64 a/t column shifter stuck

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
modelafish

Re: 64 a/t column shifter stuck

Post by modelafish »

PB Blaster to the rescue ! After soaking and letting it sit for a few hours, and jiggling and respraying, it finally came loose ! I think vicegrip had it right. Just (?) rust and corrosion at the bottom, but luckily not so bad that it couldn't be overcome. THANKS to all for the help and suggestions. If it works otherwise, I think I'll leave the wiring for another day and just continue on with the next segment.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

John,
Where did you get the screen prints?

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lots of them here Jim;
https://www.squarebirds.org/Manuals/196 ... talogs.htm
it was on the auto trans file. you should add that one to your favorites or bookmark it. lots of other fords in there too.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Excellent! Thanks, John. :D

Jim

modelafish

Post by modelafish »

Put the fireworks away. Not done yet.... The shifter moves now; maybe a little too much. I can't seem to get the collar (part 7228 in the diagram) to pull up snug to the outer housing (3511). With the two bolts/nuts and three screws tightened, I have almost a quarter inch gap. If I shift into Park it stays (secured by a separate hole in the housing) but pull the handle back and down and it'll plop all the way down to Low. Without being attached to the trans, this may be normal; but I thought the detents would hold it in place. (BTW, this is with the steering wheel attached and torqued to 30 lbs) There is spring tension between the collar and the housing, and if I pull the collar up snug against the housing, it moves freely between N, D1, & D2. But I have to pull back to get into L or R, and more for P. Of course, when I pull the collar back, the gap is now where the collar meets the column, and exposes the slot cut to accommodate the shift lever. (picture). Additionally, in the engine compartment, the arm coming out of the column to connect to the shift linkage (#7302) has a gap, showing that it's not going all the way to the left (as viewed by the driver). The column doesn't appear to be turned out of position because the tab on the bracket that holds the column to the bottom of the dash (#3668) is snug in the slot in the column. AAAnd, notice that the collar is color,-less. Someone else has had issues, and who knows what they did. I guess I need to check out the two Comets in the boneyards and see if they still have a column I can tear apart and see what ticks.
Attachments
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2077.JPG (41.09 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sent you a pm unrelated to this thread.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think the square headed bolts are not in their square holes on the column tube. you'll need them loosened as far as possible,with nuts only a thread or so on,,, to get them to hook in their holes.

only the sides of those square heads ''catch'' in those holes!!!!!

it's a bit tricky, when you get them all caught you can hold tension (UP towards you) on the collar with one hand & tighten the nuts with the other. better to do each one a little ,sorta tighten them all at the same time. when they are on right that gap wont show.

with all that out of whack it wont let the shifter work properly .

Edit ; Ok I said square holes but they're rectangular ,you can see them on the sides of this 3sp column near the top;
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JOHN is probably telling to the best advice,,,,,,listen to him and follow his lead,,,,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

modelafish

Post by modelafish »

poboyjo65 wrote:I think the square headed bolts are not in their square holes on the column tube. you'll need them loosened as far as possible,with nuts only a thread or so on,,, to get them to hook in their holes.

only the sides of those square heads ''catch'' in those holes!!!!!

it's a bit tricky, when you get them all caught you can hold tension (UP towards you) on the collar with one hand & tighten the nuts with the other. better to do each one a little ,sorta tighten them all at the same time. when they are on right that gap wont show.

with all that out of whack it wont let the shifter work properly .

Edit ; Ok I said square holes but they're rectangular ,you can see them on the sides of this 3sp column near the top;
Light Bulb ! I had no idea that's where the square headed bolts went ! When I put it back together yesterday, the square head fit easily into the recess in the back and I tightened it down; but it was still loose. So I put a washer under the nut. Then this morning, I'm looking at it and thinking: This doesn't do anything ! It's just a bolt and a nut thru a hole ! So it's just the tension on the side of the bolt head that holds it in place ??
Attachments
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG (52.68 KiB) Viewed 2937 times

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

yes!! the side of the head catches in those holes, & when it gets all the way tight it kinda wedges between the collar & column tube so the sides of those heads cant get out of the holes. those washers will have to come out!!!
Johno

modelafish

Post by modelafish »

Success ! Thank you poboyjo65 for the help that got me over the hump.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You're welcome . is the shifter working properly now?
Johno

modelafish

Post by modelafish »

It appears to be. The engine/trans is still out, so the linkage is not hooked up. There is no detent type of stop between N, D2, & D1, but there is for R, P, & L. I assume the transmission itself provides the resistance for those gears. There are no gaps with the housing/collar connection.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

as long as it is moving the lever that the linkage goes to it is probably good. & the detents sound normal. the ones you are not feeling will be felt when the trans is linked up. what you do feel is the detent plate in the pic of yours,you can see in the center it will move free;

in later years , after they changed the gear positions on the c4 trans, the detents changed so that only neutral & drive were open. you had to pull the shifter back to get it in the other gears.

also the orange arrow pointing to the slant in the square channel that wedges/forces the square head bolts (with orange dot & black one at bottom) into the holes of the column tube. & is why holding up while tightening holds the heads in the holes. when it's all tight the channel holds it secure from all angles.
Johno

modelafish

Post by modelafish »

This will probably be good info to have if I have to tear apart the 67 Fairlane column shift in my Model A. Thanks again.