‘64 Cyclone update

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
SASSY

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by SASSY »

Jim, I checked, Megan ain't Royalty no more,,, :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

looks super !!! love that color....we used conduit yrs ago on dirt track cars to run fuel lines thru,,,in fact I looked today at my car that was built for me 12yrs ago and the flexible covered conduit is still in it....your gonna have just about the best comet on the forum....that color is perfect...take care and keep up the great work …..pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That's purdy. Looks like what you'd see in an airplane. Seems a shame to cover it up with a fender. :roll:

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking great Jim. Would love to see the car in person. Keep the pictures coming.
tom
tomb's 65

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

tomb22 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:58 am
Looking great Jim. Would love to see the car in person. Keep the pictures coming.
tom
Thanks Tom,
If your in the area of Milwaukee/Racine let me know, your welcome to stop by and get the tour.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

AFXFalcon

Post by AFXFalcon »

Beautifully done! Lots of fabrication in that one.

1964 AFX Falcon 427 FE
1964 Comet Caliente
1965 Comet Cyclone (Dads)
1964 Fairlane T-bolt Tribute (Dads)

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:08 am
It has been a busy couple of weeks. I have finished installing the new quarter glass and power operators, I am waiting for my glass guy to finish cutting the door and wing window glass. The new dash pad has been installed and I have trial fit the door panels and new arm rests. The wiring for the power windows and power door locks is installed from the glove box to the doors. ( the new fuse panel is in the glove box) The complete exhaust system is finally back from the polisher and has been installed.
Today I finished installing the permanent fasteners in the front suspension and installed the brake calipers.
My next project will be to fabricate the new front brake lines, then I will fill the master cylinder and bleed the brakes. I want the braking system fully operational before I install the drivetrain. I also modified the steering wheel horn contacts to work with the Cougar tilt steering column, I tested the horn system with a continuity tester and it works well. The steering wheel itself has been wrapped in leather to match the dash pad.
Here are a few pictures of the progress.
Jim

what brand power windows did you use? need to get a set for my 65. are the rears power aswell or just the front? also, what did you use for power locks? thanks

65clevorcyclone

also, very nice build. It looks amazing!

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

what brand power windows did you use? need to get a set for my 65. are the rears power aswell or just the front? also, what did you use for power locks? thanks
[/quote]

I am using Nu Relics Power window regulators, yes the doors and quarter windows are now power. The regulators bolted right in and the wiring is straight forward, I did install relays so the switches do not have to carry the load of the motors. (My locks, headlights, and fuel pump are also run through relays)
The power locks are from A1 electric, they are Swiss made 5wire actuators.
https://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm
One note about the window operators, the factory stops will not clear the arms of the unit so I had to fabricate new stops, this was no big deal but it did take some time to design them to not interfere with the operators.
If you would like me to post some pictures let me know I will be in the shop tomorrow and can shoot pictures of what you need.
Jim

65clevorcyclone

A/FX wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:04 pm
I am using Nu Relics Power window regulators, yes the doors and quarter windows are now power. The regulators bolted right in and the wiring is straight forward, I did install relays so the switches do not have to carry the load of the motors. (My locks, headlights, and fuel pump are also run through relays)
The power locks are from A1 electric, they are Swiss made 5wire actuators.
https://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm
One note about the window operators, the factory stops will not clear the arms of the unit so I had to fabricate new stops, this was no big deal but it did take some time to design them to not interfere with the operators.
If you would like me to post some pictures let me know I will be in the shop tomorrow and can shoot pictures of what you need.
Jim
[/quote]

Hi Jim, sorry for the late reply. If you have time i would appreciate if you could take some pictures of the window regulators. Thanks.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

65clevorcyclone wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:43 am
A/FX wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Jim
Hi Jim, sorry for the late reply. If you have time i would appreciate if you could take some pictures of the window regulators. Thanks.
[/quote]

Here are a few pictures, I don’t know if they will do you any good because it is very difficult to get good shots of the operators because of the design of the doors. You will be able to see the lower stops I redesigned for the doors, the quarter windows did not need anything special. I do like these operators because they use steel arms like the original, not a “tape” design like some aftermarket power conversions.
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

It has been a while since my last update, I have been diligently working on the Comet almost everyday. Last week we started the engine, after a few issues and adjustments I backed the car out into the daylight. This is the first time since about 1979 that the Comet has moved under its own power, I wanted to test the brakes and clutch before actually driving it. I returned it to the shop and made sure there were no leaks or funny noises, after that I let the car cool so I could pull the plugs and remove the valve covers so I could adjust the valves one more time. The engine idled with 55lbs of oil pressure and the temp never went over 170, the charging system worked fine as did all the lights, Horn, Windows, locks, etc. After the valves were checked I fired it up again and did a preliminary adjustment on the carb’s, I got it to idle well then adjusted the PCV Valve while the vacuum gauge was still installed. Although the front end sheet metal is not installed and the alignment is way out of adjustment I decided to run it down the driveway again. That went well so I took it out on the road and went about 600’ to the end of the road then back to the shop. (I live on a rural road with little traffic) On Monday I will trailer the car to my friends alignment shop so we can adjust the caster, camber, and toe. Later in the week I will install the front fenders, bumper, and hood, that extra weight will no doubt change the alignment and I expect the springs will settle slightly so I will then drive to the alignment shop to recheck all
the settings. The carpet still needs to be cut, sewn, and installed. My interior guy is planning to start on that the week after Father’s Day. He has been able to do the interior with the car in my shop instead of me bringing the car to him which is great for me. After the carpet is finished I will probably have a punch list of small items to take care of before I can say it’s finished. This has been close to a four year project of actual work, and a forty year wait since I last drove the car.
Attached a a few photos, when it’s complete I will post a few more.
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A/FX wrote: Last week we started the engine, after a few issues and adjustments I backed the car out into the daylight. This is the first time since about 1979 that the Comet has moved under its own power
Man thats over 40 years!! Please don't do that again,,,
Many congrats on the first drive
Another Comet moves again!
I looked at the pics too long,,,, have to go clean up the tablet, drueling too much!!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Really nice Jim, not sure there is anything not to like there, you do great work!

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

great work !!!! looks good gonna look better soon.....POP
pop/glenda