The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
smithhe

Re: Finally building my 64 Comet

Post by smithhe »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:58 am
smithhe wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:40 am
..............Was there any other white colors offered in 64? ........
Polar White
I’ll have to look at the vin, do you know which number or letter this would be in the vin? And I was thinking of painting the wheels black but I’m still unsure, it would definitely be easier to just paint them gloss black but I think it would look more “original” if they were body color.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Just my unasked for opinion but steelies in red to accent your stripe or satin black with poverty caps would look good on your car.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

There should be a trim tag on left front door that will tell you the paint code and some other info. Should have a "M" under paint if it was polar white.

This may help

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1964-mercur ... ation.html

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:00 pm
There should be a trim tag on left front door that will tell you the paint code and some other info. Should have a "M" under paint if it was polar white.

This may help

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1964-mercur ... ation.html
Just looked and it has a M, good thing I looked at that cause I almost ordered some Wimbledon white lol, thanks for the help!!

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:41 pm
Just my unasked for opinion but steelies in red to accent your stripe or satin black with poverty caps would look good on your car.
Yah know the more I say it the more I like the sound of black Steelies, decisions decisions.....

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

white car ,,,white wheels...JMO....pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sounds like you've settled on the steelies. Get a pint/quart of Polar White and paint two wheels white. Paint the other two black. Mount your tires, put the white wheels on one side and black wheels on the other, then walk around the car a dozen times. Still can't decide? Take a pic of both sides and post them here. You'll probably get more help than you need. :lol:

Jim

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:41 pm
Sounds like you've settled on the steelies. Get a pint/quart of Polar White and paint two wheels white. Paint the other two black. Mount your tires, put the white wheels on one side and black wheels on the other, then walk around the car a dozen times. Still can't decide? Take a pic of both sides and post them here. You'll probably get more help than you need. :lol:

Jim
I might just give my photoshopping skills a test and post it on here :lol: thats alot of work just to decide a wheel color

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

what JIM said about same color on one side reminds me of a 54 ford I had about 15/16 yrso,,,didn't have a full set of whitewall tires,,,so I had white wall on one side and black wall,on the other,,,I didn't want black wall on both sides,,I worked my butt off to get 2 other white wall tires,,,,it was green with black painted stock steel whls, no caps /wwt's...that was the thing back in the 60's,,,today that 54 would have body color whls no caps black wall tires...pop
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

smithhe wrote:
Thank you guys for the replies, i think im going to go with the steel wheels only because i already have a set of TTD's on the car right now so if i ever get tired of the steel wheels then ill just throw the old ones back on. Now one thing i do need help with on the wheels is finding out what color white my car is. I know ford had Wimbledon white starting 64 but every time i look at a picture of a car painted in Wimbledon white it looks alot more cream colored than what my car is. Was there any other white colors offered in 64? According to my Grandfather my comet was never repainted but the previous owner could have been lying about that so who knows.
If you need some dog dish hub caps PM me. I have six nice caps with Mercury stamped into them. I think they would look much better than baby moon style.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:15 pm
I have six nice caps with Mercury stamped into them. I think they would look much better than baby moon style.
Gave a set of these to an old friend 25 years ago. Found them a week ago, digging in his barn. Might put 'em on one of his '65s. :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YOU need to notice just how the cap attaches to the wheels old caps pop on by useing knots on the outside of lug nut pattern,,,today's baby moons use 4 knots on inside of lug nut pattern.....been there !!! pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A/FX wrote:
smithhe wrote:
Thank you guys for the replies, i think im going to go with the steel wheels only because i already have a set of TTD's on the car right now so if i ever get tired of the steel wheels then ill just throw the old ones back on. Now one thing i do need help with on the wheels is finding out what color white my car is. I know ford had Wimbledon white starting 64 but every time i look at a picture of a car painted in Wimbledon white it looks alot more cream colored than what my car is. Was there any other white colors offered in 64? According to my Grandfather my comet was never repainted but the previous owner could have been lying about that so who knows.
If you need some dog dish hub caps PM me. I have six nice caps with Mercury stamped into them. I think they would look much better than baby moon style.
Jim
Man! Those caps on a deep dish 8-10" wheel,, Awesome!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:11 pm
A/FX wrote:
smithhe wrote:
Jim
Man! Those caps on a deep dish 8-10" wheel,, Awesome!
Fred
Oh i couldnt agree more, I cant wait!

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

This might be a long shot but does anyone have the measurements of the parts that crites makes for the leaf spring relocation? its so hard for me to spend $325 on something I could easily make in my garage in a weekend.