Question

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Racersonly

Question

Post by Racersonly »

New Comet owner here with a basic question.......
There’s a whole lot of pressure released when I open the gas cap on my newly acquired 65 Caliente Convertible. The gas tank appears to be rather new. Like it was replaced fairly recently. Should the cap be vented?
Jack Bartelt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible

barrys65cyclone

Re: Question

Post by barrys65cyclone »

yes

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Vented caps only let air in. I had the same problem the pressure got so high it stopped my electric fuel pump!
Only happened on long runs and was a pain to find.
I had to drill a hole in the cap to relieve pressure. I need to address that issue with a vapour canister of some kind.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Racer! :D Looks like you got your answer. How about posting in "Introduce Yourself" so more folks will see it and get to meet you. Tell us about your ride, and post some pics. We love those. Here's how:
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... age#p97068

Jim

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

11 Much Fabrication https://www.iimuch.com/ makes a direct connect tank vent and also remote version .
I have the remote version that I am going to utilize .Sorry its not installed yet so no pics yet
I am using have a new stock 65 tank modified for fuel injection pump and float-less fuel sender ,the tank vent port of the fuel pump will run via braided line up to the remote 11 much canister mounted high outboard of the trunk hinge . the outlet port of the 11much canister will be routed down through the trunk floor via an AN bulkead fitting to the 11 much sintered bronze vent fitting which will vent somewhere around the 9 inch pumpkin .. the 11 much canister is like a fancy check valve .. pricey but when it comes to safety I think its the best way to go . Less chance of fumes in your trunk or garage