Not a bolt on situation. Things don't line up correctly. Unable to take pictures with phone, but I'll try to explain later and see if I can figure another way to get some pics.

loman

Post by loman »

here is the intake with a couple of junk carbs sitting on it for mock up. My issue is with intake is that the valve cover rails don't line up with the valve cover rails on the heads when the intake gaskets are installed. We finally removed all gaskets and set intake on motor with no gaskets and then the rails were close. So I am trying to get some custom intake gaskets made that are thinner than the 2 pairs I currently have. We also milled .020 off the intake already trying to fix the issue.
Attachments
dual carbs 3.jpg
dual carbs 3.jpg (89.11 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
dual carbs 2.jpg
dual carbs 2.jpg (81.87 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Last edited by loman on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

That's a hoss mill! 8)
Thicker head gaskets ta boot to get it matched? Shouldn't lose too much compression there.
Nice intake and heads, getting that weight off the front end. Hurts my back thinking about pulling that iron intake :(

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:44 am
Hurts my back thinking about pulling that iron intake :(

JT
Not mine ,I dont even think like that anymore,that's a job for the hoist ,,, bout like a 4cyl motor. :wink:

That's gonna be bad ass Loman!!!
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

loman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:49 am
here is the intake with a couple of junk carbs sitting on it for mock up. My issue is with intake is that the valve cover rails don't line up with the valve cover rails on the heads when the intake gaskets are installed. We finally removed all gaskets and set intake on motor without any gaskets and then the rails were close. So I am trying to get some custom intake gaskets made that are thinner than the 2 pairs I currently have. We also milled .020 off the intake already trying to fix the issue.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:38 am
Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:44 am
Hurts my back thinking about pulling that iron intake :(
Not mine ,I dont even think like that anymore,that's a job for the hoist ,,, bout like a 4cyl motor. :wink:
Dropped a 390 & C-6 in the back of a old Bronco. Looked like that coon-hunting gasser in the other thread :shock: :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CI intake weigh in at 95 lbs,,,best I recall.........2x4 set up always look good,,,,pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:38 pm
CI intake weigh in at 95 lbs,,,best I recall........
Swapped intakes on 2 FEs. Considered a swap on #3 but I backed down, said to heck with this. :?
Sold that heavy sucker.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

loman

Post by loman »

Got the headliner installed Friday night with the help from a friend. Has a couple wrinkles but he said they should come out with a hair dryer and some time. I forgot to buy the vinyl windlace so I'll get that on order in the next couple of days. Glass guy is scheduled for Wednesday to install new windshield and reinstall the back glass.
Attachments
headliner 2.jpg
headliner 2.jpg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
headliner 1.jpg
headliner 1.jpg (86.56 KiB) Viewed 3205 times

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

loman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:26 am
Got the headliner installed Friday night with the help from a friend. Has a couple wrinkles but he said they should come out with a hair dryer and some time. I forgot to buy the vinyl windlace so I'll get that on order in the next couple of days. Glass guy is scheduled for Wednesday to install new windshield and reinstall the back glass.
I installed the headliner by myself in the blue 65 post car I built. I had vinyl dyed it to match my interior and when I stretched it out I had to hand brush all the seams with color laying on my back. That headliner install took me a week--------------The upholstery shop will get to install the one in the cyclone.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

loman

Post by loman »

Finally got the intake where I think I can live with it. The thinner intake manifold gaskets were a good idea. The passenger side valve cover rail is even and the drivers side is a hair off but the valve cover gasket should seal it. My next big issue was with the pushrods rubbing on the holes in the intake manifold. Especially on cylinder 3 and 6. My buddy milled some out of each pushrod hole when he was milling the intake mounting face. I still had to to do a lot of sanding but I finally got about .020 clearance on each pushrod. Each pushrod is close to the intake runner so I was worried about taking to much out but I think i finally got it. In true fashion of my expertise, my official measuring tool was a piece of cardboard from a 30 pack of Natty Light. It measured .020 thick. I would cut a piece of cardboard and curl it around a pushrod and use it to see if I could push it all the way through the pushrod hole. When I started there were several that I could only get the cardboard down in the hole about 80 -90% of the way. After some sanding of the holes I finally got the .020 cardboard through. I'll do one more final check on final reassembly and hopefully call it good.
Attachments
pushrod.jpg
pushrod.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
pushrods 2.jpg
pushrods 2.jpg (70.59 KiB) Viewed 3162 times

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

what brand name is this intake ?????..............thanks POP
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:29 am
what brand name is this intake ?????..............thanks POP
Looks like a factory 427 tunnel port :shock:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

loman

Post by loman »

Pop, it's a BBM intake on trick flow heads. I ordered the truck flow intake back in December from summit. Around feb or March my order got cancelled. Called them and trick flow and was told they didn't have any in stock and couldn't tell me when they would because casting plants were behind schedule so they cancelled order. The trick flow intake isn't even on summits website anymore. So I scrambled and bought the bbm intake and now trying to make it work. Because of all this I won't be ready for first NSA race of season. Oh well, good thing I have another car and it's faster😀

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

back in the 90's my son ordered a pair of trick flow heads for his 5.0 mustang...had more problems out of those heads,,trick flow finaly bought them back,,,they had a batch of heads that were bad...he bought a pair of edelbrocks and never looked back,,,,,this was on a 94 GT,,,it was featured in the mustang monthly magazine yrs ago....this very mustang is sitting here at POP's shop today,,,,,,good luck ,,,POP
pop/glenda