Headliner question

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Headliner question

Post by DesertRat »

My 65 2D hardtop needs a new headliner. Is the aftermarket one piece glue-in the only option or can one add bows and a standard type headliner?
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

SASSY

Re: Headliner question

Post by SASSY »

I didnt know there was a one piece in 65.
They did have one with bows and fabric.
My 64 had several panels held in with plastic strips.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I misspoke, it is not a one piece headliner. It was four panels held in place by two longitudinal plastic strips and fastened at the edges. I talked to my interior guy and he is up for installing an exact replacement or the type with the bows. He will install the available kit or custom build whichever one I decide on. Thanks for the reply.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

If there is anything left of your present headliner please don't toss it. There arent a lot of those pieces left, I'm sure someone could use them.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Comets came with either the cardboard headliner or the normal soft vinyl/ bow style. If your car had the cardboard type it can be converted to the bow style easily. All the holes are in the roof channels for the metal bows, you will need the bows and the unique plastic channel that holds the headliner above the side glass. The channel from the cardboard headliner is completely different compared to the soft headliner piece. The windscreen and rear window need to be removed to install the soft headliner correctly, the fabric needs to be glued under the rubber seals of the glass. I just converted my Cyclone to the soft fabric style, I had a complete headliner from a parts car I stripped back in the ‘70’s, my upholstery guy used the old headliner for a pattern to make my new headliner. I had to tape the old one together so it could be measured, it was very rough.
We used perforated vinyl for the new headliner. Here is a bad photo, the color is actually blood red, not bright red.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks all for the input. A/FX I really like your headliner. Can one find the unique plastic channel above the side glass or does it have to come from a donor. My guy said he could make the bows from scratch unless someone has a suggestion where to buy new ones. Also is the vinyl headliner re-popped? I bought one for my 65 404 post car and installed it myself but I did not have to search bows. The originals were good.
Sassy the only thing left of the original is the thin plywood main sheet and the two longitudinal plastic strips that hold the headliner to the roof. I do have decent removable bases that the longitudinal strips clip onto as well.
:D

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ya the plastic!
The gold!
I kid but where does a person get one?
I'm sure someone will want them.
Fred
I'm kinda like a gopher, always go for the shiny stuff

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MY soft fabric headliner was put in over 20 odd yrs ago,,,,the frt and rear glass was not removed to do it,,,,today it's still all good.….seems like the old man that done mine was on top of his game !!! huh?? pop ( he;s dead N and gone now) pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:24 am
Ya the plastic!
The gold!
I kid but where does a person get one?
I'm sure someone will want them.
Fred
Fred those are cool ,I'd like to have a set of those to go with my inside-out drip rail molding ! :P
Johno

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I remember when stripping my 65 HT Vinyl liner I though that I need to mark the headliner bows (rod style ) and their location .. which I did but I lost a chunk of pictures and over the years the sharpie on the tape has faded.. Looks like originally they where colour coded ..There seem to be lots of holes close together. Can you guys elaborate on the bows and their position ? So in 5 years when I am at that stage I can get it right

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:13 am
SASSY wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:24 am
Fred those are cool ,I'd like to have a set of those to go with my inside-out drip rail molding ! :P
I've got some fishing lures I bet I could catch both you guys with. Ooo-o-o-o....Shiny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

My decision is made. I vetted my steel lockstrip bases and the plastic snap on keepers and I am going to install a factory original type headliner. They are rare and I have good original parts to use so-------------I will probably buy the kit that it shows for it and have a go at it. The front and rear glass are coming out anyway for new rubber gaskets. I did put the vinyl headliner in my 65 404 after vinyl dyeing it to color. It took me a week--------

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

DesertRat wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:51 pm
My decision is made. I vetted my steel lockstrip bases and the plastic snap on keepers and I am going to install a factory original type headliner. They are rare and I have good original parts to use so-------------I will probably buy the kit that it shows for it and have a go at it. The front and rear glass are coming out anyway for new rubber gaskets. I did put the vinyl headliner in my 65 404 after vinyl dyeing it to color. It took me a week--------
Is it the one like this?;
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Yes, that is the headliner my car had/will have. Mine has the original factory floor shift the one in the photo is aftermarket.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

DesertRat wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:23 am
Yes, that is the headliner my car had/will have. Mine has the original factory floor shift the one in the photo is aftermarket.
I think someone in the know will give us a history lesson as to why the aftermarket shifter,,,
Fred