Rocker Molding ?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Rocker Molding ?

Post by DesertRat »

I am stripping my car for body work and paint. I took the Stainless rocker molding off today and see there are clip fasteners I will have to replace. Can anyone point me to a source for the clips or suggest a workable alternative?
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Rocker Molding ?

Post by A/FX »

You failed to mention the year/ model of your Comet.
If you have a ‘64 Cyclone Auto Krafters has these: https://www.autokrafters.com/Mercury-Cy ... a076a.aspx
They are reproduction so they may not fit as original, I do not believe they have the sealant like the factory clips. They are also very pricey.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

A/FX wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:06 pm
You failed to mention the year/ model of your Comet.
If you have a ‘64 Cyclone Auto Krafters has these: https://www.autokrafters.com/Mercury-Cy ... a076a.aspx
They are reproduction so they may not fit as original, I do not believe they have the sealant like the factory clips. They are also very pricey.
Sorry my car is a 1965 Cyclone. The rocker molding is one piece that goes between the wheel wells below the door sill.

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Over the last couple of months I went through and replaced all of my molding clips. I suggest you look at my post history - you will see quite a number of posts of my trying to find various clips. If you can't find one then re-post here or send me a PM - I suspect I can help.

I was able to find a source for every clip on the 1965 convertible with one exception: A retainer at the ends of the molding strip that rides on top of the door (just next to the belt-line weather stripping). The main clips in that channel I could find however I had to fabricate the end clips (on my car there were only two of them as they were used only on the doors (and not the quarter panels)).
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

kevinshi wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 pm
Over the last couple of months I went through and replaced all of my molding clips. I suggest you look at my post history - you will see quite a number of posts of my trying to find various clips. If you can't find one then re-post here or send me a PM - I suspect I can help.

I was able to find a source for every clip on the 1965 convertible with one exception: A retainer at the ends of the molding strip that rides on top of the door (just next to the belt-line weather stripping). The main clips in that channel I could find however I had to fabricate the end clips (on my car there were only two of them as they were used only on the doors (and not the quarter panels)).
Thanks. I got the rocker mouldings off without damage and have plenty of samples to show. I will read through your thread thanks for the tip.