Original hipo cyclone

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
1964hipo

Original hipo cyclone

Post by 1964hipo »

Ive seen a lot of debate about whether the hipo 289 was offered in 64, so i thought if anyone is interested i could share some pics of mine. Its still in "as found" condition,but is an authenti factory hipo car.
url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/url]close gas stations near me

1964hipo

Re: Original hipo cyclone

Post by 1964hipo »

Heres a pic of the warranty plate, youll notice the dso is extended out six digits. While any hipo would have had this, an extended dso alone doesnt mean hipo, but just that the car was a special order that went through dso
[url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/ur

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Cool! :D :D

Unfortunately the only way to prove a factory hipo is to have the build sheet to the car ,since all the records were destroyed in a fire . but they were offered in 64. here is a service bulletin;

Johno

marydan1965

Post by marydan1965 »

Always glad to hear and see another Comet HI-Po. Production numbers say 250 for 1964 90 for 1965, I have only seen or heard of 3 or 4 1964's . For 1965 10 or 11 of 15 factory drag cars known to exist, 6 to 10 street cars. THANKS

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

Yeah, theres not tpp many left, where did you get the production number? Ive heard many people say many diferent numbers, but never actually sen anything published

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

Hey POP, im posting this here as i thought this thread was more appropriate, but if your interested, this is an original dealer training manuel from merc in 64 that gives the hipo as an option. I havent seen these pages published anywhere and wasnt sure if youd ever seen this

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Now that you know how , post up some pics of your cars & all the hipo stuff. We'd love to see more of these cars. :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks for the info,POP
pop/glenda

Coldgin

Post by Coldgin »

I am a little confused here. You say your 64 is an original hipo, but your warranty plate shows an engine code K. The Ford documentation states that a 64 hipo will have an engine code D on its warranty plate. I'm just wondering how you have come to the conclusion that your car is an original hipo.

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

well as far as the hipo option goes, i think what your refering to was a tsb using the D code, but ive never heard of any comets actually using that. Both mine just had a K which in itself is normally just a standard 289 4v. Also ive seen one of the original africa ralley cars that was also a K
And bob mannel recorded one other that was also a K. I know mine are because i got them inrestored originally, and have part of the build sheet from one to document. In 65 ive seen A denote a hipo and i had one tht had nothing stamped in the 5th digit, but the window stiker had an A. If you have much intrest in this kind of thing id really reccomend Bob Mannels book, he really took documenting the small block
To a whole new level, and is who i refer to on much of this. But really the only way to prove an original hipo would be the documentation of the build sheet, window sticker or warranty card.

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/u
Pobojo65 sorry but this is the only
Pic i have in my phone, ill be out if town for a few weeks and when i get back ill get some better detailed pics of the hipo only stuff. This motor is from the silver car and the only original pieces on it are the alternator and bracket which youll see are diffeent. Originaly it had the breather in the valve cover, but i switched to an earier timing chain cover because i really wanted to ise these early cobra valve covers, to go with the webers. The distributor is not the original, as i didnt have a good coil for the transistor system when i last ran this, but ive got one now, and going to go back to the transistorized ignition someday.

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

I’m going to be listing these comets for sale in February on eBay
If anyone is interested they can PM me. I moved out of state and the cars are still in storage I’m california so I can’t post anymore pics until then
Thanks
Mike

robib

Post by robib »

Just to add fuel to the fire: The K code 64s were 4V cars, but the 4100 carb used was not the same as that used on a 289 Mustang 4v 289. The Comets used 1.12 carbs (not Hipo carbs) as opposed to the 1.08s used on the Mustangs. Their HP and Torque ratings were also higher.

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

Weren’t those carbs very similar to a big block carb? I can’t remember and all my books are
Packed away, but I think they were pretty close

robib

Post by robib »

I believe the carb was based on one used with a 352.