‘64 Cyclone update

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:Well to do that ya need to get it on the pavement!!!
Hopefully after this rebuild it will never be idle again for very long and I promise to never let it sit again for so long :oops: as long as I am still capable of keeping it running and driving.

Sorry Jim I will let you have your build thread back.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Moving along well. The engine assembly is ready to go into the car. Once that is done I will be able to install the headers, connect the exhaust, install the Holley’s, linkage etc. The core support and inner fender panels can be installed also.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

There's enough room the to install that engine with a tow truck,, wow!
I admit to not knowing much about transmissions but I know that's not a
toploader??
AWESOME, as usual.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I admit to not knowing much about transmissions but I know that's not a
toploader??.
Fred[/quote]

The trans is an original ‘64 Comet Borg Warner T-10. I had it completely rebuilt by an expert, I’m using an Ansen scatter shield, and a Ram long style pressure plate and clutch. This is the same basic combination that was in the car back in the 70’s.
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A/FX wrote: The trans is an original ‘64 Comet Borg Warner T-10.
Jim
Well, that's what would have been in mine, but I only ever seen it once,,, when I took out along with the rest of the stock driveline in '75 getting ready for the 351C, toploader.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I thought it might be a good time for an update on my Comet since most of us are hibernating and hoping for this international crisis to pass. I am spending more time in the shop working on the car.
I have the drivetrain completely installed and plumbed. The linkage and choke cable are installed on the carbs, and I have most of the engine wiring installed except the distributor. ( I have a dummy distributor temporarily installed) The fuse panel is mounted in the glove box, I fabricated a steel liner to mount the panel replacing the factory cardboard piece. The wiring is somewhat of a challenge because I have installed raceways to run the wires instead of how the factory did it with connectors on the firewall, and I have most of the accessories and the ignition system running through relays mounted under the dashboard. I have tried to not have any wires visible in the engine area, they are there but not obvious. The wiring for the headlights runs through a tube inside the right front fender to the radiator core support, the tail light wiring, fuel sender, trunk release,brake/ turn signals runs through the left rocker area under the door to the trunk. To make the wiring installation easier I have not installed the Hurst shifter or any of the interior pieces, although all the pieces are finished and ready when the time comes. The radiator core support has not been installed yet mostly because it would just be in the way, once the rest of the wiring is completed I will install the support then terminate the wires for the headlights, parking lights, and horn. When the support is in place the radiator will be installed, I may leave the front fenders off until the engine is started, this will prevent damage to the fenders if something is not right upon initial start up.
I tried to attach some recent photos but the Postimage site is temporarily down for maintenance, instead here is a link to my build album- newest photos are on the second page.
Jim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kabinenro ... 6464305953

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Parked for 40 years, bet you forgot about it most of the time, maybe when you seen one at a show you thought on it for a moment.
Mine sat for 14 years nothing like yours but I imagine we had similar thoughts.
The build is incredible with your attention to detail and experience in restoration.
As I looked through the pics I wondered,, did he finish it and these pics would lead to a suttle reveal,,,,
Fred

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Amazing! I think that says it all.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It's a joy just to look at it ! :D thanks for sharing !
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Thank You to all who posted positive comments about the build. I have been working in the shop everyday trying to check items off the list, it seems like I am gaining on it. Today I set the car down on all fours for the first time since it was in mock up stage. I did a preliminary adjustment of the front suspension height and found that I will need to raise the rear of the car slightly to compensate for a tank of fuel and the battery. I plan to talk to the spring company next week and see what their recommendations will be.
The next important step will to prepare for the initial start of the engine, one that is done I plan to transport the car to my front end shop for an alignment using their digital equipment.
Until next time....
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:16 pm
I have been working in the shop everyday trying to check items off the list, it seems like I am gaining on it.
Cool I know what you mean about the little things, occasionally I move on before completing some of the little things and say to myself I will catch it later, now later has gotten here and there are a few little things to finish (a few big things too)

Keep up the good work and keep us all updated because you have a super nice Comet that you can be proud of.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

So start up soon! When was the last time you street drove this car?
Just wondering, the radio opening is altered I think. I have a factory delete and it looks different, would you share what you did?
Is thd black tube in the left inner fender going into the rocker wiring to the back?
Looking forward to "in the sun" pics.
Fred

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:20 am
So start up soon! When was the last time you street drove this car?
Just wondering, the radio opening is altered I think. I have a factory delete and it looks different, would you share what you did?
Is thd black tube in the left inner fender going into the rocker wiring to the back?
Looking forward to "in the sun" pics.
Fred
Hello Fred,
The last time I drove the car was in about 1979 or ‘80!! The radio block off plate I fabricated to cover the hole for the factory am/fm radio opening which is completely different compared to the normal am radio face. I have the radio but decided not to use it. ( No way was I going to spoil the look with an antenna) The black tube is for the underdash wiring going to the trunk area, it runs into the rocker panel to the 1/4 window area then into the trunk, the flexible conduit protects the wiring. There is a matching conduit on the R.H. Side that carries the battery cable from the trunk to the starter, I attached a photo that shows the three tubes in the R.H. wheel well area, the bottom tube (hard to see in the photo) is battery, the short tube is engine wiring, the long tube on the top carries all the front lighting and horn wiring.
Thanks for the interest.
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Really like the wire routing ideas, those ideas may very well be copied :mrgreen:
Fred

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:12 pm
Really like the wire routing ideas, those ideas may very well be copied :mrgreen:
Fred
I will be waiting for the “Royalty check”!
Jim